╌>

Flu virus with 'pandemic potential' found in China

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  it-is-me  •  4 years ago  •  15 comments

Flu virus with 'pandemic potential' found in China
A new strain of flu which has the potential to become pandemic has been identified in China by scientists.

China is on this one too ! jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

It emerged recently and is carried by pigs, but can infect humans, they say.

The researchers are concerned that it could mutate further so that it can spread easily from person to person, and trigger a global outbreak.

They say it has "all the hallmarks" of being highly adapted to infect humans - and needs close monitoring.

As it's new, people could have little or no immunity to the virus.

Pandemic threat

A bad new strain of influenza is among the top disease threats that experts are watching for, even as the world attempts to bring to an end the current coronavirus pandemic.

The last pandemic flu the world encountered - the swine flu outbreak of 2009 that began in Mexico - was less deadly than initially feared, largely because many older people had some immunity to it, probably because of its similarity to other flu viruses that had circulated years before.

The new flu strain that has been identified in China is similar to 2009 swine flu, but with some new changes.

So far, it hasn't posed a big threat, but Prof Kin-Chow Chang and colleagues who have been studying it, say it is one to keep an eye on.

The virus, which the researchers call G4 EA H1N1, can grow and multiply in the cells that line the human airways.

They found evidence of recent infection starting in people who worked in abattoirs and the swine industry in China.

Current flu vaccines do not appear to protect against it, although they could be adapted to do so if needed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1  seeder  It Is ME    4 years ago

Ain't Life Grand ?  jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  It Is ME @1    4 years ago

Seems like all kinds of bad shit come to us from China.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    4 years ago
Seems like all kinds of bad shit come to us from China.

Good thing "Alzheimer" Joe called Trump a "Xenophobe" for wanting to restrict travel from China. 

Joe "Knows" better !  jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

No "Travel ban" will be needed !

But Staying away from folks, and masks, and handwashing, and UBER DISTANCING ....is a must.... according to Joe ! jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
1.1.2  Fireryone  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.1    4 years ago

At least he never called it a hoax and knows it isn't going to magically disappear.  It's hilarious how the right tries to make Biden as bad as trump.  It's simply not the case. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.3  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Fireryone @1.1.2    4 years ago
Biden as bad as trump.  It's simply not the case. 

True.....as to "Not the case".

Biden would be worse. If it's not written down for Biden by someone else, Biden doesn't know what to do !

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
1.1.4  Fireryone  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.3    4 years ago
n would be worse. If it's not written down for Biden by someone else, Biden doesn't know what to d

there is no way it could be worse. Trump is corrupt through and through...everyone knows it but the sheep on the right who still think he is divine. The man can't speak and he is clueless. 

Its humorous to see you say things that apply to trump as if they apply to Biden. They're night and day. Biden is no were near as dumb as trump.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.6  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @1.1.5    4 years ago

Democrats don't want a leader....they want a Dummy puppet ! They can make "IT" say whatever they want it to.

Believe it or not Mr. and Mrs. Liberal..... "Walter", "Bubba" and "Peanut" ...... Aren't REAL jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.7  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Fireryone @1.1.4    4 years ago

And You've been hurt by trumps policies.....how ?

Maybe it's his "Words" that have actually "Broken Your Bones", and that's your beef ?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

I wonder what cute little condescending name Trump will give this one.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.2  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    4 years ago

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.2.2  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.2.1    4 years ago

Small Penis Syndrome !

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3  Tacos!  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    4 years ago

This Little Piggy Flu