3.3 Million File For Unemployment Claims, Shattering Records

Via:  larry-hampton  •  3 days ago  •  36 comments

3.3 Million File For Unemployment Claims, Shattering Records
Claims for unemployment benefits are spiking across the country as businesses shut down to stem the spread of the coronavirus.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A record 3.28 million Americans filed for unemployment benefits last week as the coronavirus pandemic shut down much of the country. The   Labor Department's report   Thursday was one of the first official indicators of how many people have suddenly been forced out of work nationally.

"This marks the highest level of seasonally adjusted initial claims in the history of the seasonally adjusted series," the department said. "The previous high was 695,000 in October of 1982." The Labor Department's records go back to 1967.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

Larry Hampton
1  seeder  Larry Hampton    3 days ago

Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell, appearing on  NBC's Today Show , said what businesses and analysts already know: "We may well be in a recession."

"This is a unique situation," Powell added. "People are being asked to close their business, to stay home from work, and to not engage in certain economic activity, and so they are pulling back. At a certain point, we will get the virus under control and confidence will return."

The staggering jobless claims figure was well above the levels seen during the darkest days of the Great Recession, and the worst isn't over yet, economic forecasters say.

WallyW
1.1  WallyW  replied to  Larry Hampton @1    3 days ago

Looks like the markets were expecting it, and are still heading up

lady in black
2  lady in black    3 days ago

Crooked donnie's head must be exploding

WallyW
2.1  WallyW  replied to  lady in black @2    3 days ago

Why?

bugsy
2.1.1  bugsy  replied to  WallyW @2.1    3 days ago
Why?

They have no idea. Some spend their day looking for a way to demean Trump or blame him for something.....anything.

Ozzwald
2.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  bugsy @2.1.1    3 days ago
They have no idea.

Trump's entire reelection campaign, (other than name calling) consists entirely of "look at the economy", "look at unemployment".  What is he going to campaign on now?  Childish name calling only goes so far.

XDm9mm
2.1.3  XDm9mm  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    3 days ago
Trump's entire reelection campaign, (other than name calling) consists entirely of "look at the economy", "look at unemployment".  What is he going to campaign on now?

The economy and jobs once this current situation is over with.  And he'll likely throw in the (likely to be) successful fight against COVID19.

Ozzwald
2.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.3    2 days ago
The economy and jobs once this current situation is over with.

Do you actually think they will rebound before the election?

And he'll likely throw in the (likely to be) successful fight against COVID19.

In your mind, how many deaths can the US have, where Trump can still claim "success" against COVID-19?

1000?  10,000?  100,000?  1,000,000?  More?

bugsy
2.1.5  bugsy  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.4    2 days ago

Are you hoping it doesn't? Sounds like it.

Ozzwald
2.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to  bugsy @2.1.5    2 days ago

Are you hoping it doesn't? Sounds like it.

Are you willing to sacrifice thousands of more lives to try and make Trump look more competent?  Sure sounds like it.

Texan1211
2.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.6    2 days ago
Are you willing to sacrifice thousands of more lives to try and make Trump look more competent? Sure sounds like it.

What on earth led you to ask such an inane question? He has stated absolutely NOTHING even close to suggesting such a thing. What part "sounded like it"???????????????????

Ronin2
2.1.8  Ronin2  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.4    2 days ago

Cheering on the virus? What a guy! Ramp up that fear! Crank up that desperation!  Watch that death total climb! The grim reaper would be proud!

Considering the US learned jack shit of nothing from handling H1N1- you know that little Swine Flu that Obama completely ignored. I would say however many deaths it is we will have gotten off damn easy. Oh and for the record it was over 12,000 deaths- and up to as many as 18,000 deaths from the Swine Flu in the US. Seems they weren't keeping very accurate track- and the CDC throws their guess somewhere in the middle. As many as 61,000 million Americans are known to have contracted the Swine Flu- which means that number is actually more. 

Coronavirus is much worse than H1N1; and has a far higher mortality rate. If the US has around the same amount of deaths from it as we did from H1N1; do you and the rest of the left promise to STFU and give Trump credit? Or will you continue to go full hypocrite and blast him for doing far more than Obama ever did?

Don't worry, they won't do jack shit to combat the next pandemic to come out of China no matter who is elected. Outside of political talking points the Democrats have 0 ideas. The Republicans will point that out repeatedly if they lose the White House. Of course they don't have any ideas either. Forcing key medical device and drug manufacturing back into the US will not be corporate friendly; and will enrage the countries we take them from.  Not a good way to get campaign contributions for either side.

bugsy
2.1.9  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.7    2 days ago

They like to state something you did not say then try and argue against it like you actually said it.

I've seen it many times on here.

Ozzwald
2.1.10  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.7    2 days ago
What on earth led you to ask such an inane question?

Bugsy, pay attention if you are going to butt into other people's conversations.

Just Jim NC TttH
2.1.11  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.10    2 days ago

Always have to be reminded of the death numbers in the tens of thousands that die every year in the United States don’t you. Rhetorical 

loki12
2.1.12  loki12  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.11    2 days ago

This is not taunting!!!!!  We can trust the media put the death count up for a republican president but never a democrat.  Fucking propagandists.

XDm9mm
2.1.13  XDm9mm  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.4    2 days ago
The economy and jobs once this current situation is over with.

I do.  And why would it not, unless of course everyone is still being forced to remain at home.

And he'll likely throw in the (likely to be) successful fight against COVID19.

In your mind, how many deaths can the US have, where Trump can still claim "success" against COVID-19?

1000?  10,000?  100,000?  1,000,000?  More?

Why do you equate success fighting the virus with death?   That's rather morbid.  How about we find a way to kill the fucking bug instead.

Texan1211
2.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.10    2 days ago
Bugsy, pay attention if you are going to butt into other people's conversations.

Okay, first, I am not Bugsy.

Second, if you post such idiocy, don't be surprised when people note it.

Thirdly, way to deflect from your very own inane question!

Ozzwald
2.1.15  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.14    yesterday
Okay, first, I am not Bugsy.

No duh!  You asked why I asked the question, I answered "Bugsy".

Second, if you post such idiocy, don't be surprised when people note it.

The only idiocy I see is the spin some people are trying to put on Trump's actions.

Thirdly, way to deflect from your very own inane question!

deleted

Ozzy chill please.  You meant to answer Bugsy but responded to Texan.

Probably has something to with the generic avatars. SP

Jeremy Retired in NC
2.1.16  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    yesterday
What is he going to campaign on now?

Are you actually blaming this on Trump?  

Ozzwald
2.1.17  Ozzwald  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.15    yesterday
Ozzy chill please.  You meant to answer Bugsy but responded to Texan. Probably has something to with the generic avatars. SP

I responded to Texan because he was the one to ask.  I was not trying to respond to Bugsy, because Bugsy never responded to my question, Texan jumped in and did. 

Maybe after answering his question with "Bugsy", I should have put a period instead of a comma, but "Bugsy" was the answer to Texan's question.

Ozzwald
2.1.18  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.16    yesterday
Are you actually blaming this on Trump? 

You need to be more specific.  What, exactly, do you think I am blaming on Trump?

CometRider
2.1.19  CometRider  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    yesterday
Trump's entire reelection campaign, (other than name calling) consists entirely of "look at the economy", "look at unemployment".  What is he going to campaign on now? 

[Deleted]

Larry Hampton
2.1.20  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  loki12 @2.1.12    yesterday

Gotta link to prove that ridiculous claim?

CometRider
2.1.21  CometRider  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    yesterday

[Deleted]

Larry Hampton
2.1.22  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  CometRider @2.1.21    yesterday

Where in the world do you come up with that weird comment? I can’t think of anything further from the truth. We all may not agree, but we are all Americans and love our country. Just because someone disagrees with trump does not mean they hate this country. 

JBB
2.1.23  JBB  replied to  CometRider @2.1.21    yesterday

More to it, what we are actually seeing is that some here are only worried about how America's suffering effects Trump's lousy reelection chances...

CometRider
2.1.24  CometRider  replied to  Larry Hampton @2.1.22    yesterday
Just because someone disagrees with trump does not mean they hate this country. 

Didn't say they hate this country, their insane hate for Trump makes them OK with millions losing their jobs if it prevents Trump from getting reelected.

Larry Hampton
2.1.26  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  CometRider @2.1.24    yesterday

Again, just because someone disagrees with trump does not mean they are insane, hate him, or want to see folks suffer for any reason. 

MUVA
2.1.27  MUVA  replied to  JBB @2.1.23    yesterday

I think his chances are quite good not lousy mostly because of the bat shit crazy democrat politicians and their cronies in the left wing news media. 

CometRider
2.1.28  CometRider  replied to  Larry Hampton @2.1.26    yesterday
just because someone disagrees with trump does not mean they are insane, hate him, or want to see folks suffer for any reason. 

Reading two of the comments I disagree with you, your bias prevents you from seeing it or your own disdain for Trump does.

Texan1211
2.1.29  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.15    yesterday
No duh!  You asked why I asked the question, I answered "Bugsy".

Nice to see the answer is as inane as your question was.

The only idiocy I see is the spin some people are trying to put on Trump's actions.

Then you should open your eyes.

Can you seriously not see how inadequate your response to THESE questions are?

What on earth led you to ask such an inane question? He has stated absolutely NOTHING even close to suggesting such a thing. What part "sounded like it"???????????????????

"Bugsy" still seem like a good answer to you?

SMMFH

FLYNAVY1
3  FLYNAVY1    3 days ago

I can hardly wait to see how Fox and Breitbart spin this.

bugsy
3.1  bugsy  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3    3 days ago

Spin what? This has been expected for some time now, and guess what? It has been reported as such on "gasp" Fox and Breitbart.

The real question is how most of the rest of lib outlets will blame this on Trump?

Your question is a maybe.

My question is a certainty.

WallyW
4  WallyW    3 days ago

[deleted]

XDm9mm
5  XDm9mm    3 days ago

Personally, I'm surprised it was that low.

Hell, between "social distancing" and multiple Mayors and Governors essentially closing down entire cities and states, I expected to see numbers in the 10's of millions.

Or is it that there are just so many "public servants" on the payrolls that the numbers are being kept that low?