╌>

Inside hard-hit Italian hospital as coronavirus death toll surges

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  22 comments

Inside hard-hit Italian hospital as coronavirus death toll surges
This was the deadliest day so far in Italy, with 793 fatalities. Our partners at Sky News visited a hospital in Cremona, one of Italy’s hardest-hit cities. Doctors there work 12 hour shifts and say increasingly younger patients are being admitted to their ICUs.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

For my family, the crisis in Italy is not an abstract thing. My daughter's boyfriend is Italian and from the north, which is hard hit. He is worried about his 91 year old grandmother and his parents are our age. They try to remain as inside as possible, but Italian kitchens are small and so are their refrigerators, like most of Europe, so someone must go out to get supplies as safely as possible. 

We all hope that here, this is not the shape of things to come. 

#flattenthecurve

Freewill
Junior Quiet
1.1  Freewill  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    4 years ago

Terrible news from Italy for sure Perrie.  I truly hope they are able to get that under control soon.

Your observation about Italian kitchens and refrigerators is interesting.  Perhaps the need to run out more often for supplies is creating a faster spread of the virus than might otherwise be the case.  Here in the US there is certainly a fine line between stocking up and hoarding, but maybe that might turn out to help us in the long run.

Stay safe and healthy my friend.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Freewill @1.1    4 years ago
Stay safe and healthy my friend.

Same to you Freewill! 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    4 years ago

Why is it so much worse there than everywhere else?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
2.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Tacos! @2    4 years ago

good question...

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Tacos! @2    4 years ago

Pure speculation on my part....

Italy has a lot of garment/fashion design industry.  Many of the workers that fabricate and sew in that design industry are Chinese.  I'm guessing a good number of them went to China for their New Years, and brought the bug back with them. Italy didn't screen upon their return. 

Also like many countries in Europe, what you cook for the day's meals are bought at the stores on a daily basis.  This means a greater daily exposure rate in markets.  The typical European freezer and refrigerator is much smaller than what we have here in the US.

Just some guesses after having lived there.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.3  1stwarrior  replied to  Tacos! @2    4 years ago

Read "somewhere" that there were 'bout 3,000 immigrant employees from Wujan working in plants in Northern Italy, where the virus started in Italy.

I'll search for the read.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.4  Tacos!  replied to  Tacos! @2    4 years ago

I read an article this morning that says there is a strong anti-vax movement in Italy. This doesn't directly promote coronavirus, but lack of immunizations for the flu means hospitals are overwhelmed with both coronavirus patients and flu patients.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.4.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Tacos! @2.4    4 years ago

There are so many facets to what is going on in Italy that it's going to take time to dissect what went wrong from what they did right.  It's not going to be just one thing.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.4.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.4.1    4 years ago
It's not going to be just one thing.

For sure. 

bccrane
Freshman Silent
2.4.3  bccrane  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.4.1    4 years ago

The one man in Italy that needs to answer questions would be the president of Italy, oh what's his name, has anyone even seen him lately?  Shouldn't he be in front of this giving speeches and keeping the people of Italy informed, also taking questions from the media no matter how what he says can get twisted around, it seems a real leader would be able to handle this.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.4.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  bccrane @2.4.3    4 years ago

On Saturday night, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced another drastic step in response to what he called the country’s most difficult crisis since the Second World War: Italy will close its factories and all production that is not absolutely essential, an enormous economic sacrifice intended to contain the virus and protect lives.

“The state is here,” he said in an effort to reassure the public.

So that's not it. 

It's good to know that we are examining what Italy did wrong so that we don't repeat the same mistakes. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.5.1  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @2.5    4 years ago

Good link!

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     4 years ago

In an interview last night from Italy there were many Italians that said there are still many people that are not adhering to the rules and going about their daily business without regard for the consequences. 

19 doctors have died from the virus and 5,000 health workers are infected. If that doesn't get the attention of the noncompliers nothing will. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @3    4 years ago

We have noncompliers here, too, like that idiot kid on the beach. Of course, almost every business says now that his name is known, he will never get a job anywhere, LOL. 

Young people tend to think they are invincible and that is the problem. My daughters are different since they work in healthcare and truly understand how disease spreads. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    4 years ago

My mom's church in WV is still having 3 services a week.  Never mind that almost all of their congregation is elderly, and everyone expects a hug.

Mom refuses to go.  So does her cousin, who's had a liver transplant and is on immunosuppressants.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3.1.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    4 years ago

Perrie - what kid?  Like to see that story.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  1stwarrior @3.1.2    4 years ago

Google Brady Sluder from Ohio. You'll find a lot of stuff there.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     4 years ago

Remember the photos of the ''Spring Breakers'' partying on the beach in FL?

Yesterday 5 of them tested positive for the coronavirus. 

You can imagine there will be a whole lot more testing positive in the near future. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @4    4 years ago

Couldn't happen to a worse bunch of Aholes