╌>

30-year-old dies after attending 'COVID party' thinking virus was a 'hoax'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  4 years ago  •  23 comments

By:   Ella Torres

30-year-old dies after attending 'COVID party' thinking virus was a 'hoax'
"The thought is people get together to see if the virus is real and if anyone gets infected," Appleby said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

San Antonio, June 24, 2020. Eric Gay/AP

Dr. Jane Appleby, chief medical officer for Methodist Hospital and Methodist Children’s Hospital, said in a recorded statement that the unidentified patient told nurses about the party, which she said is hosted by someone diagnosed with coronavirus.

"The thought is people get together to see if the virus is real and if anyone gets infected," Appleby said.

"I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it's not."

Those were the final words of a 30-year-old patient who died at Methodist Hospital in San Antonio this week after attending a so-called "COVID party," according to the hospital.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

C'mon-- seriously!

How on earth can anyone actually believe that the virus is a hoax? 

Are there actually people who never watch the news?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Krishna @1    4 years ago

How on earth can anyone actually believe that the virus is a hoax? 

Well, there are those that follow the Qanon conspiracy theories.....  and we can't really know if Trump thinks it's a hoax, of if he is just being politically expedient by calling it a hoax to hurt him at the polls.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1    4 years ago
and we can't really know if Trump thinks it's a hoax, of if he is just being politically expedient

Are you implying that Trump actually knows the existence of the virus is  not a hoax-- that the virus is real? And that the President of the United States is actually lying about it?

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.1.1    4 years ago

If that be the case-- I am shocked!

Shocked I tell you!

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Krishna @1.1.1    4 years ago

How are we going to be sure what Trump thinks about the virus?  What we do know is that he will burn down the entire country so he can stay in office. 

Those of us that live in the real world acknowledge the body bags associated with Covid.  Hell, the world knows that Covid isn't a hoax.  It goes to show you how willfully ignorant a chunk of Trump supporters are.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Krishna @1    4 years ago

My sister-in-law thinks it is.  Refuses to wear a mask or social distance, and wants to hug my parents when she picks up my nephew after they've kept him for a few days.  Mom feels pressured to accept the hugs.  I really hope she doesn't end up giving it to them.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

Bexar County, where San Antonio is located, currently has 18,602 confirmed cases, with an increase of 923 on Friday, according to the Department of Health.

The age range with the most cases were in people aged 20 to 29, making up 24%, and 30 to 39, making up 20%, according to the department.

MORE: Coronavirus case continue to surge as hospitals fill up and testing proves difficult

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

Appleby said her hospital is seeing more cases in people in their 20s and 30s.

She said while some can be treated and discharged, others become seriously ill.

Appleby warned that the virus "doesn't discriminate" and encouraged the public to wear a mask and stay home as much as possible.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Krishna @3    4 years ago

All that it would have taken would have been for Trump to show some small bit of leadership and wear a damned mask back in March.  So much of the current infection could have been avoided if he had put it out as our patriotic duty..... but no, he couldn't put the country before himself.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.1    4 years ago
All that it would have taken would have been for Trump to show some small bit of leadership and wear a damned mask back in March. 

Obviously Dear Leader's refusal to wear a mask for so long has been a role model for his groupies! 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1.1    4 years ago
Obviously Dear Leader's refusal to wear a mask for so long has been a role model for his groupies! 

There's been so much partisan back and forth is hard for some folks (especially the "mentally challenged) to follow what's going on.

But when people see that Dear Leader himself has refused to wear a mask-- for months!-- the obvious conclusion is that if he doesn't wear one, well, then obviously the virus is a hoax, couldn't be really all that serious.

So why should they wear one!

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1.1    4 years ago

There's been so much partisan back and forth is hard for some folks (especially the "mentally challenged) to follow what's going on.

But when people see that Dear Leader himself has refused to wear a mask-- for months!-- the obvious conclusion is that if he doesn't wear one, well, then obviously the virus is a hoax, couldn't be really all that serious.

So why should they wear one!

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was obese or had other medical problems. There was an expert on NPR a couple weeks ago saying many of the people hospitalized have a pre diabetic condition related to the nation’s obesity problem. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

"Tell us what our contestant has won Don Pardo!"

"Well Stu,for our winner we have a hospital bed and an respirator." (Audience claps)

Thank you for playing "What Next Dumb Fuck Will Buy Into Trump's CV Hoax Conspiracy Theory And Die"

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    4 years ago

I contend that they should be allowed to wear their "MAGA" hats while intubated....! 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6  Mark in Wyoming     4 years ago

From what I am seeing and reading , I think I will chaulk this up to youthful exuberance , or as some of us older folks would call it the superman syndrome , which is being young , 10 ft tall , healthy , and pretty much bullet proof , in other words they think it cant happen to them , it will always be the other guy it hits.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
6.1  pat wilson  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6    4 years ago
youthful exuberance

Call it whatever you want. At the end of the day it's pure stupidity.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     4 years ago

Definitely a Darwin Award Winner.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Kavika @7    4 years ago

At the very least an "honorable mention...."

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7.2  Ronin2  replied to  Kavika @7    4 years ago

Sure is a member of that none to illustrious group.

I am wondering why the hell everyone is still getting upset over these morons still. Weed them out, the faster the better.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ronin2 @7.2    4 years ago
I am wondering why the hell everyone is still getting upset over these morons still. Weed them out, the faster the better.

Because they could potentially take the innocent down with them.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7.2.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Ronin2 @7.2    4 years ago

Because they are Americans....Call it our better angles in hoping that we can help them to understand their error in judgement.  They are still our neighbors.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8  Mark in Wyoming     4 years ago

Im just glad I have an assortment of different masks ranging from the home sewn type I can still use even after all this while riding my MC , some wood working dust masks that work in a pinch to run into a store to a couple of N-99 masks I picked up over the years that all I needed to do was change the filters in. problem with those is I look like darth vader or a wannabe if I wear them.I might want to wear those on the bike.