╌>

Give it Back, or Keep it??

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  27 comments

Give it Back, or Keep it??

Ok, so you walk into a Convenience store and buy $15.00 worth of items. You hand the cashier a 20 dollar bill. the cashier bags the items and hands you a ten dollar bill .....

What would you do...keep the ten dollars or tellthe the cashier they made a mistake??

You have to be honest!!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

I would tell the cashier they made a mistake...It's the right thing to do, and the cashier would possibly get fired if the drawer didn't add up correctly.

LynneA
Freshman Silent
link   LynneA    9 years ago

Without hesitation let the cashier know a mistake was made.

Will admit I found $10.00 while walking in the woods and kept it, no one to turn it into.

Nona62
Professor Silent

When myoldest daughter was about 7 years old, we walked into a grocery store ,and my daughter saw a $20.00 bill. She picked it up,I asked her what she thought she shod do wit it, she looked at m and said "give it back to who it belongs to'. We went to the front desk and she handed the money to the cashier and told explained to her that she had found it. the cashier smiled at her and told her , that she would keep the money for 2 weeks, and if nobody claimed, she cold have it. (there was no way to track down the person that lost it) After 2 weeks the cashier called and told us that nobody had come to claim it and the $20.00 was hers. We went to the store to get the money and the cashier handed it to me and I told her no, it goes to my daughter, she is the one who found it. The cashier smiled and handed my daughter the money and told her that she was very proud of her for turning it in. My daughter/s eyes lit up with pride.

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent
link   LoneRanger01    9 years ago

To be honest, yes I would give it back,...but, yes there is a but. with the cash registers today they tell the clerk how much to give in change so, while I would give the money back I would also add ,with sarcasm, just where did you go to school....

Nona62
Professor Silent

A customer evidently dropped on their way out of the store, and there was no way to find out who it belonged and no wayto contact them.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Good point LR. the cash registers today are pretty much 100% accurate.

Nona62
Professor Silent

When my daughter found the money laying there on the ground she knew that it should be turned in.

Mistakes happen all of the time. Good for you for being honest...,,even though it was only 75 cents.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

That Bear in the woods is still looking for it Lynne. I shall remain mum on this though.Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

I've always given it back.

Once, I found a bunch of items in my bags that I hadn't paid for-- the guy ringing stuff up forgot to punch it in. I keep a rough running total in my head and I didn't think too much about it, until I got out into the car. So, I loaded my cart and took it all up to the service desk and said, "I don't think you charged me enough. It seems that the checkout guy forgot to charge me for some of my items." Big hue and cry. They called security, and I explained again. It was like I had shoplifted. I hadn't!!! I was trying to be honest!

Never again will I do that. But, if they give me too much change, and I catch it, I'll give it back to them. I don't think they know what to do when people are honest.

LynneA
Freshman Silent

Nona, what a great teaching moment! Your daughter probably remembers it to this day.

Honesty is best taught by example. I've also been undercharged and felt it only right to bring it to the cashiers attention. Like your teachable moment, my daughter was "why did you tell them?", launching us into conversation about honesty and its importance.

LynneA
Freshman Silent

I'm thinking the bear is getting long in the tooth as it was years ago, but certain it could still out-run me! Thanks for the cover Smile.gif .

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man    9 years ago

Give it back and ask for the correct change.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Lynne, she does remember it, as a matter of fact. we were just talking about yesterday, that's what gave me the ide to do this article. I was curious what she thought should be done with the money, I was so proud of her when she said to give it back.

Nona62
Professor Silent

That's for sure...

Nona62
Professor Silent

Yup...honest is always the policy....don't forget about Karma!!

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man    9 years ago

Good for you! and that IS the correct message.

I had this happen to me once in a Denny's also, I was told not to worry about it by the hostess, they missed it so it was on the house and refused every effort to pay.

Still haven't quite accepted that one yet. Doesn't feel right.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Oh Dowser......you must have felt so embarrassed when they called security!, even though you did nothing wrong!

Nona62
Professor Silent

God for you MM. I think later in life your son figured out what you meant.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Just remember, YOU did nothing wrong.

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    9 years ago
Give it back, of course. But if I find it lying in the street, with no way to find who lost it, I'm keeping it.

Nona62
Professor Silent

And, I think that's OK.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    9 years ago

Nona62
Professor Silent

Great video.....thanks for posting this! What a great ending, John giving the homeless woman the check...