╌>

God loves Trump, hates his behavior

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  14 comments

God loves Trump, hates his behavior
if you don’t hate what Trump does, you’re out of step with the God of the Universe.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

You don’t need to hate Donald Trump to hate what he does. Indeed, if you don’t hate what Trump does, you’re out of step with the God of the Universe.

The literal Word of God is clear on this matter. Read Proverbs 6:16-19, and you can’t possibly avoid thinking about Trump. “These six things the Lord hates, yes, seven are an abomination to Him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and a man who sows discord among brothers.” (RSV)

The Word of God for the People of God. Some of my conservative Christian friends would say, “God said it. I believe it. That settles it.”

The list of behaviors God hates starts with pridefulness, “haughtiness” in many translations. Even supporters can’t rationally or honestly argue the point. If anything, Trump is a pride-filled man. Theologian and Christian writer the Rev. Jack Wellman says, “The Bible has a lot to say about pride, and none of it is good.” Pastor Wellman poignantly adds, “What I see in the ways of evil, perverted speech, and arrogance is that they are all centered in pride.”

All of Trump’s worst traits have deep roots in his haughtiness. As a candidate, Trump extolled his pride, denying any need to ask God’s forgiveness for anything. “Why do I have to repent or ask for forgiveness, if I am not making mistakes?”

One who felt the need to occasionally ask for God’s forgiveness might not check all of the other boxes on God’s list.

Two of the seven traits God hates center on lying. Ask right-leaning Forbes Magazine whether Trump is a liar. By their conservative calculation, he told more than 23 lies per day through May of 2020.

He lies about things that don’t matter and things that do, such as coronavirus, children in cages and Russian bounties on U.S. soldiers. He lies in tweets, speeches, rallies and television interviews. He lies to reporters, Congress, the American people and his wife. The Word of God says God hates “a lying tongue” and “a false witness who speak lies.”

Proverbs also says God hates “hands that shed innocent blood.” King David felt God’s wrath for having done so. Trump can’t avoid it. Refugees denied the asylum to which they were entitled, sent to certain death in violent homelands. Kurds betrayed to death after Trump’s secret deal with Turkey’s president. Innocent civilians in Yemen and Afghanistan. Iranian children dying because of Trump’s trumped up sanctions against their government.

The most egregious sin was ridiculing wearing masks while more than 155,000 Americans, including Trump-clan members, unnecessarily suffered and died because of his uncaring mishandling of the coronavirus.

Innocent blood. On his hands. Hated by God.

God also hates “a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that are swift in running to evil.” Consider his refusal to commit to accept the results of the November election, his conspiracy theories about mail-in voting, pardoning felons who protect him, punishing those who tell the truth about or investigate his nefarious activities, the racist dog whistles he blows in the suburbs, secret conversations with Putin, sending shadowy soldiers into American cities, hiding his tax returns. The list of wicked plans fills a bottomless pit. Not even Nixon’s heart harbored so many wicked plans, nor his feet run so swiftly toward evil.

The seventh trait God hates targets those “who sow discord among brethren.” Never has America had a president whose sole purpose was to divide us. Every tweet, rally or policy is designed to sow discord among Americans. Trump uses the sacred “bully pulpit” of the White House like a fifth grade bully uses the school playground.

God loves Donald Trump. But the Bible is clear. God hates his behavior. Don’t take my word, read God’s word. Then, ask yourself, “If God hates it, shouldn’t those who believe in God feel the same?”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

It's refreshing to see a pastor with the proper perspective on this. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    4 years ago

This should be the attitude of all Christians.

God loves us all... including the Donald. Loving does not render blind. God sees Donald's behavior, notably the hatred and dishonesty. These are polar opposites of God's message, "Love". God must despise Donald's behavior.

... as should all who aspire to follow Christ.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    4 years ago

Of course.

- What will NT "Christians" say / 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    4 years ago

I've been repeating the same succinct argument:
  - Christ preached love.
  - Trump preaches hate. 
These are incompatible. A person may choose to follow one or the other, but not both.

A follower of Christ cannot be a follower of Trump.
A follower of Trump cannot be a follower of Christ.

Interestingly... No one has contested this argument. It's limpid... to the point of nolo contendere.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
3  Account Deleted    4 years ago
God loves Donald Trump

And a sincere death bed repentance and conversion gets him in the door.

Matthew 20:9-16

“The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. 10 So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11 When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12 ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’

13 “But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? 14 Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15 Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’

16 “So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”

Such things are above my pay grade.

Note, it's call the Kingdom of God, not the Democracy of Heaven.

It's a volunteer Army and we know the rules when we enlist.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Account Deleted @3    4 years ago
And a sincere death bed repentance and conversion gets him in the door.

A true follower of Christ would not begrudge him this. I'm not even a Christian, but if he does truly repent in his heart why shouldn't he go to Heaven?

But I can also the other side of the coin that asks why did he get to sin all those years and then gets absolved in his final minutes and gets to Heaven.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    4 years ago

God is love. She will always welcome everyone.

Of course... a black-souled sinner would be kinda bothered to be in the presence of God... so it might be a while before the sinner forgives themselves enough to enter into that presence...

God sends no one to Hell. We send ourselves.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.1.1    4 years ago

I like your philosophy, Bob

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.2    4 years ago

God is love. (If anything less, He doesn't deserve our respect, or anything...)

If God is love then She cannot condemn... anyone... ever... under any circumstances.

I imagine God as an inimaginably intense light. Unbearable except within the bond of love that She offers us. And infinitely joyful at the same time.

Since we're all imperfect, we'll all need time to adjust to the light, before we can attain the joy. Some of us will need more time than others.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Where the hell are all the Christians?  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @4    4 years ago

Read Proverbs 6:16-19, and you can’t possibly avoid thinking about Trump. “These six things the Lord hates, yes, seven are an abomination to Him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and a man who sows discord among brothers.” (RSV)

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  JohnRussell @4    4 years ago
Where the hell are all the Christians?

They're being circumspect. They're uncomfortable, because they know that my argument in 2.1.1 is correct.

I don't mean the Usual Suspects, of course. They are followers of Trump, not of Christ.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2    4 years ago

Circumspect? Uncomfortable?

I'd say tongue tied

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.1    4 years ago
I'd say tongue tied

Can you imagine the cognitive dissonance for someone who would like to see themselves as Christian?

Lots of people can lie to themselves, but anyone who takes their faith seriously has to "think" about it. Examine it.

The long and narrow path that Christ requires his disciples to follow is "love one another". That's impossible to reconcile with racism, xenophobia, misogyny, ...