Polls show Biden routing Trump. Here's how to read them. - POLITICO

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  3 weeks ago  •  53 comments

By:   POLITICO

Polls show Biden routing Trump. Here's how to read them. - POLITICO
A survey from ABC News and the Washington Post is the latest high-quality poll to show Biden with a double-digit lead.

Trump's chances are MELTING Melting melting...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

2020 Elections

Polls show Biden routing Trump. Here's how to read them.

A survey from ABC News and the Washington Post is the latest high-quality poll to show Biden with a double-digit lead.

Joe Biden speaks during a campaign event on July 14. | Patrick Semansky/AP Photo

President Donald Trump's bad poll numbers are getting worse.

The latest data point: A new ABC News/Washington Post poll released Sunday shows Trump 15 points behind former Vice President Joe Biden among registered voters, 55 percent to 40 percent.

The margin is closer among likely voters, 54 percent for Biden and 44 percent for Trump, but whichever margin you look at, the surveyis the fifth consecutive high-quality national poll — those conducted by live phone interviewers — to show Biden ahead of Trump by 10 points or more. Of the nine such polls conducted since the second half of June, Biden has led Trump by double digits in seven of them.

The surveys conducted over the past month put Biden in an enviable, evenhistoric position. He has a greater advantage over the incumbent going into the final few months of the campaign than any challenger since Bill Clinton, who seized the lead in the summer of 1992 after third-party candidate Ross Perot dropped out.

Then there's the newABC News/Washington Post poll, which shows Trump's approval on the coronavirus declining from 45 percent among registered voters in late May to 38 percent in the latest poll.

In all three surveys, disapproval of Trump on the coronavirus — the dominant issue facing the country right now — is around 60 percent. Meanwhile, Trump's vote share in all three polls is hovering around only 40 percent.

Don't misread the enthusiasm gap

Call it Trump's Paradox: Even as Trump has fallen farther behind Biden, his supporters are more enthusiastic about his candidacy.

In the ABC News/Washington Post poll, an astounding 94 percent of Trump voters say they are enthusiastic about supporting him — significantly greater than the 79 percent of Biden voters who feel the same way about the presumptive Democratic nominee.

But don't confuse enthusiasm for a candidate for enthusiasm about voting. Other data suggests Biden's voters are as motivated as Trump's — they just aren't getting their motivation from their candidate.

In the Quinnipiac poll, 71 percent of Democratic voters said they are paying "a lot" of attention to the election — slightly more than the 67 percent of Republicans who said the same. In the NBC/WSJ survey, 80 percent of Democrats rated their level of interest in the election as a "9" or "10" on a 1-10 scale, more than the 74 percent of Republicans who gave the same ratings.

That interest may not translate into the kinds of off-the-charts, candidate-centric enthusiasm like the boat paradesthe Trump campaign cites as a sign its standing is better than the public polls suggest. But the enthusiasm working for Bidenappears to be just as real.

POLITICO

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

JBB
1  seeder  JBB    3 weeks ago

Election handicappers have now reduced Trump's reelection chances from slim to none...

FLYNAVY1
1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  JBB @1    3 weeks ago

Don't ease off the gas..... I don't just want Trump beat, I want him humiliated when it comes to November.  GET OUT THE VOTE! 

JBB
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1    3 weeks ago

Yep, we must vote Democratic and vote often!

XDm9mm
1.1.2  XDm9mm  replied to  JBB @1.1.1    3 weeks ago
vote often!

That's illegal you know.   Election votes are a once and done thing, even for the registered in the grave.

Sparty On
2  Sparty On    3 weeks ago

From this point forward i see i'm going to be getting deja vu all over again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again to infinity and beyond.

JBB
2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @2    3 weeks ago

Only until Biden's victory on November 3rd...

I can't find any polls showing Trump ahead!

Sparty On
2.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @2.1    3 weeks ago

Yep, just be careful with the feeling your oats so hard now.   Lest the same result and let down occurs as Nov 2016.

The sky screaming, the wailing, the gnashing of teeth .... it was a pitiful display of dysfunction.   Not sure some will survive another one .....

JBB
2.1.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.1    3 weeks ago

2020 will be a lot more like 2018 than 2016.

In 2016 Hillary only won the popular vote by 2%. In 2018 the Democrats won the popular vote by 8%. Joe Biden is leading in the polls by 15%. Can't you understand the differences?

Sparty On
2.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @2.1.2    3 weeks ago
2020 will be a lot more like 2018 than 2016.

Doubtful.   2018 was a typical result for a midterm.   2020 is not a midterm.

Find a different justification.   That one is bullshit.

KDMichigan
2.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Sparty On @2    3 weeks ago
deja vu all over again

No shit, I didn't expect Trump to win in 2016 and I don't now. 

But i'm sure that if Trump does win we will see the same snowflake reaction and the same simple minded people that don't understand presidential elections are not a popularity contest. 

JBB
2.2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  KDMichigan @2.2    3 weeks ago

Biden is outpacing Clinton 2016 by a mile...

XDm9mm
2.2.2  XDm9mm  replied to  JBB @2.2.1    3 weeks ago
Biden is outpacing Clinton 2016 by a mile...

Not had to outpace a loser now is it?

XDm9mm
2.2.3  XDm9mm  replied to  KDMichigan @2.2    3 weeks ago
No shit, I didn't expect Trump to win in 2016 and I don't now. 

The silent majority that lives in fly over country are still silent and see what's going on in the Democrat coastal elite cities.  I feel certain they don't want those scenes replicated where they live.

JBB
2.2.4  seeder  JBB  replied to  XDm9mm @2.2.3    3 weeks ago

KDMichigan
2.2.5  KDMichigan  replied to  JBB @2.2.1    3 weeks ago

Wow thats awesome. I guess since Hillary was a shoe in to win we might as well not even have the election because Creepy Joe is polling so well hiding in his basement. We will just call him the winner because the polls say so. 

XDm9mm
2.2.6  XDm9mm  replied to  JBB @2.2.4    3 weeks ago
Except, those voters mostly died since 2016.

And Cuomo didn't kill off enough seniors in NY to compensate?

Seriously, you're pinning your hopes on who died?  I guess no Democrat voters died in that same period?

Now THATS fucking desperation.  Hoping enough people DIED so you stand a chance!!!

KDMichigan
2.2.7  KDMichigan  replied to  XDm9mm @2.2.6    3 weeks ago
Hoping enough people DIED so you stand a chance!!!

Well they do have a lock on the pervert and pedophile vote running Biden.

https://cloverchronicle.com/2019/04/29/video-collection-here-are-40-reasons-why-joe-biden-the-open-sexual-predator-should-never-become-president/

loki12
3  loki12    3 weeks ago

[removed]

JBB
3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  loki12 @3    3 weeks ago

Hillary won popular vote by 2%. Biden leads by 15%

loki12
3.1.1  loki12  replied to  JBB @3.1    3 weeks ago

Hillary in a landslide!!!  

JBB
3.1.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  loki12 @3.1.1    3 weeks ago

Hillary isn't running and Joe Biden isn't Hillary!

Ozzwald
3.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  JBB @3.1.2    3 weeks ago

Hillary isn't running and Joe Biden isn't Hillary!

Chill.  It's all they have, don't spoil it for them.

loki12
3.1.4  loki12  replied to  JBB @3.1.2    3 weeks ago

No Biden isn't Hillary, Joe Biden is a lot fucking dumber, maybe he can get some ignorant bartender to guide him?  Once he talks without a prompter, like at the debates he will be in a home by October and the DNC will be shown for the ignorant primary fixing assholes they are.  But I heard he thinks Arizona is an important city.........Dementia isn't funny, let the poor guy go to the home.

Sparty On
3.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  loki12 @3.1.4    3 weeks ago

Biden is Soro's Manchurian Candidate.   Nothing more, nothing less.

If you want a Greek Billionaire running the country.   Vote hidin Biden

JBB
3.1.6  seeder  JBB  replied to  loki12 @3.1.4    3 weeks ago

loki12
3.1.7  loki12  replied to  JBB @3.1.6    3 weeks ago

2 ways, 

1. everybody I know tells posters they are voting for Biden, everybody!

2. the pollsters along with the DNC are too fucking stupid, to figure out they being fucked with. 

That explains the poll, But what does that have to do with Biden being a moron, and now a moron with dementia? the only thing is, it makes it difficult to diagnose because there isn't much difference.  

https://www.kut.org/post/poll-hillary-clinton-leads-donald-trump-texas  

This was in September, How many mindless fools were screaming Texas has gone blue?  final tally? Trump won by 9% 

Look on the bright side, if enough worthless communist takers flee KKKalifornia to Texas, they may eventually turn it into a shithole too. 

But yeah polls!!!!!

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
3.1.8  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  loki12 @3.1.7    3 weeks ago

I just don't share the way I'm voting.

XDm9mm
3.1.9  XDm9mm  replied to  loki12 @3.1.7    3 weeks ago
1. everybody I know tells posters they are voting for Biden, everybody! 2. the pollsters along with the DNC are too fucking stupid, to figure out they being fucked with. 

I had that just the other day.

But when they asked for the money, I told them I'm a senior on a seriously limited budget.  But they could send me campaign literature and I'd be willing to help distribute it.    Got that package in the mail Saturday and went from the mail box to the recycling can (Don't want to waste space in the landfill with that shit.)

loki12
3.1.10  loki12  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @3.1.8    3 weeks ago

I flat out lie to them, they use the polls to shape the way people think, you see it here, people want to back the "winner" band wagoners to use a sports analogy, Don't you want to back the winner, once they are completely discredited, then we will get them to try to stop influencing elections.

A perfect example: Nine out of 10 dentists recommend toothpaste A, Really? my dentist never recommends an over the counter brand, or almost never. 

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
3.1.11  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  loki12 @3.1.10    3 weeks ago

Agreed. I don't take any stock in the polls. 

loki12
3.1.12  loki12  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.9    3 weeks ago

Well played! I get involved locally, to much money buying influence nationally. 

XDm9mm
3.1.13  XDm9mm  replied to  loki12 @3.1.12    3 weeks ago
Well played! I get involved locally, to much money buying influence nationally. 

True.   My money donations go to local elections.   I'm still waiting for the final results of the Reyes/Gonzales primary runoff in TX 23.  Finally that asshat Hurd is leaving.

loki12
3.1.14  loki12  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.13    3 weeks ago

The progressive communists got one of the most powerful democrats out, rep Engle lost to a Communist challenger.

XDm9mm
4  XDm9mm    3 weeks ago

Polls Show Biden Routing Trump. Here's How To Read Them.

The second sentence above is actually the most telling. 

The abject fucking brain dead morons that read and believe "ABC News" and the Washington Post need to be told "HOW TO READ THEM."

Obviously, they're too fucking stupid to accomplish that without being led by the hand and have everything explained to them!!!

I still remember election night 2016 when the same talking heads from the networks and WAPO were proclaiming that it was 99% positive that Clinton would win in a landslide and that there WAS NO POSSIBILITY of Trump getting the 270 electoral votes necessary to win.  

Well, I will give them that.  President Trump did NOT get 270 Electoral College votes.   He got 306 Electoral Votes, so I'll give the talking heads and WAPO a half check for getting that projection correct.

JBB
4.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  XDm9mm @4    3 weeks ago

Then show us the polls showing Trump is winning...

We will wait butt not for long. Best get started now!

XDm9mm
4.1.1  XDm9mm  replied to  JBB @4.1    3 weeks ago
Then show us the polls showing Trump is winning...

Maybe you're unaware, but POLLS don't win elections.  

Maybe you don't remember the 2016 POLLS which had Clinton winning even on election night with a 99% certainty.

I seriously question the reliance some have on POLLS which can be made to come to the predetermined conclusion the pollster or poll requester wants, simply by the way the question is worded.

JBB
4.1.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.1    3 weeks ago

Do not delude yourselves. Clinton never lead Trump in the polls the way Biden does now...

Sparty On
4.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @4.1.2    3 weeks ago

Don't delude yourself.   Biden can't hide forever.  

When he actually comes out of his hidey hole and debates Trump then we will see.   Then we will see .....

KDMichigan
4.1.4  KDMichigan  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.3    3 weeks ago

Guess who is going to be one of those screaming at the sky because the polls said....

XDm9mm
4.1.5  XDm9mm  replied to  JBB @4.1.2    3 weeks ago
Do not delude yourselves. Clinton never lead Trump in the polls the way Biden does now...

First, when you reply to an individual, try using the singular as opposed to the plural or preferred leftist term collective 'yourselves'.

Second, I'm not the one with the delusion.  Just sayin.

JBB
4.1.7  seeder  JBB  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.5    3 weeks ago

Except, you are not the only one deluding themself about Trump's abysmal chances.

If you have any credible evidence Trump is really better of than the polls say show it...

XDm9mm
4.1.8  XDm9mm  replied to  JBB @4.1.7    3 weeks ago
If you have any credible evidence Trump is really better of than the polls say show it...

Well the nations police came out the other day and threw their support and endorsement behind President Trump.  800,000 cops, plus their families add up to a few million votes.   Biden stepped on his limp dick when he supported defunding the police.

I'll submit that of the roughly 100 million gun owners in America, a very good number of them will vote President Trump especially considering Hiden Biden wants Gun Grabbin BETO (YES...  I'll take those AR-15's) helping him.

I'll submit that there a a few million energy sector workers and their families that will vote President Trump as opposed to the man Hiden Biden that wants to destroy and essentially shut down the industry.

But, what do I know.  I don't believe polls, just the people I talk to whenever I'm out.

Still relying on polls.  Go for it.  That's all you have.

By the way, exactly where is Hiden Biden these days?

Texan1211
4.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  loki12 @4.1.6    3 weeks ago

I expect you'll recieve radio silence on this post, since you proved what he couldn't.

loki12
4.1.10  loki12  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.9    3 weeks ago

It's amazing how many things are unprecedented to some, Never happened before etc......when it was literally the last election, no wonder they keep making the same stupid mistakes. Bolton and Bitter Mary trump have shot their collective wads.....Biden is still going to have to face the people and real questions at some point.   There isn't enough Aracet in the world to make that moron appear lucid for long.

Adam_Selene
5  Adam_Selene    3 weeks ago

Note how the Republicans are talking about a group of stealth Republicans hiding their intentions from the pollsters until election day? (First that would require intelligent design and organization.)

What if instead they are unenthusiastic and ashamed to call themselves Republicans any more and are moving themselves to the Independent category when the pollsters call.

That gives you an ever shrinking Republican party containing only the most enthusiastic.

The polls would show increasing Republican enthusiasm.

This could be confirmed by checking the trends of % declaring they are Republicans and those identifying as right leaning Independents.

Sparty On
5.1  Sparty On  replied to  Adam_Selene @5    3 weeks ago

Good liberal talking points.  

Too bad most of them aren't true but by all means keep believing that they might be.

I enjoy watching opponents underestimate their adversary.   It's delicious to watch.  

Especially when they melt down like in 2016.

JBB
5.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @5.1    3 weeks ago

Yet, in the 2018 midterm election the gop suffered their worst popular vote loss in history...

XDm9mm
5.1.2  XDm9mm  replied to  JBB @5.1.1    3 weeks ago
Yet, in the 2018 midterm election the gop suffered their worst popular vote loss in history...

Quite common in mid terms.  Hell, even Obama lost more than the Republicans, but I guess you forgot that little factoid.

Sparty On
5.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.2    3 weeks ago

It's a look ..... Squirrel ..... moment

Sparty On
5.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @5.1.1    3 weeks ago

Nothing to do with the 2020 election.   Nothing at all.

Texan1211
5.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.2    3 weeks ago
Quite common in mid terms.  Hell, even Obama lost more than the Republicans, but I guess you forgot that little factoid.

He thinks overall votes for Congress is more important. He doesn't consider seats won or lost as a measurement of successful campaigns, just overall votes, in different states and different districts all tallied together.

XDm9mm
5.2  XDm9mm  replied to  Adam_Selene @5    3 weeks ago
Note how the Republicans are talking about a group of stealth Republicans hiding their intentions from the pollsters until election day? (First that would require intelligent design and organization.) What if instead they are unenthusiastic and ashamed to call themselves Republicans any more and are moving themselves to the Independent category when the pollsters call.

Maybe YOU trust some anonymous shithead that calls you out of the blue asking you questions.   I don't.

Further, considering what we view from leftists trashing and burning cities down, I would not put it passed them to attack individuals that don't think in lock step with their demented ideologies, and considering they already have phone numbers, it stands to reason that they also have addresses.

Now, on a personal note, I have no problem dropping some lowlife scumbag thug coming through my front door, or any that pose a threat to my loved ones, friends or myself outside of my home, but I don't invite such with answering questions posed by anonymous people.  You're more than welcome to should you so decide.