╌>

Ted Cruz Faces Backlash On Line After Suggesting Waiters And Waitresses Are Grifters

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  49 comments

By:   David (Crooks and Liars)

Ted Cruz Faces Backlash On Line After Suggesting Waiters And Waitresses Are Grifters
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) faced backlash online on Sunday after he suggested restaurant servers are grifting government money instead of working during the coronavirus pandemic.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

grabien-cruz-722075.jpg Image from: Screengrab

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) faced backlash online on Sunday after he suggested restaurant servers are grifting government money instead of working during the coronavirus pandemic.

Cruz made the remarks during an appearance on the CBS program Face the Nation .

"I've spoken to small business owners all over the state of Texas who are trying to reopen," the senator said, "and they are calling their waiters and waitresses, they are calling their bus boys and they won't come back."

Cruz added: "And of course they won't come back because the federal government is paying them in some instances twice as much money to stay home."

Restaurant servers and their families immediately lashed out at Cruz on Twitter.

Many argued that Cruz should focus his attention on getting wages up instead of attacking wait staff. Others warned Cruz to think twice before eating out next time.

Read some of the comments below.

Hey @tedcruz, perhaps all those people across Texas don't want to go back to work because there's a major outbreak in your state, not because you're giving them too much money. Try looking out for the little guy for once. — Advice for Dodos (@advicefordodos) July 26, 2020

Ted Cruz on F the N talking about how waitstaff should not get $600.00 week unemployment because they do not make much. My daughter makes $1000.00 a week when she works with a check of 100.00 a week. Another clueless Repug pissing off a lrg segment of voters — Donna ‍⚕️ (@dsoginer1) July 26, 2020

Ted Cruz does not get it.
He refuses to help the 40 million Americans out of work !
He needs to know how it feels to wonder how you are going to feed your family and keep a roof over their head.
Americans i hope remember during election time those who have turned their backs .
— JohnCo (@JohnCo90010252) July 26, 2020

That's right @tedcruz punish those w/ few resources & opportunities, just getting by w/o a job. Punish "busboys" who "refuse" work since they "make more money from unemployment." I hope they all live in TX & vote to remove your smarmy mug from public life. #facethenation — Carol Plemons (@RealRealGone) July 26, 2020

OMG
Ted Cruz on @FaceTheNation, says the House plan to continue the $600 supplement is just "shoveling trillions out the door" to "her friends".
I guess you guys are drinking beer and playing video games all day?
— Chris (@321HelloWorld) July 26, 2020

Did anyone watch Ted Cruz on Face the Nation? Ted harped a lot about getting back to work, opening schools. He doesn't want people to receive the extra$600 for unemployment. There are no jobs, Texas is a hot spot,He is delusional and a Piece of shit. — LMelendez #Biden 2020 (@TXLinMelendez) July 26, 2020

Someone spit in Cruz's dinner plate..Ted Cruz spews disgust at 'waiters and waitresses' who he says don't deserve $600 unemployment checks — DrinkitPlain (@DavidPfdle) July 26, 2020

Ted Cruz in Sunday's Face the Nation. He needs a reality check, his GOP cronies gave millions relief money to businesses including Trumps. He is clueless. Blaming Dems for wanting to actually help the normal Americans not the big businesses. @tedcruz#GOPComplicit#JoeBiden2020 — Sandra E. (@elfgail1) July 26, 2020

Let me tell you @tedcruz, my sis owns a huge salon in LA County, she is trying to survive. No stimulus money to her cuz Trump gave it to the wealthy. She had a vibrant business, the Rep brought her down, now everyone is afraid to come back to work, why?The virus the Reps ignore — CjoMolly (@CjoMolly) July 26, 2020

Ted Cruz says waiters and waitresses don't deserve $600 checks. I would like to see him work one shift as a waiter. It galls me that he pretends to be a Christian ! — Kathmandu1214 (@Kathmandu1214) July 26, 2020

Dear @tedcruz,
Waiters and waitresses vote. You may want to remember who you work for.
— Myonlinealias ❤️ (@Myonlinealias1) July 26, 2020

Hey Ted Cruz,
FUCK YOU If I refuse to go back to work I LOSE my Ue. So your talking point is bs. So sic of you repugs telling me I am lazy and don't want to work. Losing my job to a pandemic that could have been mitigated in Jan. IS trumps, yours &the repugs fault. #voteblue
— Helen Meerschaert (@HMeer2010) July 26, 2020

Wow. @tedcruz on @FaceTheNation
says their are 2 crises in America: the pandemic and the economic collapse and that a payroll tax cut is the answer. No mention of fascist military police in American cities or police brutality. #blm
— Elizabeth (@_lazypants) July 26, 2020

Ted Cruz, if you what Nancy Pelosi is recommending for lower paid people then maybe you should try doing the job they do, even just for a day. You'll realize that what they do is much harder than just running their mouth like you do. SHAME on you — Pixie-Dawn ‍♀️ (@PixieDawn1) July 26, 2020

#TedCruz your an idiot, how do you expect people to go back to work with a killer virus, your Texas is on the brink of total destruction and soon chaos. You and your republicans buddies but wake up. Your the reasons trump is going to lose. Moron nobody is asking you to pay — Jacob Darrah (@JacobDarrah5) July 26, 2020

My son was a waiter at a high-end NYC restaurant, and pompous POS @tedcruz wouldn't even make it through the training period. — Suburban Guerrilla Ω (@SusieMadrak) July 26, 2020

I think if we all band together and work really hard, we might be able to get @tedcruz on unemployment.
Maybe then he will understand how wrong his POV is on the situation. #CARESAct2#Helpyourpeople#payattentionplease
— El Roacho (@jonlindsay999) July 26, 2020

Let's work on getting Ted Cruz to resign or to step down immediately he is out of touch with the people. He's got millions in the bank just like all politicians they forget where they came from. — Rudedogg (@Rudedog97303634) July 26, 2020

Waitpersons should not vote for Ted Cruz. He holds you in contempt for some reason. — Paul Cogan (@PaulCogan) July 26, 2020

When senators like @tedcruz and @senatemajldr mention that the additional $600 people are getting in unemployment is preventing them from going back to jobs that pay them less than that, doesn't that point to a larger economic disparity issue?#unemploymentextension#money#up — Jesse Poppick (@jpopp) July 26, 2020

The real problem is too many Americans aren't making enough money to survive. The extra 600$ a week goes to show that. We have trillions for endless war and military, but when it comes to the American people, @tedcruz and @realDonaldTrump don't think we deserve it. Fuck off. — Connor J. Kennedy (@connorboco) July 26, 2020

Hey @tedcruz! Good luck eating out, servers & bartenders are hurting more than you think. But I'm not the guy that lost to @realDonaldTrump. — John Romard (@BostonAttitude) (@BobbyNaples) July 26, 2020

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Ted Cruz lost all credibility when he told the world that Trump was a psychopath at the end of the Republican primaries in 2016 and then endorsed Trump for president anyway. 

Trump called Cruz wife a dog and Cruz still backed Trump. LOL. What macho men. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Guess who will have his food spit in the next time he goes to an eatery.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @1.1    4 years ago

bummer, and I doubt if his mentally unbalanced wife cooks. never piss off a server before you get your food. I hope teabag ted gets a big lougee in every restaurant entree he orders for the rest of his life. bwah ha ha ha

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.1    4 years ago
I hope teabag ted gets a big lougee in every restaurant entree he orders for the rest of his life. bwah ha ha ha

Mature.

Very, very mature.

Talk about pissing off servers, and then you play right into one of the stereotypes people often mistakenly hold for servers.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    4 years ago

uh-huh, got anything to say on the topic? I've worked every position from dishwasher to manager in a restaurant before. it's hilarious for trumpsters to assume that tipped employees would make their pre-existing wages with restaurants now operating at 50% capacity. what sane person would pass on the $600 a week to make a fraction of that? more proof of a complete lack of understanding of economics by trumpsters. personally, I hope senate republicans continue to drag their feet on this issue. the timing on the shit hitting the fan for the economic calamity they've created couldn't be better. who's trying to crash the economy to keep POS/POTUS from being re-elected? guess again trumpsters.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.3    4 years ago

I responded to what YOU wrote. If it is off topic, then your post is, too.

I don't need any info on restaurants from you.

I have been in the business for over 40 years.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.4    4 years ago

that explains your hatred for undocumented workers that expect to be paid equal wages...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.5    4 years ago

well, now there you are just flat out wrong.

Please don't lie about me.

When have I ever said I hate undocumented workers-- by which I will assume you mean illegal aliens?

Either retract your false statement or prove it .

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.7  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    4 years ago

you've already doxed that greasy spoon here. better learn how to prep the kitchen before the pandemic goes away, or get used to shaving those legs...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.7    4 years ago

I have no idea what you are trying to communicate.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.9  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.8    4 years ago

of course you don't.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.9    4 years ago

That's correct.

I don't understand gibberish.

So, just for kicks, perhaps back up your wild claims?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.9    4 years ago

you could just cease making false claims about me, since we both know you made it up.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.1.12  Gazoo  replied to  devangelical @1.1.3    4 years ago

“what sane person would pass on the $600 a week to make a fraction of that?”

what sane person thinks that unemployment, plus an extra $600 a week is sustainable? And you slam others for a complete lack of understanding economics? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Gazoo @1.1.12    4 years ago

people who think the world owes them because they were born.

people who don't pay income taxes

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.14  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.13    4 years ago

Unemployment benefits are taxable income!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1.1.14    4 years ago

Did someone claim that they weren't?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

Everything he said is, of course, true.  When the government pays you the equivalent of 50,000 a year not to work, why work?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    4 years ago

If your employer calls you back to work and you say no the most likely result is your unemployment compensation will be cut off. 

The GOP just wants to end the 600 dollar payments , its as simple as that.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    4 years ago

Paying people to stay home didn't work. It was a failure that added trillions in debt. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.1.1    4 years ago

waiting about 5 months for any leadership on the pandemic from the impotent POS in the white house was the failure that added trillions to US debt.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Dean Moriarty  replied to  devangelical @2.1.2    4 years ago

Yes I think he should have vetoed the three large spending bills. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.1.1    4 years ago

They were staying home because their places of employment were shut down.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    4 years ago
Everything he said is, of course, true.  

Actually, it isn't. 

When the government pays you the equivalent of 50,000 a year not to work, why work?

Because if you refuse an offer for employment, you LOOSE your unemployment benefits. 

Now there are some states, including Texas, that allow you to refuse to return to work if you can PROVE extenuating circumstances. yet FEW qualify. Now if you or Cruz have an issue with THAT policy, contact your STATE and address it THERE. It has NOTHING to do with the justification for Federal benefits. 

Oh and BTFW, almost every state limits unemployment benefits to 26 weeks so you really need to redo your math. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dulay @2.2    4 years ago
offer for employment, you LOOSE your unemployment benefits

Where does that say that in the federal bill?

ery state limits unemployment benefits to 26 weeks so you really need to redo your math.

You really redo your reading.  There's a word I wrote you either missed or don't understand. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.2.1    4 years ago

It still doesn't work out to 50K a year.

When the government pays you the equivalent of 50,000 a year not to work, why work?

That's your quote is it not?

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.3  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.2.1    4 years ago
Where does that say that in the federal bill?

States administer unemployment benefits Sean. 

You really redo your reading. 

No need. 

There's a word I wrote you either missed or don't understand. 

Nope, I block quote your comment. Unemployment benefits are limited to 26 weeks a YEAR in most states. NO unemployed person will get anywhere near the 'equivalent of $50,000 a year' from the government. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dulay @2.2.3    4 years ago
s administer unemployment benefits Sean

No kidding. And the federal 600 benefit applies every time the state grant benefits. So there's no federal requirement to stop paying federal benefits if they refuse a job. So your statement that they will "LOOSE" unemployment benefits as a matter of course is false. 

employment benefits are limited to 26 weeks a YEAR in most states. NO unemployed person will get anywhere near the 'equivalent of $50,000 a year' from the government. 

Do you not understand the word equivalent? Receiving  around a  $1,000 dollars a week in unemployment benefits is the equivalent of being paid $50,000 a year.  Look up the meaning of the word equivalent if you are still confused. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.5  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.2.4    4 years ago
No kidding. And the federal 600 benefit applies every time the state grant benefits. So there's no federal requirement to stop paying federal benefits if they refuse a job. So your statement that they will "LOOSE" unemployment benefits as a matter of course is false. 

Wow that's some galactic BULLSHIT right there Sean. 

Do you not understand the word equivalent?

Yes, do YOU?

Receiving  around a  $1,000 dollars a week in unemployment benefits is the equivalent of being paid $50,000 a year. 

Where the fuck do waiters and waitresses get $1000 a week in unemployment benefits Sean? Even with an added $600 from the Feds they don't come anywhere close. jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif  

Look up the meaning of the word equivalent if you are still confused. 

Not confused at all Sean. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.3  cjcold  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    4 years ago

Do you realize how many hard workers that you just insulted with that idiotic statement?

Many of us enjoy what we do to make a living.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  cjcold @2.3    4 years ago
realize how many hard workers that you just insulted with that idiotic statement

Why are "hard workers" insulted because some choose to sit home and collect around a thousand a week not to work?

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.3.2  devangelical  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.1    4 years ago

I'm willing to take one for the team and risk going back to work, right after my previous wage level is guaranteed, if I contract Covid-19 the government pays all my healthcare costs, and if I die because of my age and pre-existing health conditions that make me more vulnerable my kids get a death benefit equal to risking my life in a war. otherwise, trumpski and his legion of morons in the senate can go F themselves.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.3  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.3.2    4 years ago

why does someone else have to pay your way?

Are you special?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    4 years ago

Where do you get 50K/year?

My calculator shows 31.2K/year. Granted it's old and works on solar power but it got me through 2 important exams

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.4.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.4    4 years ago
here do you get 50K/year?

Add the normal  state benefits to the 600 from the feds.  '

I will give you a simple example. A person making 30,000 a year working in Wisconsin will make the equivalent of over $50,000 a year on unemployment. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.4.1    4 years ago

What state bennies?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.4.3  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.4.2    4 years ago

This should answer your question. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.4.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.4.1    4 years ago

That's in Wisconsin. And what are they reaping besides the unemployment? I really do need a source, Sean

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.4.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.4.3    4 years ago

That didn't tell me anything like where the extra 20K is coming from

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.4.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.4.4    4 years ago

You need a source to tell you states pay unemployment benefits?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.4.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.4.6    4 years ago

They don't all pay the same do they?

I've only ever collected unemployment once in my life and it was a very long time ago. I remember getting a few dollars from the state every week and that's it. No food stamps, no free medicare, no help with housing, etc....

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

The PPP program only boosted employment by 3.25% and cost $224,000 per job saved. Now that the numbers are coming out we see how bad this rushed legislation was. 

“Economists at MIT found that each job saved nationwide cost about $224,000. Overall, the PPP loan program boosted employment by about 3.25%“

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

Waiting tables was one of the hardest jobs I ever did. For the most part, people are generous tippers and aren;t demanding....but for every 10 good customers there's one that's a PITA.

Teddy ought to try waiting tables for a living, and not some posh restaurant. More like a Denny's or an IHOP

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    4 years ago

teabag ted couldn't turn his wife over once, let alone a station of tables...

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
5  Account Deleted    4 years ago

Something to consider. Is unemployment based on hourly wage paid or on actual  realized income including tips?

If it is based on only hourly income, it's possible that some servers might be paid a little as $2.13 an hour - allowed by Federal Law - as long as tips bring their earnings up to the minimum wage.

If restaurants open at - what 25% or 50% capacity - the restaurants will have to make up the tip lose to the workers to bring them up to minimum wage. That probably takes care of the profit margin.

Interesting problem.

Force people to go back to work and the business that they work for will go out of business. Pay them to stay home and the business they work for will go out of business.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Account Deleted @5    4 years ago

Back when Moses was a boy and I was waiting tables, I got fired for refusing to go out with the assistant manager. I applied for unemployment and was granted it because I was not at fault. So anyway...I think I got the equivalent of right around 150 bucks every 2 weeks. It was based on my assumed salary of $3.35 an hour which was minimum wage at the time. As a waitress I actually earned a little more than that but that was because of tips. Still, it came in handy until I was hired back.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
5.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Account Deleted @5    4 years ago

Yes you see how the authoritarian state is destroying their lives. They are killing the restaurant sector with their heavy hand. Their solution is worse than the problem. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

As in dining has pretty much been eliminated for now, just where does Cruz think the waitresses would work even if they want to?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    4 years ago

No offence Senator Cruz, but speaking of grifters---------------------gee whillikkers.