Your risk of severe COVID-19 may be affected by blood type, new genetic analysis suggests

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  flynavy1  •  2 weeks ago  •  48 comments

By:   Mindy Weisberger

Your risk of severe COVID-19 may be affected by blood type, new genetic analysis suggests
People with blood type O may have a reduced risk of developing severe symptoms

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Genes associated with certain blood types may increase the risk of severe COVID-19 infections, leading to respiratory failure and death, a new study suggests. 

The study authors found that people with blood type A were 50% more likely than people with other blood types to experience severe COVID-19 symptoms and respiratory failure. By comparison, people with blood type O had a 50% reduced risk of developing severe symptoms of COVID-19 — the disease caused by the novel coronavirus —  or those severe enough to require oxygen or a ventilator. 

Scientists uncovered the connection between blood type and COVID-19 outcome using a genome-wide association study. By looking at the single-letter changes in many genes across a large population, researchers can pinpoint gene variants that may be tied to disease risk, according to the National Human Genome Research Institute .

Two prior studies have hinted at the possibility of a link between blood types and risk factors for COVID-19, Live Science previously reported . Different teams of researchers found that people with blood type A had a higher risk of developing COVID-19, compared with people who had other blood types, and that people with blood type O were less likely to contract the disease.

However, these studies were released on the preprint database medRxiv — on March 27 and on April 11 — and were not peer-reviewed.

In the new study, researchers identified two regions in the genome where genetic variants were linked to severe cases of COVID-19 and a higher risk of death; in one of these regions was a gene that determines blood type. They published their findings online June 17 in the New England Journal of Medicine .

Full story here....

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-blood-type.html

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

FLYNAVY1
1  seeder  FLYNAVY1    2 weeks ago

While the studies have not yet been peer-reviewed, this might give us another weapon to determine who will get sick, and who will get really sick.  

Let's hope they can get these studies nailed down.

Kathleen
2  Kathleen    2 weeks ago

I am O positive.  So we shall see.

Just Jim NC TttH
2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Kathleen @2    2 weeks ago

Me too...........and I hope the study is right on getting it.........**crosses fingers**

Not that I am doing anything stupid like protesting with a few hundred others.

Kathleen
2.1.1  Kathleen  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1    2 weeks ago

Yep, let’s keep our fingers crossed...

bccrane
2.1.2  bccrane  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1    2 weeks ago

I and my entire family are "O-", but reading the article, you may have had it already and you stand a better chance of just being asymptomatic.

It Is ME
2.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1    2 weeks ago
and I hope the study is right on getting it

Maybe "One Day" ….. "One" of them ……  will hit the nail on the head ! jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

bccrane
2.1.4  bccrane  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.3    2 weeks ago

This study has been going on for a while, I heard about this 2 months ago, so if they are now publishing this, then that might mean there are enough case studies and there is actually something to this.

It Is ME
2.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  bccrane @2.1.4    2 weeks ago
then that might mean there are enough case studies and there is actually something to this.

We've been told that type story since day one !

Don't let Trump say anything about it, or the media might do their damndest to Debunk it !

FLYNAVY1
2.1.6  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.5    2 weeks ago

Peer review fellas.... peer review.

The article mentioned that the peer review on this research has not been completed.

It Is ME
2.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.6    2 weeks ago
The article mentioned that the peer review on this research has not been completed.

Maybe IN 2021 ?

Paula Bartholomew
3  Paula Bartholomew    2 weeks ago

Woo hoo....I am O Neg.jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Split Personality
3.1  Split Personality  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3    2 weeks ago

I believe I am also.

Paula Bartholomew
3.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Split Personality @3.1    2 weeks ago

You should find out as it might save your life one day.  If you are O pos, you are a universal recipient.  If you are O neg, you are a universal donor.

bccrane
3.1.2  bccrane  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.1    2 weeks ago

AB+ is the universal recipient, O- the universal donor but can only receive from O-, O+ can receive from O+ & O- only.

Raven Wing
3.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Split Personality @3.1    2 weeks ago
I believe I am also.

Not sure what I am. I'll have to ask my Doc. I've had enough blood tests that it should be of record somewhere. 

FLYNAVY1
4  seeder  FLYNAVY1    2 weeks ago

O-neg here.... The Vampires love me when I go to donate blood.  A double unit anyone?

As I find any more information related to this topic, I'll add it on this seed.

Kathleen
5  Kathleen    2 weeks ago

I also read that vitamin D could also play a factor in Covid 19.  It regulates your immune system, so if you are low, which many people are without knowing, you may need to check that.  I was low, and checking in a week to see if it is where it should be.  

Just Jim NC TttH
5.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Kathleen @5    2 weeks ago

That's what I was told so I upped my daily supplement to 2000 from 1000.

Kathleen
5.1.1  Kathleen  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.1    2 weeks ago

Just make sure you check with your doc Jim, they will test your levels..

JaneDoe
5.2  JaneDoe  replied to  Kathleen @5    2 weeks ago

I have been taking vitamin D for years. I spend a lot of time out in the sun but my levels were low before I started taking them. That surprised me but my Dr. at the time told me that people with darker skin actually absorb UV at a lower rate.

Kathleen
5.2.1  Kathleen  replied to  JaneDoe @5.2    2 weeks ago

Some medications can make it low, that was my problem. Plus I am fair so I use sunblock a lot.

JaneDoe
5.2.2  JaneDoe  replied to  Kathleen @5.2.1    2 weeks ago

I know this is bad to admit but I hardly ever use sunblock. I don’t think I have ever had sunburn in my life. My Sicilian skin just drinks it up. I keep telling my husband I should be picking olives or squashing grapes in Southern Italy but he isn’t getting the hint. 😂

FLYNAVY1
5.2.3  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  JaneDoe @5.2.2    2 weeks ago

I was stationed in Sicily for 2-1/2 years..... the olives were great... the food even better.... the wine....I really can't remember.  It must have been good.

Sparty On
5.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  JaneDoe @5.2.2    2 weeks ago
I don’t think I have ever had sunburn in my life.

Wow, be very thankful for that.

JaneDoe
5.2.5  JaneDoe  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.2.3    2 weeks ago

Most of my family originated in Messina. The pictures are so beautiful. Maybe one day I will get to see it. 
Which part of Sicily were you stationed in?

JaneDoe
5.2.6  JaneDoe  replied to  Sparty On @5.2.4    2 weeks ago

I am!

FLYNAVY1
5.2.7  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  JaneDoe @5.2.5    2 weeks ago

Down around Pachino.  There was a small 12 person NATO Training Range with the air traffic control tower/helicopter pad located at Punta Castellazzo.  The formal name was Pachino Target Range.  Our main base was Sigonella up to the West of Catania.

Loved the blood oranges!   Go take a trip when you can! 

Kathleen
5.2.8  Kathleen  replied to  JaneDoe @5.2.2    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png   You are so lucky, I will look like a lobster if I don't put something on at the beach. I was always jealous of people that tan.

Just Jim NC TttH
5.2.9  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JaneDoe @5.2.2    2 weeks ago
I keep telling my husband I should be picking olives or squashing grapes in Southern Italy

LOL

JaneDoe
5.2.10  JaneDoe  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.2.9    2 weeks ago

Hehehe... That’s right just like that.

I loved that episode also the one when they work in the chocolate factory.

Split Personality
5.2.11  Split Personality  replied to  Kathleen @5.2.8    2 weeks ago

I burn and 24 hours later it's gone.

Just Jim NC TttH
5.2.12  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Split Personality @5.2.11    2 weeks ago

Same here. I got burned a lot as a child and adolescent. It's weird as now as much time as I spend in the summer around our neighborhood pool, it still just turns medium brown after a day or two. Never real dark.

Sparty On
5.2.13  Sparty On  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.2.12    2 weeks ago

Back in the days before sunblock our ears would get burned so bad they would crack.   I'm waiting for them to fall off one of these days.

One more wonderful sensation provided with pay by your Uncle Sam.

Paula Bartholomew
5.2.14  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.2.7    2 weeks ago

I am of Sicilian descent and I went to Italy in 1970.  Their concept of pizza back then sucked.

FLYNAVY1
5.2.15  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.2.14    2 weeks ago

There in Sicily the best pizza place was a guy that had worked in N.Y. and brought back the N.Y. style pizza.  The  mob burned down his place twice.  He rebuilt twice.

Paula Bartholomew
5.2.16  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.2.15    2 weeks ago

When I found a place that advertised pizza, it had like 3 little pieces of meat and they folded it in half and wrapped it in butcher paper.  When I got it back to my room, everything stuck to one side, cheese and all.  Great sauce though.

Sparty On
6  Sparty On    2 weeks ago

I've got one of the rare ones, AB+ so data is sparse and the jury is still out.

Skeeters sure love it though .....

Kathleen
6.1  Kathleen  replied to  Sparty On @6    2 weeks ago

It is.. It's like throwing everything up against the wall to see what sticks.

FLYNAVY1
6.1.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Kathleen @6.1    2 weeks ago

We've got the world studying this thing.... we're going to get bits and pieces from different labs for years on this nasty little critter. 

Kathleen
6.1.2  Kathleen  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.1    2 weeks ago

That's true, but still good to know about some information that they are working on. 

Good article.

FLYNAVY1
6.1.3  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Kathleen @6.1.2    2 weeks ago

My pleasure..... I'm big on the sciences.

Paula Bartholomew
6.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @6    2 weeks ago

There are actually people that have no Rh factor.  It is so rare that they get paid big bucks to donate.  I actually ran across one case when I was a lab tech in the Army.  Testing his blood type drove me crazy as the lab I was running was small and in the middle of nowhere.  I finally had to turn it over to my HQ (Letterman Army Medical Center) for analysis as they had better testing methods.

FLYNAVY1
7  seeder  FLYNAVY1    2 weeks ago

From an ICU doctor we share a glass of wine with now and then, all patients are getting low dose aspirin, vitamin D3, and vitamin C in an effort to prevent blood clots.  Their local findings are that if the respiratory system keep functioning, that blood clots are the next biggest risk.

Just some medical information being passed along....

Perrie Halpern R.A.
8  Perrie Halpern R.A.    2 weeks ago

Fan-tas-tic! I'm A, my mom and dad are A. Lucky me!

bccrane
8.1  bccrane  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8    2 weeks ago

If only it were as simple as just change your blood out for O, but apparently/unfortunately there is a gene for that.

FLYNAVY1
8.2  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8    2 weeks ago

Way to hit the trifecta Perrie.....  Stay healthy!

FLYNAVY1
8.3  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8    2 weeks ago

I wonder.... if you sucked up a bunch of O-Neg..... might that help?

Best bet.... stay out of the ICU to start with.

Kathleen
8.4  Kathleen  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8    2 weeks ago

Nothing is set in stone yet... for all we know, they could change it and O would be the one most likely to get it... lol