How to See Comet NEOWISE

Category:  Other

Via:  dignitatem-societatis  •  4 years ago  •  18 comments

By:   Nasa.com

How to See Comet NEOWISE
Just after sunset, look below the Big Dipper in the northwest sky

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

How to See Comet NEOWISE

Observers in the Northern Hemisphere are hoping to catch a glimpse of Comet NEOWISE as it zips through the inner solar system before it speeds away into the depths of space. Discovered on March 27, 2020 by NASA’s Near-Earth Object Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (NEOWISE) mission, Comet NEOWISE is putting on a dazzling display for skywatchers before it disappears, not to be seen again for another 6,800 years. 

For those hoping to catch a glimpse of  Comet NEOWISE before it’s gone, there are several observing opportunities over the coming days when it will become increasingly visible shortly after sunset in the northwest sky. If you’re looking at the sky without the help of observation tools, Comet NEOWISE will likely look like a fuzzy star with a bit of a tail, so using binoculars or a small telescope is recommended to get the best views of this object. 

For those hoping to see Comet Neowise for themselves, here’s what to do: 

• Find a spot away from city lights with an unobstructed view of the sky

• Just after sunset, look below the Big Dipper in the northwest sky

• If you have them, bring binoculars or a small telescope to get the best views of this dazzling display

Each night, the comet will continue rising increasingly higher above the northwestern horizon as illustrated in the below graphic:

4354_sky_chart_showing_where_to_look_for_the_comet_in_late_july_to_the_northwest.jpg?itok=1_l8p1jS

Skychart showing the location of Comet C/2020 F3 just after sunset, July 15 through 23.
Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech

Want to learn more about Comet NEOWISE? Take a look at some of these resources:

Read these skywatching Tips from NASA:   https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/whats-up-skywatching-tips-from-nasa/

Learn these tips and trick on how to photograph comets and meteor showers:   https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/510/how-to-photograph-a-meteor-shower/

Take a look at these images of Comet NEOWISE captured by NASA missions: 

Explore various comet lessons and activities for educators and students: 

Learn more about NASA’s (NEOWISE) mission that discovered Comet NEOWISE:   https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/comet-neowise-sizzles-as-it-slides-by-the-sun-providing-a-treat-for-observers  

Brush up on comet science and learn how NASA studies these celestial objects:   https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/asteroids-comets-and-meteors/comets/overview

Learn more about comet science, how Comet NEOWISE was discovered, and how you can spot it in the sky in this episode of NASA Science Live:

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dig
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Dig    4 years ago

Here's a link to an MSN slideshow of the comet from various places around the world:

Spectacular Views of Comet Neowise

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    4 years ago

Nice!    Thanks, 👍

Dig
Professor Participates
3  seeder  Dig    4 years ago

Has anyone spotted it yet? I had clouds tonight.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Dig @3    4 years ago

My cabin is the perfect viewing spot but I have it rented until next Tuesday.    How long will it be viewable?

Dig
Professor Participates
3.1.1  seeder  Dig  replied to  Sparty On @3.1    4 years ago
How long will it be viewable?

Not sure, but the graphic above shows positions through July 23, so at least that long.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
3.2  bccrane  replied to  Dig @3    4 years ago

Be warned, I seen it last night around 10:30, it is very faint, I even looked for it a 2 am hoping for the darkest possible sky and it still took my night vision binoculars to find it almost straight north, after locating it I could barely see it by naked eye.

Dig
Professor Participates
3.2.1  seeder  Dig  replied to  bccrane @3.2    4 years ago

Yeah, the articles I've read about it all suggest using binoculars.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    4 years ago

Crazy part about this is that it was just discovered this March 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

Might have to take a drive.  I have a mountain to the northwest.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I saw this amazing photo on the CTV (Canada TV News) website:

image.jpeg

Comet NEOWISE is seen streaking above the sky with the Aurora Borealis visible just outside of Vancouver on July 13. (Liron Gertsman / @liron_gertsman_photography)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    4 years ago

Gorgeous!

Dig
Professor Participates
6.2  seeder  Dig  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    4 years ago

That's amazing.

Ender
Professor Principal
7  Ender    4 years ago

I keep forgetting to look. Don't know if I can see it from my house if it is low in the sky. Would probably have to hit the beach.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
7.1  bccrane  replied to  Ender @7    4 years ago

It's visible here in Michigan between the 44th & 45th parallel, right now it's halfway from the lip of the big dipper to the horizon.  I still needed to use the night vision binoculars to find it, but after that I can locate it visually.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  bccrane @7.1    4 years ago

Yeah I caught it last night the same way.    Tough to find with the naked eye unless you’re in a real low ambient light area.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
7.1.2  bccrane  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.1    4 years ago

Thinking about it the further south it may be brighter, being this far north I noticed that there were satellites going over to the north which means the earth's shadow is very shallow here and the upper atmosphere may still be receiving light from the summer sun washing out the comet. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  bccrane @7.1.2    4 years ago

Yeah, the space station is like a moving spotlight when viewed with night vision near dusk.    Very bright.

Dig
Professor Participates
8  seeder  Dig    4 years ago

Clouds one night and haze the next, but I finally got to see it tonight. It was kind of dim and fuzzy to the naked eye, but it looked pretty darn good through binos. Long tail, too.

Awesome.