╌>

Mysterious booms in Kansas City could be 'frost quakes'

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  19 comments

We've heard of snowpocalypse but this is a new one to us: ' Frost quake .'

Those sounds have reportedly been going on for the last few months.

"To me it sounded like it was a fairly substantial Class B firework. Which is a lot bigger than what you sell at a fireworks stand."

Local station KSHB has been digging into the source of the booms -- even checking to see if a local air force base was running test operations -- all to no avail. A popular theory now? 'Frost quakes.'

Also known as a 'cryoseism,' Accuweather describes them as "a natural phenomenon caused from a sudden deep freezing of the ground," which then causes the ground to crack, creating the noise.

Milwaukee's WISN demonstrated the process using a glass bottle full of water: "We're going to wait for it to freeze, and when it does this bottle will crack. And that's exactly what goes on below ground during a frost quake."

For the record, frost quakes are not like the earthquakes you're more familiar with, so don't expect any dangerous seismic activity. They're reportedly most common in the coldest part of the night, between midnight and dawn.

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/02/04/mysterious-booms-in-kansas-city-could-be-frost-quakes/21139058/?cps=gravity_1967_6640855160528571168?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058&amp ;

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

Milwaukee's WISN demonstrated the process using a glass bottle full of water: "We're going to wait for it to freeze, and when it does this bottle will crack. And that's exactly what goes on below ground during a frost quake."

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

Interesting! I wonder if Mrs. D has heard them!

Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

That must have been kind of scary at first. I didn't know that Mrs. D. lived there..now I'm wondering if she heard them also...

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    9 years ago

We heard a few of those last year during the polar vortex and they were quite common in western Missouri where our oldest son lives

Underground water freezing

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent
link   LoneRanger01    9 years ago

not to make light of things,... but after glancing over the titles on the front page I had to wonder why anyone would post an article about frosted cake exploding,...then I see its my bad when I put my glasses on , frosted quakes go boom....sorry

Nona62
Professor Silent

Was it real loud??

Nona62
Professor Silent

At least theyweren't Frosted Flakes.... (bad joke ...sorry)

retired military ex Republican
Freshman Silent
link   retired military ex Republican    9 years ago

Lived in the North most of my life never heard of such a thing.

Nona62
Professor Silent

retired military ex Republican....I have lived in the North all of my life, and never hearof them either.

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol RW.... When I first read your reply, I misread fracking ,and cracked up!!

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    9 years ago

I spent my first 36 years in Ohio and never heard of this. We had plenty of winters with single digit days and no booms or quakes.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I thought you'd get a kick out of it!!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

I live in Missouri, SW Missouri in the Ozarks. We've had those booms for years, no big deal.

It's just the moonshiners stills blowing up. Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

Pat...I haven't either...(I'min Illinois)

Nona62
Professor Silent

It's just the moonshiners stills blowing up 24.gif 24.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif