╌>

Slow-cooker car: Man roasts pork in Datsun during Australian heatwave

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freefaller  •  5 years ago  •  10 comments

Slow-cooker car: Man roasts pork in Datsun during Australian heatwave

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A man took advantage of an Australian heatwave last week, using it as an opportunity to cook pork roast — in his car. On Dec. 13, Perth resident Stu Pengelly placed a 3.3-pound pork roast inside his old Datsun Sunny. After 10 hours passed, the slab of meat was fully cooked.

In a Facebook post detailing the experiment, conducted on a 39-degree day, the Australian noted the temperatures inside the car at 7 a.m., 10 a.m. and 1 p.m., which were 30, 52 and 81 C, respectively.

Pengelly used the experiment to show how dangerous it is to leave animals and children inside hot cars. "My warning is do not leave anyone or anything precious to you in a hot car, not for a minute," he wrote in the post, which included photos of his car and the cooked roast, sliced on a platter. "If you do see kids or dogs in a hot car, do not hesitate to smash a window to get them out ASAP. It is not an offence to do this and you could save a life. Please keep a watch out."

While the experiment had a deeper cause, Pengelly had fun with it, too. Speaking to Reuters, he said he wanted to try out a roast beef next to see if it would cook as perfectly as the pork. "A quiche would cook in two hours, I reckon," he added.

Others also saw humour in the situation, with one asking for an invite to his next roast and another saying they'd definitely break out a pork roast if they saw it locked inside a car.

In a video shared by ABC Great Southern , Pengelly can be seen slicing the pork and taking a bite. "A bit of Texas spice, salt and pepper," he says in the footage. "It worked! Go Datsun oven!"

The Australian Bureau of Meteorology has projected a severe heatwave for the week, reporting Dec. 17 as their hottest day on record at 40.9 degrees. It exceeded the previous record of 40.3 degrees on Jan. 7, 2013.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    5 years ago

A good message and he gets some roast port at end of it (hopefully with some nice cold applesauce)

For anyone not familiar with Celsius the temps inside the car were approx. 86F, 126F and 178F while the outside temp got to approx. 106F

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Freefaller @1    5 years ago

The city I live in has earned one of it's nicknames to be "Furnace of China", perhaps because it's kind of like the bottom of a bowl, due to being surrounded by mountains.  During July and early August 40 degree centigrade temperatures are commonplace. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    5 years ago

Interesting it very rarely hits 30 where I am.  Has anyone cooked food in their car there?  Or is there a problem with children or pets being locked in vehicles?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Freefaller @1.1.1    5 years ago

If anyone cooked food in their car I've never heard of it, and as well I've never heard of anyone leaving a child or pet in an overheated car here.  That doesn't mean it has never happened, I just have never heard of it.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.2    5 years ago
I've never heard of anyone leaving a child or pet in an overheated car here. 

Well I'll take that as a hopefully good thing

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.2  Revillug  replied to  Freefaller @1    5 years ago

I wouldn't eat that pork. It might look cooked but it is probably deadly.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Revillug @1.2    5 years ago

Why would you think that? I (and many others) have used slow cookers (including for roasts) for decades and it hasn't killed me yet, in fact it's usually quite tasty.  I also believe smokers use low cooking temps over many hours and that shit is delicious. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Revillug @1.2    5 years ago

You could probably eat it. Pork doesn't have the trichinosis that it used to have due to better feeding regimens for pigs.

And Freefaller is right about smoking meat. Mr Giggles likes to smoke a butt a few times a year

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

Yesterday was the hottest day in Australian history. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago

Yup, and here I sit looking out on a field of snow with sub-zero temps.  Lol, it's not fair.