╌>

18 family members test positive for COVID-19 following birthday party in Texas

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freefaller  •  4 years ago  •  16 comments

18 family members test positive for COVID-19 following birthday party in Texas

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A thoughtful surprise birthday party is believed to have caused a family-wide coronavirus outbreak. Following a surprise party on May 30, a Texas family has suffered 18 separate cases of positive COVID-19 diagnoses, ABC 8 reports. It's believed that one relative, not knowing they were infected, interacted with seven others at the party. These seven members then spread the virus to 10 others.

Ron Barbosa, one of the family members, didn't attend the party that day, but his nephew hosted it. "It wasn't that long. It was only a couple of hours," Ron Barbosa, a volunteer EMT, told the broadcast station. "But during that brief time, somehow the other 18 family members are now infected with COVID." Barbosa's wife, a doctor, said they refused to go due to safety reasons.

"When people started getting sick, we really let everyone have it," Barbosa continued. "We knew this was going to happen." Barbosa added: "I mean this whole time this has been going on we've been terrified."

Those infected include two children, two grandparents, Barbosa's own parents and a cancer patient. Three have been hospitalized, including Barbosa's parents and his sister, Kathy, who is battling breast cancer. Now, he can only speak to these family members by phone. "That was the best medicine, you know," he told ABC 13 of restricted visitation rules. "They are in there by themselves, no family and you know, it's heartbreaking." Kathy, Barbosa says, still caught the virus even though she was reportedly social distancing on the porch outside. She is recovering well, he added, but his parents aren't having the same luck His mother, Carole Barbosa, has been hospitalized since June 13, while his father, Frank Barbosa, has been in a hospital since June 17, he told ABC 13. "My dad's hanging on by a thread," he said. "They're saying this is one of the last straws for my dad."

On Wednesday, the Texan posted a call-out on Facebook for plasma from COVID-19 survivors. A day later, he announced that his father had received plasma and is recovering

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    4 years ago

Just a little cautionary tale about resuming life as normal

It does look like everyone enjoyed themselves though

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

CV - the gift that keeps on giving and giving and giving.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    4 years ago

New concern I heard mentioned tonight - how this is going to affect the survivors long term.  Will they have whatever reserves are necessary to fight off cancer in the future or some other influenza?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Split Personality @2.1    4 years ago

Only time will tell in the long term

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    4 years ago

So does it seem like it was worth it?

People blow this off because they don't want to believe anything bad will ever happen to them. Well? It does.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Tacos! @3    4 years ago

Yep... Ignore at your own risk, and the risk of others....

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Tacos! @3    4 years ago

Lol people are invulnerable, right up until they are not

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

Our county has outlined a complicated plan to return to school this fall.  Older students will only go one day per week, split up based on their last names.  The buses will carry only a few students - 19 per bus.  And the cafeterias will only seat as many students as can maintain a 6-foot distance.  It's going to be a logistical nightmare.

But we're having our county fair, cuz you don't DARE not have the county fair here.  Seems to me that we need to examine our priorities.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4    4 years ago
It's going to be a logistical nightmare.

Sounds like it

evilone
Professor Guide
5  evilone    4 years ago

It's all fun and games until you kill Grampa!

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  evilone @5    4 years ago

To be honest..... the millennials are calling this pandemic "The Boomer Buster.".

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1.1  evilone  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1    4 years ago

Until it's them, their family or close friends that get super sick and/or die. A 16 year old kid died this week of COVID.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  evilone @5.1.1    4 years ago

I'm sure most of us thought we were pretty indestructible in our 20s....  In our 60s we don't seem to bounce as well as we use to.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1.3  evilone  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1.2    4 years ago

I still have a year to go before I can order off the Senior menu. LOL!

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1.4  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1.2    4 years ago
we don't seem to bounce as well as we use to.

Lol I'm not sure of anyone else but I have never bounced well.  Most of my falls have ended with a dull THUD possibly followed by some groaning

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1.5  FLYNAVY1  replied to  evilone @5.1.3    4 years ago

I always wondered why there were so many "soft dishes" at Cracker Barrel.  I guess it doesn't dislodge dentures as easily.