╌>

At the center of the opioid crisis, a West Virginia camp offers kids a 'safe place'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  6 comments

At the center of the opioid crisis, a West Virginia camp offers kids a 'safe place'
Camp Mariposa in Princeton, West Virginia, is one of more than a dozen free camps around the country focused on kids who have a family member with a substance abuse disorder.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

It's nice to see the Spanish word "Mariposa", which translated is "butterfly", being used to name something special. Back in my day, I was one of the persons who for a number of years operated the Mariposa Folk Festival in the Toronto area.

In case anyone besides myself in unable to open nbcnews.com, a description of the camps and their purpose can be found here:

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

Excellent.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

Kids shouldn't have to be this brave.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
5  Enoch    5 years ago

Good for those who makes such camps possible.

Good for those who let us know about them, in case we didn't know.

Good is ti be preferred to bad.

P&AB.

Enoch.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6  Jasper2529    5 years ago

This is a wonderful program, and we need more of them for families, especially children.

Camp Mariposa ® is a national addiction prevention and mentoring program for children who have been impacted by substance abuse in their families. The transformational weekend camp, offered 4-6 times a year for children ages 9-12, provides a safe, fun and supportive environment critical to helping to break the cycle of addiction. Campers participate in traditional camp activities combined with education and support exercises led by Penn Foundation’s mental health professionals and trained mentors. Camp Mariposa is offered free-of-charge to all families thanks to our partnership with Eluna and the generosity of individuals and business in the community.

I'm glad that the children learn the Three C's that families and friends of addiction learn in Nar-Anon, Al-Anon, and similar programs along with the vital self-help C's --

Go home with resources to know that they didn’t CAUSE it, can’t CONTROL it, can’t CURE it, but they can take CARE of themselves,  by COMMUNICATING their feelings, making good CHOICES, and CELEBRATING them!