╌>

Coronavirus tweets from Las Vegas School Board Candidate Go Viral

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  30 comments

Coronavirus tweets from Las Vegas School Board Candidate Go Viral
“Because this is America. And I’ll do what I want.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

“I just went to a crowded Red Robin and I’m 30.”

Williams continued, “It was delicious, and I took my sweet time eating my meal.”

And Williams concluded: “Because this is America. And I’ll do what I want.”

A former Ms. Nevada winner earned a new title Saturday.

On Saturday, Katie Williams, a Clark County School District Board of Trustees candidate and a former Ms. Nevada winner who was stripped of her title, became known as the Twitter hashtag #CoronaKatie after she detracted from a federal congresswoman’s tweet urging people to stay away from crowded areas amid the spread of the coronavirus.

In her tweet, U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez offered her followers a reminder of what public health officials have advised as government officials try to slow the spread of the virus.

“PLEASE stop crowding bars, restaurants, and public spaces right now. Eat your meals at home.”

Hours later, Williams’ account, @realkatiejow, replied: “I just went to a crowded Red Robin and I’m 30.”

Williams continued, “It was delicious, and I took my sweet time eating my meal.”

And Williams concluded: “Because this is America. And I’ll do what I want.”

The reply took off on Twitter, and thousands of tweets led #CoronaKatie to trend on the social networking website.

Even Red Robin, the national hamburger chain, earned some attention from Williams’ tweet at a time of uncertainty for businesses. In a later tweet, Williams noted her original tweet had an effect: “When you can get @redrobinburgers trending! I want my royalties now.”

Hundreds of accounts mocked the tweet, piling on criticism with GIF-laden quips.

“Red Robin: Burgers Worth Killing Grandma For,” one user tweeted.

Red Robin tweet

Williams did not return a phone call Saturday night seeking comment about the tweets.

She is currently running as a candidate for CCSD Board of Trustees District B.

All this happened the same day the school district itself reminded parents school would continue on a normal schedule Monday morning. Two education unions have called for the CCSD to cancel classes, citing Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations that people limit their interactions with each other as the virus spreads.

Public health officials in Nevada and across the globe have recommended people avoid large crowds and limit their personal contacts, in an effort called “social distancing.”

Williams’ social media presence appears to have lost her the Ms. Nevada 2019 title after the Ms. America Pageant said Williams’ messaging online was too political and in violation of its policy. After Williams accused the organization of having a political bias against her — she supports President Trump on her accounts — the organization accused her of “distorting the facts.”

“All the pageant asked of Ms. Williams, in writing, is to keep separate social media accounts,” a statement from organization at the time read. “One is for politics where she can voice her own opinion as Katie Williams and the other is a new Facebook page for the pageant representing Ms. Nevada State 2019.”

Ms. America ultimately took away her title, saying Williams did not ultimately comply with the organization’s “no-politics” policy.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

It would look better for her if she didnt associate her actions with her support for Trump. 

A lot of people are ignoring the advice by the virus experts to stay home. 

merlin_90525983.7.jpg

Chicago’s annual river-dyeing and St. Patrick’s Day parades were canceled, but green beer and Irish whiskey still flowed Saturday in River North, where hundreds flocked to celebrate despite officials’ pleas for “social distancing” amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

People dressed in festive shades of green, leprechaun top hats and shamrock headbands lined the bars and clubs scattered throughout the Near North Side neighborhood. Inside, businesses were full — but not too crowded.

“With the virus going around, we’re taking care to make sure we don’t have too big of crowds in here today,” said a bouncer outside Celeste, a nightclub at 111 W. Hubbard St.

The bouncer, who declined to share his name, said Celeste also stocked up on hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes, which were placed throughout the nightclub for everyone to use.
CV_BARS_031520_8.jpg
People celebrate St. Patrick’s Day outside O’Callaghan’s in River North on Saturday, even though the annual St. Patrick’s Day parades were canceled.
  Tyler LaRiviere/Sun-Times

Down the street, a group of friends waiting to get into The Boss Bar passed around a flask of whiskey and a bottle of hand sanitizer. They chased each shot with a pump of sanitizer to disinfect their hands.

“I’m not about to put my life on hold because this is going around,” said Kyle Thomas, who said he was a nurse from Colorado who flew in to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with his Chicago friends.

Thomas said he had planned the trip to Chicago months ago, and although he was “taking the coronavirus seriously,” he wasn’t about to cancel plans.

“I’m being careful, I’ve got my hand sanitizer, and I’m washing my hands,” Thomas said. “So much has already been canceled and we might be overreacting.”

Meanwhile, at a Saturday news conference announcing 18 new cases of coronavirus that brought Illinois’ total to 64, Gov. J.B. Pritzker scolded the throngs of young people who ventured out to party.

“We need you to follow social distancing guidelines too,” Pritzker said. “You can have the unintended tragic effect of spreading COVID-19 to others who are more vulnerable.”

A River North bartender who asked not to be identified said she had mixed feelings about the festivities.

“St. Patrick’s Day is our busiest day of the year, so all the servers here have been worried about this virus affecting our tip money,” she said. “But on the other hand, I don’t want to get sick or have an outbreak in our restaurant because of days like this.”

She said her managers were on the fence about whether they should cancel their St. Patrick’s Day events, but ultimately decided not to because “we need the money.”

“I’m trying not to think about the virus, but I am scared,” she said. “I don’t get health insurance through my job because I don’t work enough hours, so I better not get sick here.”
merlin_90525981.jpg
Despite the cancellation of St. Patrick’s Day celebrations Saturday amid concerns about the spread of coronavirus, people line up outside bars in River North to celebrate.
  Tyler LaRiviere/Sun-Times

Caroline Lake was also concerned. She had paid $39 in advance for a River North pub crawl, but reached out to its organizers late Friday to ask for a refund.

Lake said she was being a “smart citizen” by heeding the advice of the governor and public health officials to stay away from large public gatherings. But as of mid-day Saturday the pub crawl was in full swing and she had not heard back from the organizer, a company called Promo Se7en.

“They should be thinking about the greater issues here,” Lake said. “They’re adding to the problem.”

Representatives for Promo Se7en did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but the company posted that the event would happen as planned with no refunds for ticket-holders who change their mind.

“Although, the City of Chicago has canceled the dyeing of the river and the St. Patrick’s Day parade, our event will continue as planned,” Promo Se7en stated. “As stated in our event details below, the event ticket is not connected with any city events. Our event will go on regardless if any city event is canceled, rescheduled or postponed.”

“All venues will be taking extra precautions for public safety. Please remember to wash your hands, cover your mouth and nose when needed and please do not attend if you’re sick. We encourage everyone to have fun, be safe and look out for each other.”

Before noon a few miles north in Wrigleyville, both sidewalks outside bars along Clark Street between Roscoe and Addison were packed with revelers, many of them wearing the green T-shirts of another pub crawl.

A hand sanitizer station was set up on the sidewalk, but hardly anyone was using it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

I read a news story that St Patricks Day "celebrations" , aka drinking a lot of alcohol,  had also taken place in New Orleans, NYC, Washington DC, and other big cities. 

Today was supposed to be the day of the South Side Irish parade here in Chicago. It normally attracts thousands of people to area bars and hundreds of thousands to the parade route itself. Without a parade the number will be greatly diminished, but there will still be a lot of people in the bars. And on St Pats day, Tuesday, itself of course. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    4 years ago

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

I wonder how many of the same people that are opposed to eating at Red Robin support going to eat in China towns. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    4 years ago

This young woman's tweeting was clearly intended to promote the idea of people going out eating and drinking and whatever.  She could have gone to Red Robin without telling anyone, but she wants to support Trump's idea that this whole thing is a hoax. 

squiggy
Junior Silent
2.1.1  squiggy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    4 years ago
was clearly intended to

I'll put my airhead on the altar, but you have to bring in your busload too.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    4 years ago

Well, see, a lot of those people were "woke" that supported going to Chinatowns to eat.

This is a conservative Trump supporter doing virtually the same thing, so of course it is totally different.

How dare you forget the double standard??

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    4 years ago

With all the talk some people have (I have heard from some conservatives) about spoiled, entitled millennials, I bet just because she is a donald supporter, she gets a pass.

When she is the epitome of entitled.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4  FLYNAVY1    4 years ago

The "Give-a-Shit", "Me First" attitude.  I will never understand it.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4    4 years ago

Someone has to go first and lead the troops. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
6  lady in black    4 years ago

This woman is an idiot if she thinks she can't get the virus:

3 confirmed cases here in Western New York:

The three people in Erie County who have tested positive for COVID-19 are a man and a woman, both 35, and a 20-year-old woman, a source with knowledge of the situation told The Buffalo News on Sunday.

Here are the places associated with the county's first three cases, according to county officials:

• A woman in her 30s who recently traveled out of state.
  • A man in his 30s who recently traveled to Westchester County.
  • A woman in her 20s who recently traveled to Italy.

The three people are from Buffalo, Grand Island and Clarence.

The three persons infected do not have a relationship with each other, Erie County Executive Mark C. Poloncarz said.

Authorities believe the individuals acquired the infection outside of Erie County, Poloncarz said.

They are quarantined at their private residences.

And now this:

Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz declared a state of emergency Sunday as three county residents tested positive for COVID-19.

He also warned bars to keep their establishments at half capacity, asked people to stop panic buying and announced that all schools are to be closed to students on Monday as districts make preparations for long term, distance learning.

"We are all in this together," Poloncarz said.

Authorities aren't putting the county on lockdown, he said, but he needed everyone to do what they to reduce contact with others and help stop the spread of the disease.

"We don't want to become like Italy," Poloncarz said. "We don't want to have to shut down the community.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  lady in black @6    4 years ago

No place in the seeded article does it say that the woman doesn't think she can get the virus.

The statement is ludicrous as me telling you that you think you can get the virus from looking at someone who is infected.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  lady in black  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1    4 years ago

She's an idiot. Full stop.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  lady in black @6.1.1    4 years ago

But you attribute something to her she clearly did not say.

That doesn't seem smart or honest.

Do you support those folks going to Chinatowns to eat?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
6.1.3  lady in black  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.2    4 years ago

Never said I did, now did I.

This moron is just looking for attention...Look at me, look at me...

Just because she's a trump supporter you agree with her...but if it had been a democrat you'd be singing a different tune

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  lady in black @6.1.3    4 years ago
Never said I did, now did I

No, you didn't.

Which is why I asked the question of you--not attribute shit you didn't state to you.

Just because she's a trump supporter you agree with her...but if it had been a democrat you'd be singing a different tune

Never said I did, now did I?

See, you attribute stuff I did NOT say to me, then get mad when I ask you a simple question.

We're done here.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2  Krishna  replied to  lady in black @6    4 years ago

But no more of an idiot than Mike Pence...and Donald Trump:

Mike Pence said he and Trump still shake hands

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Maybe it is time for cities to start writing citations to large groups of people who refuse to disperse.  Before anyone jumps down my throat about this, every dollar of the fines would go in someway to help with the fight.  As far as little Miss "I'll do what I want", she is a Trump supporter so her actions and attitude does not surprise me at all.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
7.1  lady in black  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7    4 years ago

Here is what one local caterer is doing to try to recoup his costs for St. Patrick's day festivities that were cancelled

Kenmore caterer left with hundreds of corned beef dinners gets creative

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  lady in black @7.1    4 years ago

I read that the food that was for a cancelled bat mitzva was donated to people on home quarantine.  Although the caterer is charging for his to be delivered, I still think he came up with a great idea.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7    4 years ago

L.A. is now considering fines for those who refuse to stop gathering in large groups.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.2    4 years ago

A surfer decided to hit the waves although the beach was closed.  He received a nice little $1,000 fine.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    4 years ago

It's one thing to go out to eat. We can reasonably debate the wisdom of that. But to then bring the attitude of "I'll do what I want," is not going to win you any friends in the current crisis.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.1  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @8    4 years ago

We went to a restruant last night for the early bird specials and they only sat people in every other booth or table.

Also the tables were bare of napkins, ketchup, S&P, sugar, etc.,

and they cleaned them with sanitizer before and after every table left.

Seemed reasonable.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Split Personality @8.1    4 years ago

I have a drawer with collected ketchup packets. If and when I do go out for dinner, I will use them.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.2  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @8    4 years ago
But to then bring the attitude of "I'll do what I want," is not going to win you any friends in the current crisis.

Apparently Mike Pence..and Donald Trump..would disagree (see comment # 6. 2, above)

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Celeste also stocked up on hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes, which were placed throughout the nightclub for everyone to use.

Good idea, but I wonder how many will end up taking them and selling them at inflated prices on EBAY?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

“I’m not about to put my life on hold because this is going around,” said Kyle Thomas, who said he was a nurse from Colorado who flew in to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with his Chicago friends.

The only thing this guy is capable of nursing is a hangover.  For a health care profession to exhibit this kind of reckless behavior just to party is repugnant.