╌>

Esther Salas: A gunman killed a federal judge's son at her New Jersey home. He appeared to be dressed as a delivery driver, source says

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sparty-on  •  4 years ago  •  35 comments

By:   Evan Perez, Amir Vera and Mark Morales (CNN)

Esther Salas: A gunman killed a federal judge's son at her New Jersey home. He appeared to be dressed as a delivery driver, source says
The shooting took place at the home of New Jersey Federal Judge Esther Salas.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

(CNN)The son of US District Court of New Jersey Judge Esther Salas has died after a gunman opened fire on her North Brunswick home Sunday, the top judge at the federal courthouse confirmed to CNN.

Chief Judge Freda Wolfson told CNN late Sunday that Salas' son Daniel Anderl, 20, was killed in the shooting and her husband, Mark Anderl, a defense attorney, was injured. Salas was unharmed, Wolfson said. Both theUS Marshals and FBI are investigating the shooting. Initial reports from law enforcement said Daniel Anderl opened the door with his father right behind him. The door opened to a hail of gunfire and the gunman fled, a law enforcement source told CNN. "We are looking for one subject," the FBI said in a statement. "We are working closely with our state and local partners and will provide additional updates when available." The gunman appeared to be wearing a FedEx uniform, a law enforcement official with direct knowledge of the investigation told CNN. Read More It is not yet known whether the gunman was a FedEx employee or someone posing to be an employee. "We are aware of the media reports and are fully cooperating with investigating authorities," Jonathan Lyons, a spokesman for FedEx, said in an email statement. Law enforcement has not been aware of any threats against the judge, the source told CNN. Right now investigators don't know the motive. Federal court records show that Salas has presided over several high-profiles cases, including the financial fraud case of Real Housewives of New Jersey stars Teresa and Joe Giudice. She also handled the 2018 sentencing of Farad Roland, who was found guilty of federal racketeering charges and sentenced to 45 years in prison by Salas. Roland was the leader of the South Side Cartel, "one of Newark's most violent street gangs," a press release from the US Justice Department said. On Thursday, Salas was assigned to handle a class action lawsuit brought against Deutsche Bank by Ali Karimi on behalf of investors who purchased securities from the bank between November 7, 2017, and July 6, 2020. The complaint alleges that the bank "failed to properly monitor customers that the Bank itself deemed to be high risk, including, among others, the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein," federal court records show. Condolences for the judge and her family have come from top political leaders in New Jersey. "Judge Salas and her family are in our thoughts at this time as they cope with this senseless act," New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy said in a statement. "This tragedy is our latest reminder that gun violence remains a crisis in our country and that our work to make every community safer isn't done." Democratic US Sen. Bob Menendez, who said he was proud to have recommended Judge Salas to former President Barack Obama, also issued a statement sending his prayers to the family. "My prayers are with Judge Salas and her family, and that those responsible for this horrendous act are swiftly apprehended and brought to justice," Menendez said. North Brunswick Mayor Francis "Mac" Womack told CNN over the phone Sunday night that Judge Salas' husband Mark Anderl is "one of the most straight-up honest attorneys" he has dealt with. "He's a very very exuberant, vibrant, one hundred percent pleasant person," Womack said. "He loves to talk about his wife, and he loves to brag about his son, and how his son would excel in baseball, and how he was doing down in college in Washington ... I'm just very sorry to see him going through this." The FBI urged anyone with relevant information to call FBI Newark at 973-792-3001.

CNN's Mitchell McCluskey, Ganesh Setty, Alta Spells and Sonia Moghe contributed to this report.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sparty On    4 years ago

Powerful people involved in this one.

I hope they get to the bottom of who these POS's are.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

"We are looking for one subject," the FBI said in a statement. 

There is an implication there - they have a suspect?

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     4 years ago

According to the article the son opened the door with his father behind him and was met with a hail of gunfire. Could it be that the son or the father were the targets and not the judge?

Hopefully, the murderer is caught quickly.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1  Ronin2  replied to  Kavika @5    4 years ago
Could it be that the son or the father were the targets and not the judge?

I am sure that it will be investigated; but the leading candidate will be the judge at first.  It may have just been a botched hit; or someone more concerned about sending a message than taking out the judge.

Hopefully, the murderer is caught quickly.

I think we can all agree on that. Can't let people get comfortable with the idea they can threaten or take out a judge.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
6  Account Deleted    4 years ago

Let's see - daughter of Mexican and Cuban Jewish Catholic parents , appointed by Obama, involved in investigating  Deutsche Bank and money laundering .

I'm not really seeing the far left angle in this.

Now who else has had questions raised about Deutsche Bank and money laundering? Hummmm   

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Account Deleted @6    4 years ago
I'm not really seeing the far left angle in this.

The angle is to protect powerful people from revelations which might come from the Epstein case.   Many of whom reside heavily on the left side of the political chart.

There are far too many "coincidences" involved for them all to be coincidences in my opinion.

Hopefully they have a SEAL team protecting that gal that is in custody now.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
6.1.1  pat wilson  replied to  Sparty On @6.1    4 years ago
Many of whom reside heavily on the left side of the political chart.

Actually if you look at his list of "friends" they come from both sides of the aisle.

How does someone "reside heavily" ?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.2  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  pat wilson @6.1.1    4 years ago
Actually if you look at his list of "friends" they come from both sides of the aisle.

Never said they didn't

How does someone "reside heavily" ?

Not sure how else to say it.   A proclivity for left wing liberalism perhaps.  

Help me to help you.   How can i explain it so you can "understand it" better?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
6.1.3  pat wilson  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.2    4 years ago
Never said they didn't

Then what's your point ?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.4  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  pat wilson @6.1.3    4 years ago

You asked what reside heavily meant.    I gave you one possibility.    A damn solid one in my opinion.

You apparently don’t agree.  

C’est la vie .......

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.5  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.4    4 years ago

Ah.... but the truth seems to be that he was an ardent antifeminist..... which happens to be a far-right thing.... You know... Rush Limbaugh and such.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.6  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.5    4 years ago

Keep rationalizing .... you do it so well.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8  Tessylo    4 years ago

So you buy into the conspiracies about the Clintons?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
9  lady in black    4 years ago

Suspect an attorney was found dead:

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1  Kavika   replied to  lady in black @9    4 years ago

This is really bizarre.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
9.2  Transyferous Rex  replied to  lady in black @9    4 years ago

I wish there was more meat to that story. I found another, claiming the suspected shooter had a case in front of Judge Salas in 2015. Seriously? Is that the most recent? Five years harboring ill will? Wow. The husband was a defense attorney. I'd like to know if the husband worked opposite the suspect.

From the other source:

Also inside the car was a FedEx package addressed to the judge.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
10  FLYNAVY1    4 years ago

The attacker was a lawyer with a history of antifeminism...... any bets he was a faithful follower of Rush Limbaugh....?  

The suspect has now been identified as Roy Den Hollander, a Manhattan lawyer and self-described antifeminist, multiple law enforcement sources briefed on the case told ABC News and the FBI confirmed.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
10.1  Transyferous Rex  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @10    4 years ago

I read some of the stuff this guy apparently wrote. He sued an attorney for allegedly stealing several essays he claimed were under copyright. Let's just say the writings clearly indicate he had a screw loose. The fact that he sued someone for infringing on his rights to the property indicates that maybe the screws aren't simply loose, they are missing. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
11  Jeremy Retired in NC    4 years ago

If New Jersey only had stricter gun laws.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @11    4 years ago

Lol .... exactly