╌>

Boys let black widow bite them in hopes of turning into Spider-Man

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  1stwarrior  •  4 years ago  •  31 comments

Boys let black widow bite them in hopes of turning into Spider-Man

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Three young Bolivian brothers were hospitalized after getting a black widow spider to bite them — thinking it would turn them into Spider-Man, according to officials.

The Marvel-loving siblings — aged 12, 10 and 8 — found the spider while herding goats in Chayanta, a Ministry of Health official revealed at coronavirus briefing Saturday,   according to Telemundo .

Thinking it would give them superhero powers, they prodded it with a stick until it bit each of them in turn, the official, Virgilio Pietro, said.

Finding them crying, their mom rushed them to a nearby health center, which transferred them to a nearby hospital, Telemundo said.

The would-be Peter Parkers were transferred a third time, taken to the Children’s Hospital in La Paz the next day with fevers, tremors and muscle pains, according to the report.

There, they were successfully treated and discharged last Wednesday, almost a week after they were bitten, the report says.

Pietro shared the drama as a warning to parents, saying that   “for children everything is real, movies are real” — even though they are in fact an “illusion,” according to Telemundo.

With venom 15 times stronger than a rattlesnake’s, black widows are one of the most feared spiders in the world, and the most venomous in north America,   National Geographic says .

While their bites are not usually fatal, children are among those most at risk, along with the elderly and infirm, the site says.

They are not aggressive and bite only in self-defense, National Geographic says — including, it seems, when prodded by young superhero fans.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1  seeder  1stwarrior    4 years ago

So, where was Mary Jane??

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  1stwarrior @1    4 years ago

smokin

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2  Ronin2    4 years ago

I can see the lawsuit against Disney and Marvel forming now.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Here, black widows have been cross breeding with brown recluses.  That makes the black recluse or brown widow even more of a threat.  I was bitten by a brown recluse when I was in college and it almost cost me my life.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4  Freefaller    4 years ago

So did it work?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I wonder how many kids put on a Superman costume and jumped off a roof. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    4 years ago

It does happen now and then.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    4 years ago

Young or old, people don't think stuff through.

shona1
PhD Quiet
7  shona1    4 years ago

A/noon..Glad it was over there..If they had of done that here with our Red Back Spider the mother would have been going to 3 funerals...Afraid you don't get to many second chances with our stingy and bitey reptiles, spiders, crocs, jelly fish, sharks etc etc...Welcome to the Land Down Under...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  shona1 @7    4 years ago

shona, I don't know how you survive there.  It seems that all of the outdoors in Australia is determined to murder everyone.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1    4 years ago
It seems that all of the outdoors in Australia is determined to murder everyone.

LOL, not quite Sandy. There hasn't been a single case of a Quokka attacking or killing anyone. Mostly they smile at you.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @7.1.1    4 years ago

That smile is hiding something.

Actually, they're just cute as can be.

shona1
PhD Quiet
7.1.3  shona1  replied to  Kavika @7.1.1    4 years ago

Ahhh Quokkas..Cuteness over load....Only found in Western Australia...But we have got our Koalas on the East coast......

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1    4 years ago

A picture of the redback eating huntsman. Source: Amie Dreyer / Caters News Agency Link

A woman saw this in her mailbox. It does seem like everything down under is poisonous. Haha

Here the black widows are kind of passive. When I have disturbed one they curl up into a ball and drop.

The brown widows are more aggressive.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.5  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @7.1.3    4 years ago

Only on Rottnest Island. 

My wife and I did a trip there and the only vehicles allowed on the island are some small tour busses. My wife and all this fancy camera equipment and since these little critters are very rare we did not expect to get anywhere near them so she had the telescopic lens with a doubler. We were sure that if we ever got a chance to see one if would be a good distance away. The bus stopped and we got out and the Quokka's were right there with that smile on their faces not 10 feet from us...LOL trying to get the telescopic lens off so we could get a photo was a three-ring circus. We finally got the camera ready and they were all still there looking at us with that smile. There must have been 20 of them...

shona1
PhD Quiet
7.1.6  shona1  replied to  Ender @7.1.4    4 years ago

A/noon Ender...Yes one so small can do much damage...I have an extreme dislike for Huntsman Spiders and refuse to go to bed if there is one in the bedroom. It has to be remove as they have a nasty habit of dropping off the ceiling at night and on to the bed..Have one of those running over your face at night and you are soon wide awake..

shona1
PhD Quiet
7.1.7  shona1  replied to  Kavika @7.1.5    4 years ago

A/noon Kavika...Yes they are quite tame and happy to be photographed..Not been to WA or Rottenest but is on my bucket list...Glad you had a good time there...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @7.1.4    4 years ago

jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

I've found several black widows around my place - some in the wood pile, and one crawling on the gauge to my propane tank when I checked it in fall.  Never been bitten, but I admit, I do go ahead and kill them when I see them.  Sorry, not sorry.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.9  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @7.1.7    4 years ago

Hi shona, 

It was a lot of fun with Quokka's and you're right they are very very friendly. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  shona1 @7    4 years ago

I always wanted to visit where you are until I heard about funnel web spiders.  On a side note, how are you?  Have not seen you post in ages and I think about you from time to time.

shona1
PhD Quiet
7.2.1  shona1  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.2    4 years ago

A/noon Paula...Funnels are mainly found in NSW around Sydney and very rarely is anyone bitten..and they do have an antidote so you have a good chance of survival. Doing OK thanks Paula. Back at home and battling nausea more than anything but even that is fading. All is going to plan and I just take it a day at a time...Thank you for asking...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  shona1 @7.2.1    4 years ago

Well, it is good to see you back, but take it easy and get better.  We aren't going anywhere.jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     4 years ago

The boys are darn lucky. The world deadliest spider resides in Bolivia, the ''Wandering Spider''. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9  The Magic 8 Ball    4 years ago
Boys Let Black Widow Bite Them In Hopes Of Turning Into Spider-Man

it would have worked but they did not know to electrocute themselves at the same time.....   oops.

:)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @9    4 years ago

I thought the spider had to be radioactive?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9.1.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.1    4 years ago

only in comics and the movies.... im talkin real world.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @9.1.1    4 years ago

Don't go giving them more nifty ideas.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9.1.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.1.2    4 years ago

darwinism = it works

but still... snorting bleach because virus?    my top pick of the decade.  ( tide pods. takes second place )

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.1    4 years ago

Small boys usually cherry pick certain facts in order to imitate.

Kavika
Professor Principal
10  Kavika     4 years ago

G'day mate, I'm a Quokka is you a hooman?

Hi there, I be a hedgehog is you a hooman.

Finalists for the ''cuteness award''.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
10.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @10    4 years ago

I have always wanted to own a hedgehog, but it is illegal in CA to do so.