Man shot dead for flouting coronavirus rules

Category:  World News

Via:  john-russell  •  7 months ago  •  24 comments

Man shot dead for flouting coronavirus rules
President Duterte has ordered police and military to kill anyone violating quarantine or causing trouble during the pandemic.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A 63-year-old man has been shot dead by police in the Philippines after he became enraged for being told to wear a facemask, marking the first reported case of authorities shooting a civilian for breaching coronavirus restrictions.

The man was believed to have been drunk when he threatened village authorities with a scythe – a sharp blade – in the southern town of Nasipit in Agusan del Norte province, police said on Saturday.

"The suspect was cautioned by a village health worker ... for not wearing a face mask," the police report said. "But the suspect got angry, uttering provoking words and eventually attacked the personnel using a scythe."

The government ordered on Thursday all people across the archipelago nation's main islands to wear face masks when going outside during its month-long lockdown.

"Let me repeat - if you need to go out of your house, you need to wear a mask," government official Karlo Nograles said, according to the German Press Agency. Nograles added it doesn't have to be a medical mask, but any improvised covering which covers the mouth and nose.

The Philippines has over 3,000 confirmed positive cases of the coronavirus and 144 people have died so far. 

'I will bury you'

President Rodrigo Duterte said on Wednesday he would order police and military to shoot dead lockdown violators. The strongman, who spearheaded the Philippines war on drugs and is famous for his openly vocal support for the extrajudicial killing of criminals and drug users, warned:

"My orders to the police and military ... if there is trouble and there's an occasion that they fight back and your lives are in danger, shoot them dead …  Instead of causing trouble, I will bury you."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

JohnRussell
1  seeder  JohnRussell    7 months ago

Wear your mask at all times. 

Nerm_L
1.2  Nerm_L  replied to  JohnRussell @1    7 months ago
Wear your mask at all times. 

And don't attack people with sharp, pointy objects.

Freedom Warrior
2  Freedom Warrior    7 months ago

Coming soon to a neighborhood near you.

XDm9mm
2.1  XDm9mm  replied to  Freedom Warrior @2    7 months ago

It could be sooner than we think.  Wasn't it Gov. Cuomo that wants the NY Army National Guard to go around and seize 'excess' ventilators from hospitals and such?  What will their response be if the attached patient decides to fight back?  /s/

Freedom Warrior
2.1.1  Freedom Warrior  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1    7 months ago

Most of us recall what happened during the Vietnam War era at Kent State.  Not the same mind you, but can things get out crazy out of hand in times like these.  I'd bet it's possble.

Ozzwald
2.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1    7 months ago
Wasn't it Gov. Cuomo that wants the NY Army National Guard to go around and seize 'excess' ventilators from hospitals and such?  What will their response be if the attached patient decides to fight back?

"Excess ventilators" would not be "used ventilators" by the very definition.  Or was the sarcasm tag inclusive to the entire comment?

XDm9mm
2.1.3  XDm9mm  replied to  Freedom Warrior @2.1.1    7 months ago
Most of us recall what happened during the Vietnam War era at Kent State.  Not the same mind you, but can things get out crazy out of hand in times like these.  I'd bet it's possble.

I'll submit more than possible.  Protesting as in Kent State is one point, but when people and their health/lives are threatened, especially by something they can't see nor actually understand, and the possibilities are exponentially increased.

XDm9mm
2.1.4  XDm9mm  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    7 months ago
"Excess ventilators" would not be "used ventilators" by the very definition. 

Excess could very well be determined by the person on scene.

Further, who gives the governor authority to seize private property which while not in immediate use, might not be needed in the next hour?

Cuomo is only trying to gather up things for what he calls "the apex".   It's a cover his ass move for not replenishing the NY stockpiles in the past.

Jasper2529
2.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Freedom Warrior @2    7 months ago

Sooner than we think. A man who was alone in Malibu, CA was arrested for paddle boarding after Newsom issued his "stay home" directive.

What I find odd is that the Malibu guy gets arrested while Fresno, CA still has its parks, tennis courts, and basketball courts open and allows people to cycle and walk around as long as they practice social distancing. 

Freedom Warrior
2.2.1  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2    7 months ago

We have miles of open space nearby.  We are not allowed to use it now but instead you see people walking around on public sidewalks, many with young families attempting to quell the not so quiet riot at home.  Doesn't make sense.  However, one local city allows use of the beach during the week.  At least they gave it more thought.

Jasper2529
2.2.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Freedom Warrior @2.2.1    7 months ago

One of my children lives near San Diego. Some beaches and parks are still open, but it's not clear how long things will stay that way.

Freedom Warrior
2.2.3  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.2    7 months ago

That would be Coronado beaches that are open during the weekdays.  That may not last now that the word is out.  

I went to a remote entrance to Sycamore Canyon / Goodan Ranch this week out of frustration and the Park Ranger did not say anything to me as I was exiting the area.  Interestingly people were parked there and there was no sign posted at the trail entrance although there was one at another trailhead 10 yards away and people were heading up the hill nevertheless.

We  do have one spot that is simply non park land that the county has not imposed restrictions on yet.

Release The Kraken
3  Release The Kraken    7 months ago

This is why one always needs more firepower than the local leo.

XDm9mm
4  XDm9mm    7 months ago
threatened village authorities with a scythe

Dumb shit learned that you don't bring a knife to a gun fight the hard way.

Tacos!
5  Tacos!    7 months ago

Now is not the time to go around demanding your rights to go where you will, or not wear a mask. Especially when they can shoot you just for “askin’ fer it.”