╌>

Dogs can count, new study reveals

Category:  Pets & Animals

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  3 comments

By:   AARON REICH

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In total, 11 of the dogs passed the test with flying colors and, no doubt, earning a well-deserved treat.

‘As Shimon BarkSpeaked me when I complained about his dog, "My dog barks. So what?”’    (photo credit: Wikimedia Commons)

Dogs are one of the few animals bred for intelligence, but even still, humans can be surprised at  just how smart  man's best friend can be.

While dogs already display the intelligence needed to come when called and recognize their own name, it was thought that counting is something that eluded them.

However, according to a new study from Emory University in Atlanta, dogs absolutely can count – at least, the amount of treats put in their bowls,  Science Magazine  reported.

In his study published in the journal  Biology Letters , Emory neuroscientist Gregory Berns used 11 dogs from a variety of different breeds to ascertain whether there was a sense of numbers.

Using pioneering brain scanning techniques created for dogs, the canine test subjects were fixated on a light array showing gray dots on a b[l]ack background – changing these numbers every 300 milliseconds. As these numbers changed, activity was detected in the dogs' parietotemporal cortex. A similar region in the human brain – the parietal cortex – is what allows humans to have any comprehension in a change in numbers.

“We went right to the source, observing the dogs’ brains, to get a direct understanding of what their neurons were doing when the dogs viewed varying quantities of dots,” explained Lauren Aulet, a PhD candidate and the first author of the study. “That allowed us to bypass the weaknesses of previous behavioral studies of dogs and some other species.”

In total, 11 of the dogs passed the test with flying colors and, no doubt, earning a well-deserved treat.

“Our work not only shows that dogs use a similar part of their brain to process numbers of objects as humans do — it shows that they don’t need to be trained to do it,” said Berns in a university press release.

The implications for this study are hugely important for evolution, as even though humans and dogs have over 80 million years of evolution between them, “Our results provide some of the strongest evidence yet that numerosity is a shared neural mechanism that goes back at least that far,” explained Berns, who is also the founder of the Dog Project, which focuses on evolutionary studies regarding our canine companions.

Regarding more complicated math, however, this is something beyond canine capacity. Humans are able to draw from their prefrontal cortex to do complex math like algebra, something dogs aren't able to do.

As for numerical capabilities of man's most aloof companion, the  cat , the jury is still out. While it has been hypothesized that cats can, in fact, count, tests remain inconclusive.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Where were these dogs when I had to write my calculus exam?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

Not sure about the counting but they sure can tell time. If Wiki's food isn't in her bowl at the exact time she will stand looking at her bowl for a couple of minutes and if nothing happens she will stand there at bark until food is delivered. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3  Enoch    5 years ago

Dogs can count?

That figures.

Enoch, Calculating with Canines.