╌>

Jerry Falwell Jr. On 'Indefinite Leave' From Liberty University : NPR

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sandy-2021492  •  4 years ago  •  38 comments

By:   NPR. org

Jerry Falwell Jr. On 'Indefinite Leave' From Liberty University : NPR
Days after Falwell receives criticism for posting a photo online that showed him with his pants unzipped alongside a woman who is not his wife, Liberty University says he is stepping aside.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Flipboard
  • Email

August 7, 20206:06 PM ET

Sarah McCammon

Twitter Enlarge this image

Jerry Falwell Jr. delivers a speech during the 2016 Republican National Convention in Cleveland. Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images hide caption

toggle caption Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Jerry Falwell Jr. delivers a speech during the 2016 Republican National Convention in Cleveland.

Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Jerry Falwell Jr., a prominent evangelical ally of President Trump's, is taking "an indefinite leave of absence" from his positions as the president and chancellor of Liberty University in Virginia.

The move comes days after Falwell received criticism for posting a photo to social media that showed him with his pants unzipped alongside a woman who is not his wife.

In a brief statement, Liberty University said members of its board of trustees had met Friday and asked Falwell to step down from his positions "effective immediately," and that Falwell had agreed. Falwell did not immediately respond to requests for comment from NPR.

Falwell faced criticism this week from both conservative and liberal commentators after posting the controversial photo to his Instagram account. Meghan McCain, daughter of the late Republican Sen. John McCain, tweeted, "How is this Jerry Falwell Jr. photo even real? Also if you're running the largest Christian university in America maybe don't put photos of yourself on social media with your pants undone on a yacht - with random women in bad wigs. So gross, so hypocritical."

Falwell told the Lynchburg, Va., radio station WLNI on Wednesday that the photo, which was later removed, was taken in "just in good fun" during a costume party on vacation. He said the woman in the photo was his wife's assistant.

"It was weird," Falwell told the interviewer. "She's pregnant, so she couldn't get her pants zipped. I had on a pair of jeans I hadn't worn in a long time, so I couldn't get mine zipped either. So I just put my belly out like hers."

Politics

At Liberty, Trump Calls Critics 'Pathetic,' Praises Putting 'Faith Into Action'

Falwell said the woman is a "sweetheart" and expressed regret about embarrassing her. He said he'd "apologized to everybody" and promised to "try to be a good boy" from now on.

Falwell is the son of the late Rev. Jerry Falwell, who founded the evangelical Christian Liberty University and the conservative Moral Majority movement that rose to prominence in the Reagan era.

Falwell Jr. was among the first prominent evangelicals to endorse Donald Trump during his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016.

• white eva
  • Jerry Falwell
  • liberty university
  • trump
  • evangelicals
  • Donald Trump
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Flipboard
  • Email

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1  seeder  sandy-2021492    4 years ago
Jerry Falwell Jr., a prominent evangelical ally of President Trump's, is taking "an indefinite leave of absence" from his positions as the president and chancellor of Liberty University in Virginia. The move comes days after Falwell received criticism for posting a photo to social media that showed him with his pants unzipped alongside a woman who is not his wife.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1    4 years ago

Bad enough to see him with his pants unzipped and a drink in his hand, which of course, it merely a Pepsi....ahem....but, he has his arm around an obviously young girl, with his right hand very familiarly near her right boob, and with her pants unzipped as well.

Yeah.....I'm sure his God is very proud of how Mr Falwell Jr. is so proudly displaying his undying love and faith in Him. 

I kew a few Preachers like that....one even tried to get me to run away and elope with him when I was only 14 y/o, and he was old enough to be my Grandfather. 

Gotta love them CINOs.

SMH

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1    4 years ago

I heard that she is his wife and pregnant.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1.2  pat wilson  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1    4 years ago

I saw an article where he said the drink was Black Water.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.3  seeder  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.1    4 years ago

He said she's his wife's assistant, and is pregnant.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.4  seeder  sandy-2021492  replied to  pat wilson @1.1.2    4 years ago

Yeah, that was his comment on the pic when he posted it.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.1    4 years ago
I heard that she is his wife and pregnant

The article I read said that part of the problem, besides his unzipped pants, was that the girl is not his wife. So it does sort of look like adultery on his part as well.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.6  Raven Wing  replied to  pat wilson @1.1.2    4 years ago
I saw an article where he said the drink was Black Water.

Could be, but.....from the looks of the picture, it looks like a party mood with a bit of a nip. Looking at the picture, and how things stand at that point, Black Water just does not fit the scenario.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.7  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.3    4 years ago

Oh ok.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.8  seeder  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.7    4 years ago

His excuse, I should say.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1    4 years ago

... another bible thumping hypocrite.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.2.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @1.2    4 years ago
... another bible thumping hypocrite.

There are way too many t's in that post.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.2.1    4 years ago

LOL

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Trump wants everyone to know he wishes Jerry Falwell Jr. well. 

img.jpg?width=1200&coordinates=0%2C543%2C0%2C543&height=600

Donald_Trump_delivers_remarks_at_the_Liberty_University.jpg

Jerry%20Falwell%20Jr%20and%20Trump.JPG

like.png?skin=ntNewsTalkers3&v=1595883333   0  

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 years ago

OMG,  I can't unsee the photos. Bleach more bleach, please.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @2.1    4 years ago

Isnt Liberty University where Trump gave his famous "two corinthians" speech ? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    4 years ago
Isnt Liberty University where Trump gave his famous "two corinthians" speech ? 

Indeed it is.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3  Ed-NavDoc    4 years ago

Never cared for Jerry Falwell Sr or Jr. Junior is a chip off the old block so to speak. Megachurches pastors are some of the biggest money grubbing  scumbags around! More than willing to tell others how they should run their lives in the service of God while they are living it up on jets and yachts paid for by their congregations tax free donations! Makes me sick!

Professor Guide
4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

Here's a treat:

I don't have a problem with drunk as a skunk.  I have a problem with a sleaze bag like this hiding his true character behind a cross.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4    4 years ago

"Black water," my ass.

Raw Story (yes, yes, I know) just posted some comments from a Liberty U student pointing out his hypocrisy.  Students would be subject to a fine, "community service", or expulsion for possessing alcohol or being in a state of undress with a member of the opposite sex.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.2  Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4    4 years ago

I believe that NT has a member who will refuse to believe this story even with the photos and audio. 

Professor Guide
4.2.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika @4.2    4 years ago

Anyone who defends this guy, is vicariously defending their own lack of character.  Like I said:  Drunk as a skunk?  Fine.  Stay home and be safe.  Wanna wiggle your pickle in as many jars as possible?  I'm not here to judge.  Like to watch your wife shag the pool boy (oh...and take an as many photos as possible...and then have to hire Michael Cohen to 'make the problem go away'...), that's just dandy.  Live and let live.  But when equally...festive...behavior in others is condemned with a cross and an AMEN!, that's where I have a problem.  

BTW, have you seen the full image in question?  If that gal is wearing 'pants', I'm a real nun.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.2.1    4 years ago
Wanna wiggle your pickle in as many jars as possible?

OMG, now I need a gallon of brain bleach.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.2.1    4 years ago
BTW, have you seen the full image in question?  If that gal is wearing 'pants', I'm a real nun.  

Yes, I have and if those are 'pants' I'm Pope Kavika the First.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.2.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @4.2.2    4 years ago
OMG, now I need a gallon of brain bleac

Just a gallon!???  jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif   jrSmiley_85_smiley_image.gif

Professor Guide
4.2.5  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika @4.2.3    4 years ago
Yes, I have and if those are 'pants' I'm Pope Kavika the First.

Ha!!

How do you say 'pope' in Ojibwe?

Professor Guide
4.2.6  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Raven Wing @4.2.4    4 years ago
Just a gallon!???

You can buy it in bulk at Sam's and save a fortune!

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.2.7  Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.2.5    4 years ago

Probably easier to stick with the English version, but if you insist here ya go. mayaamawi-niigaanizid gichi-mekadewikwanaye

Professor Guide
4.2.8  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika @4.2.7    4 years ago
Probably easier to stick with the English version, but if you insist here ya go. mayaamawi-niigaanizid gichi-mekadewikwanaye

You are sooooooooooo right.  Pope, it is.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5  lady in black    4 years ago

People will forgive this pos faux christian money grubbing sack of shit

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  lady in black @5    4 years ago

Not only will they forgive him, they will continue to send him money like the morons they are.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  lady in black @5    4 years ago

Why don't you tell us what you really think of him? Stop shilly-shallying!

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
6  Account Deleted    4 years ago
He said the woman in the photo was his wife's assistant. "It was weird," Falwell told the interviewer. "She's pregnant, so she couldn't get her pants zipped.I had on a pair of jeans I hadn't worn in a long time, so I couldn't get mine zipped either.

OK that's the story he told the press but is that really the story he told his wife?

Just in your mind - consider how  that scenario would play out with your significant other. 

"You know honey - it's really funny how that happened ..."

I wonder if he remembers the Bible story about the talking ass...

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     4 years ago

As my sainted grandmother would say, ''if bullshit were dollar bills that boy would be independently wealthy''.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

Hmmmm, the air suddenly smells better. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9  Bob Nelson    4 years ago

He's been getting away with this shit for years.

I wonder what happened behind the scenes, for his tame Board to abandon him.

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1  devangelical  replied to  Bob Nelson @9    4 years ago

they probably found out who the father of his wife's assistant expected child was

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  devangelical @9.1    4 years ago

... and he's Black...