The Effect Of The Early Political Primaries Is Pure Insanity

By:  john-russell  •  2 months ago  •  46 comments

The Effect Of The Early Political Primaries Is Pure Insanity
It's not just that Iowa and New Hampshire are largely homogeneous white population states with limited demographic diversity, although that is part of the problem, but the real problem is that those two comprise a sliver of the national voter base in numbers. 

Chuck Todd told a Biden surrogate that if he doesnt finish in the top two in Iowa tonight , his campaign is in trouble. Todd told a Sanders surrogate that is he doesnt win (come in first) in either Iowa of New Hampshire Sanders is toast.  People like Todd say there are a limited number of "tickets" out of Iowa and if you dont win one of those tickets you might as well fold. 

All this should be perceived as ridiculous, but of course , because the media controls our perceptions of what the early primaries mean, Todd's bs is seen as clear eyed realism. 

It's not just that Iowa and New Hampshire are largely homogeneous white population states with limited demographic diversity, although that is part of the problem, but the real problem is that those two comprise a sliver of the national voter base in numbers.  

It's like you are playing a baseball game and you decide after the first inning that one of the teams should drop out of the game because they are behind. Or a group of six people are bowling against one another and the ones who dont throw a strike in the first frame are told to quit the game. 

On it's face, putting all the emphasis on the first three or four voting states to "weed out" the field is ridiculous, and disenfranchises millions of potential primary voters . If I am in Illinois, or New York, or many other populous states, by the time the primary process gets here my preferred candidate may have been forced out by the results of the first three or four (out of 50) states. 

We should have regional primaries (groups of states in the same geographical region), and the states within each region all vote on the same day, and the entire primary process (all regions) is contained within six weeks or so. Have all the primaries in April and May and the convention in June.  This would also have the benefit of shortening these absurd presidential campaigns that last two years. 

The current system is for the benefit of the media which gets to become kingmakers due to the results in the early states.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

JohnRussell
1  author  JohnRussell    2 months ago

If Biden comes in third or fourth in both Iowa and New Hampshire, all we will hear from the media is that he is "done". 

Why on God's earth should that be the case?  Maybe his support lies somewhere in the other 48 states. 

The same for the other candidates. 

Greg Jones
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 months ago

Right now Bernie is the favorite for tonight. That's bodes well for the Republicans.

charger 383
2  charger 383    2 months ago

The campaign season is way too long, By election day most people are tired of it and want it to be done.  

Nerm_L
3  Nerm_L    2 months ago

Now you're catching on.  The Democratic primary calendar is intended to attract political donations; not select a candidate.  Superdelegates pick the Democratic nominee.  The Democratic primary has been rigged for many decades.

The Democratic Party is all about the money.  But then, so is the Republican Party.  Political parties are private businesses that operate like any other business.  Since both political parties are in the same business and chasing the same political donors; why would it be surprising that the two parties become alike?

Party politics isn't about governing.  Party politics is about raising money; that's what the national committees are all about.  Both political parties sell division to obtain more money; that's the motivation and goal for party politics.  The amount of money raised by the parties determines how much political propaganda can be disseminated to create division and influence an election.

As a nation, we are spending hundreds of billions of dollars on politics.  Spending more on politics has only increased political polarization and divided the country.  We are rewarding politicians for dividing the country.  That's the source of the problem.

loki12
3.1  loki12  replied to  Nerm_L @3    2 months ago
The Democratic Party is all about the money.

And that is why Hillary was able to buy the nomination in 2016 and Michael (Stop and frisk people of Color) Bloomberg is buying his way into the debates and maybe the nomination.  He even bought a cute little box to stand on. 

How much would it cost to get Booker on the debate stage? 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  loki12 @3.1    2 months ago

Oh come on. Both parties are about the money? How else can they exist? In any case that is not what this article is about.

loki12
3.1.2  loki12  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.1    2 months ago

How long before you register this as the official Michael Bloomberg election site?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  loki12 @3.1.2    2 months ago

What the heck does that have to do with what I wrote? 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  loki12 @3.1.2    2 months ago

Oh and btw.. please keep up with the news. Bloomberg is not on the ballot in Iowa... 

Raven Wing
3.1.5  Raven Wing  replied to  loki12 @3.1.2    2 months ago
How long before you register this as the official Michael Bloomberg election site?

That is really a cheap and uncalled for personal attack, Dude. And where are the funds you contribute to this site that gives you the right to question what Perrie does with her own site anyway?

You don't like what she does, then you are free to walk through the Exit door at any time.  

loki12
3.1.6  loki12  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1.5    2 months ago

Anybody seen bad fish? Uncle Bruce? Or old school Marine?

Looks like you will get your echo chamber where everyone can mindlessly bleat in unison.

loki12
3.1.7  loki12  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.4    2 months ago

By the way, I was talking about Mr. stop and frisk undesirables, ie people of color buying his way into the debates as a response to Nerm L

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.1.8  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  loki12 @3.1.6    2 months ago

Fish left over personal reasons. Bruce and I are still friends and he comes here on and off. OSM, death wished my kids, so I banned him.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
3.1.9  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  loki12 @3.1.6    2 months ago

Please take your complaints to a more private setting.  

Raven Wing
3.1.10  Raven Wing  replied to  loki12 @3.1.6    2 months ago
Looks like you will get your echo chamber where everyone can mindlessly bleat in unison.

So now you are making rude and derogatory personal attacks on me as well? 

As much as you like to think so, you don't know jack s*it about me, so don't try to sling your feces at me. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.1.11  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  loki12 @3.1.7    2 months ago
By the way, I was talking about Mr. stop and frisk undesirables, ie people of color buying his way into the debates as a response to Nerm L

Do you mean like the TSA? Yes, he was profiling, but the only difference between him and the TSA is that he said what he was doing and the TSA stops little old ladies and kids pretending they are not profiling so they can continue to protect us. Do you think he was stopping and frisking black men in business suits?

Oh, and may I remind you about "Giuliani Time"? That was when our cops felt so empowered under Giuliani that they Jonny mopped Abner Louima. And it was under Giuliani that stop and frisk started. 

Or the shooting of Amadou Diallo by 4 plain-clothed cops who mistook him for someone else and shot him 41 times for showing his wallet? The mayor was Giuliani.

He had is fair share of distrust and was unliked by the time his last term was almost over. If it wasn't for his good job after 9/11, he would not have been remembered well at all. 

Tessylo
3.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.11    2 months ago

What good job did Ghouliani do after 9/11?

loki12
3.1.13  loki12  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.11    2 months ago
Yes, he was profiling,

People with dark skin, What do we call those people?  Obviously he should be the front runner.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.1.14  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  loki12 @3.1.13    2 months ago

It wasn't only people with dark skin. It was suspicious activity. And who is the "he", since both Giuliani and Bloomberg used it? 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.1.15  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.12    2 months ago

He kept the city calm and was very unifying, under a very stressful situation. He took command of the cleanup, and kept everyone informed. If only the EPA didn't lie to us about the actual conditions, we would have been OK. 

loki12
3.1.16  loki12  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.14    2 months ago
It was suspicious activity.

And yet......The suspicious ones all had elevated melanin, weird how that worked out. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/17/nyregion/bloomberg-stop-and-frisk-new-york.html

since both  Giuliani and Bloomberg used it

Gee, is Giuliani running to bring his racist policies nation wide?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.1.17  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  loki12 @3.1.16    2 months ago
Gee, is Giuliani running to bring his racist policies nation wide?

No, he is just part of Trump's legal team. 

And maybe you missed it, but Bloomberg said it was a mistake. 

loki12
3.1.18  loki12  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.17    2 months ago
Bloomberg said it was a mistake. 

Racist always say that when they get caught, Hillary apologized for calling African Americans super predators....so that makes it alright now to support the racist.  They said they were sorry.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Nerm_L @3    2 months ago
We are rewarding politicians for dividing the country.  That's the source of the problem.

There you go!

Dean Moriarty
4  Dean Moriarty    2 months ago

I don't understand why anyone would watch Chuck Todd or care what he thinks. 

Greg Jones
4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4    2 months ago

I miss Tim Russert. He always came well prepared and didn't spare either party's feelings when it came to sorting out the BS.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1    2 months ago

We all miss Tim. 

JohnRussell
4.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4    2 months ago

The media dictates the course of what happens as a result of the primaries. 

That's one of the reasons the media is to blame for Trump being president. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4    2 months ago

I agree with you there, Dean.

dennis smith
4.4  dennis smith  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4    2 months ago

I watched Tim Russert until he passed. Chuck Todd does a miserable job of trying to be neutral. I think Meet The Press should end unless they find a neutral moderator.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.4.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dennis smith @4.4    2 months ago

You seem to forget that they had David Gregory, who was a very fair man, but no one could take to him because he followed Tim. I wouldn't want MTP to end, but Todd is no Russert. 

Raven Wing
4.4.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.4.1    2 months ago
I wouldn't want MTP to end, but Todd is no Russert

Totally agree. 

dennis smith
4.4.3  dennis smith  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.4.1    2 months ago

I remember Gregory, as Tim's successor he really had no chance of suceeding.

I would rather MTP go off the air if a replacement for Todd cannot be found soon with someone who can and will follow in Tim's footsteps. 

Tacos!
5  Tacos!    2 months ago

I can't disagree with the sentiment behind this. I would prefer to see primaries in a group of states right off the bat instead of one or two. I don't know if it needs to be regional, specifically. I think that presents the same sort of problem with limited diversity that we already have, just writ a little larger.

I'd also like to see the whole thing more abbreviated so that politicians aren't campaigning for half their terms.

The media inflates the importance of these things, but the power to make change lies with the parties. What could compel them to change?

Ronin2
5.1  Ronin2  replied to  Tacos! @5    2 months ago

So long as the money keeps rolling in over the course of the entire campaign period, nothing.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
6  Perrie Halpern R.A.    2 months ago

Here is the deal.

This is one state. It isn't even a big state. It doesn't even represent the American population. What is the big deal with this state? I even heard caucus members joking that they will caucus with the group who brought the better cookies. The media should be shot for making such a big deal about this.

dennis smith
6.1  dennis smith  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6    2 months ago

Spot on about the media. They have no conscience 

Raven Wing
6.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6    2 months ago

What I strongly dislike is that the Electoral College can determine the winner of the election before our votes on the voting on the West Coast has even ended. Just like it did with Trump.

It that is the case, why bother to even have voting done by all 50 states at all? 

IMHO, the winner of the election should not be determined until ALL votes across ALL of America, at the least, have been posted. To me, that is the only fair way to hold any election. 

The Electoral College is totally out dated and needs to be ended. It gives a false determination of the true winner of the most votes, which should be the only determining factor in the election as to who the real winner is. 

And no, it does not just relate to Trump, it can, and should, apply to every election. Otherwise, letting the Electoral College determine the winner presents a false determination of who the real winner is. 

It also discourages some people in the Western states from voting, saying that. "why bother to vote when the voting polls have not even closed, or our votes even counted, when the winner of the election is already posted by the Electoral College. So why waste their time?"

That is not right for them not to vote, but, their frustration in not doing so is understandable, or justified.

JMOO

BeastOfTheEast
7  BeastOfTheEast    2 months ago

More than four hours after the caucuses started with Sen. Bernie Sanders, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg and former Vice President Joe Biden vying for first place, the first results of 1,600 precincts have yet to emerge.

And campaigns were told in the early morning hours Tuesday not expect any results until later in the day, two officials tell CNN.

An Iowa Democratic official said results are still being collected -- and that will overnight if the precinct chairs keep calling them in. No time estimate was given to campaigns. "They literally have no verified results," a senior campaign adviser said. "We won't know anything until sometime Tuesday -- at least."

PS: Or until the DNC tells us which candidate we need to announce as the winner.

RIGGED jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
7.1  Tessylo  replied to  BeastOfTheEast @7    2 months ago

RIGGED?

No, just an app that failed.  

tRump called it a sloppy trainwreck, he must have been looking in the mirror.  

Dean Moriarty
7.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Tessylo @7.1    2 months ago

The Republican Iowa caucus went smooth as silk with Trump winning 97% of the vote yesterday. 

Just Jim NC TttH
7.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Dean Moriarty @7.1.1    2 months ago
https://www.npr.org/2020/01/14/795906732/despite-election-security-fears-iowa-caucuses-will-use-new-smartphone-app

And the OOPS!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/iowa-caucus-results-delayed-by-apparent-app-issue-11580801699 The mobile app that appears to have caused problems during the Iowa presidential caucuses was built by a small Washington, D.C.-based company called Shadow Inc., the tech arm connected to nonprofit progressive digital strategy firm Acronym, according to people familiar with the matter.
State records show that the Iowa Democratic Party paid Shadow a little more than $63,000 over two payments in November and December. Shadow describes itself as a company that builds “affordable and easy-to-use tools” for progressives, according to its website.

So "progressives" interfered in their own caucus by a lack of testing and a run through or two to prove the viability. And Nevada is planning on using much the same program from Shadow.....................

Nevada is currently planning to use a similar mobile app to record results during its caucus later this month. The Nevada State Democratic Party paid $58,000 to Shadow in August, according to Federal Election Commission records. Representatives for the Nevada State Democratic Party didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

I guess they forgot the old "trust but verify" ............................

loki12
7.1.4  loki12  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.1.2    2 months ago

They should give it to CrowdStrike to check, I'm sure they will tell us it was the Russians.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
7.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dean Moriarty @7.1.1    2 months ago

Dean,

You are joking, right?

Dean Moriarty
7.1.6  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.5    2 months ago

No it’s true but you won’t see much coverage of it on the liberal MSM. 
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/481300-trump-wins-iowa-gop-caucuses

katrix
7.1.7  katrix  replied to  Dean Moriarty @7.1.6    2 months ago

Well, since the GOP squashed any chance of a GOP primary, that was pretty much a given.

Not that the DNC doesn't do the same thing when the incumbent is a Dem, of course.