╌>

Coronavirus Patient’s Pet Dog Tests Positive for ‘Low Level’ of Virus

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  30 comments

By:    DOMINIC LAU / BLOOMBERG

Coronavirus Patient’s Pet Dog Tests Positive for ‘Low Level’ of Virus
The pet dog of a coronavirus patient in Hong Kong has been found to have a “low level” of the virus, the Hong Kong government said early Friday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

he pet dog of a coronavirus patient in Hong Kong has been found to have a “low level” of the virus, the Hong Kong government said early Friday.

The dog tested “weak positive” for the coronavirus, the city’s agricultural and fisheries department said in a   statement , without giving further details. Officials will carry out further tests to confirm whether the dog has really been infected with the disease, or if it was a result of environmental contamination of its mouth and nose.

Much is still not known about the virus that is spreading around the world after emerging in central China late last year. It is thought to have transferred to humans from bats and has been shown   to spread   in a number of ways, but the Hong Kong agricultural department said it doesn’t have evidence that pet animals can be infected, or be a source of infection to people.

Virus Expert on the Wuhan Coronavirus Outbreak: 'Don’t Be Complacent. We Must Treat It Extremely Seriously'

Hong Kong infectious disease expert Yuen Kwok-yung discussed the situation of the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak with TIME in an exclusive interview. He warns that the disease is very infectious and control measures must be followed.

If confirmed, the dog would be the first case of a pet catching the coronavirus amid a global outbreak  that’s now infected more than 82,000 people and claimed more than 2,800 lives.

The dog is being quarantined at an animal facility, the Hong Kong government said. The department strongly advised that pets of confirmed virus patients also be put under quarantine.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

One should know that dogs and cats get coronavirus, but I think they are referring to the human strain in this article.

Species jumping is never a good thing when it comes to a virus.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    4 years ago
Species jumping is never a good thing when it comes to a virus.

No doubt .... not good at all if true.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    4 years ago

Did you ever read "The Stand" by Stephen King?

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.2.1  zuksam  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2    4 years ago

Watch out for Flagg!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  zuksam @1.2.1    4 years ago

I see you've read it or at least seen the mini series

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.3  KDMichigan  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.2    4 years ago

Read it long before the mini series. My gawd that book was thicker than the bible. Par for course the book was way better than the series.

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.2.4  zuksam  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.2    4 years ago

I read it a long time ago and I've watched the mini series a few times. I've always been a big fan of post apocalyptic Books, Movies, and TV.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  zuksam @1.2.4    4 years ago

I read that book back in high school and read it over and over. Then King re-published it with some of the stuff that was edited out put back in. I had to buy it in hardback and I think that book weighs close to 8 pounds. But I'm glad I bought it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.3    4 years ago

The mini-series wasn't too awful but I didn't care for the casting for most of the main characters

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.7  KDMichigan  replied to  zuksam @1.2.4    4 years ago
I've always been a big fan of post apocalyptic Books, Movies, and TV.

My wife hates my sci-fi addiction. I get the groan every time I'm watching it on TV. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
1.2.8  lady in black  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2    4 years ago

Love that book!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  lady in black @1.2.8    4 years ago

The reason I brought it up is because the virus in that book killed off most of man's bffs like dogs and horses but left cows and cats.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.10  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2    4 years ago

Sure did! I love Stephen King! But I also read "The Strain". That went into how a pathogen spreads in great detail, though I doubt we will become Nazi vampires, LOL. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.11  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.10    4 years ago

The Strain.  

Didn't read the book but the TV adaptation was pretty entertaining i thought.

I'm all in on Zombie and Vampire shows

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.10    4 years ago

I saw the series and it was scary.

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.2.13  zuksam  replied to  Sparty On @1.2.11    4 years ago
The Strain

I loved that TV show but then they canceled it and pissed me off. Why do they cancel the good shows while the crappy shows seem to go on forever.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.14  Sparty On  replied to  zuksam @1.2.13    4 years ago

Because it’s Hollyweird .... jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2  1stwarrior    4 years ago

This revelation, in and of itself, will put many pet owners in a heightened state of concern.  The question now is, how was it transmitted from the host to the pet?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  1stwarrior @2    4 years ago
how was it transmitted from the host to the pet?

Via coughing or sneezing, most likely.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1    4 years ago
Via coughing or sneezing, most likely.

Right now the CDC says that isn't how it's passed... but who knows?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.1    4 years ago

Who doesn't rub noses with their dogs and cats?

zuksam
Junior Silent
2.2  zuksam  replied to  1stwarrior @2    4 years ago
how was it transmitted from the host to the pet?

Maybe it was pet to pet then from the pet to the owner. Time to close down all the Dog Parks. This is the type of thing I was concerned about with Ebola. I wasn't that worried about a person to person epidemic I was worried it would infect our wildlife and become a constant. Your dog or cat finds a dead animal in the woods and brings Ebola home and licks everyone's face and now the whole family has it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  zuksam @2.2    4 years ago
Your dog or cat finds a dead animal in the woods and brings Ebola home and licks everyone's face and now the whole family has it.

Exactly. 

I actually lost one of my kitties to the mutated version of the coronavirus, FIP. I'm actually more concerned about that. You get the virus and you think your OK, but it's hiding in your system and mutates. Many years later (like chickenpox, becoming shingles), this FIP comes out, and it's always fatal. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

Don't forget to get your dog a Hazmat suit. 

zuksam
Junior Silent
3.1  zuksam  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3    4 years ago

Would anyone really be surprised to see this dog being walked down a street in China ?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3.1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  zuksam @3.1    4 years ago

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  1stwarrior @3.1.1    4 years ago

Good point 1st!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3    4 years ago

Good one Dean!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I thought that the original theory was that it started by being passed from animal to human, so I would not be surprised if it could pass both ways.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    4 years ago

The previous coronavirus passed from bats to cats then humans.

This one is believed to have passed from bats to that scaled anteater pangolins which are raised as a delicacy in China I believe.

No secret Chinese Army laboratory, just more chaos of evolution and unintended consequences.