╌>

Spam & Tradeoffs

Category:  Other

Via:  petey-coober  •  9 years ago  •  25 comments

Spam & Tradeoffs

The controversy on NT about spam has a simple solution IMO . An author of a seed/article who declares something to be spam may be be accurate OR he may be merely being dictatorial , refusing to allow any dissent from his opinion .
How does one tell the difference ? Here is my solution :

The author needs to start a dialogue with the commenter . He needs to ask a question about the relevance of the comment to the topic under discussion . If the commenter responds with a possible explanation then the comment was not spam . BUT if the commenter does not respond or comes out with more irrelevant material then it is time for consequences to the commenter .

Notice the tradeoff . The commenter can be labeled as a spammer OR the author can be labeled as a DA [dictatorial asshole ] . I'm not sure what official consequence the latter should have . I'm open to suggestions on that ...

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober    9 years ago

One more thing ... I think it is good practice to give your troublesome commenter the courtesy of a warning that he is spamming before requesting deletion of his comments . It is something I have done & will continue to do ... and I think it makes for a fairer result .

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

Good suggestions Petey. That way there is no doubt if the person is spamming or not.

As for the DA part(that could stand for Duck's Ass the hair style of the 50's) I don't have any solution for that, except possibly have him/her put on the rack. Verbal rack that is.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Thanks for your response Kavika . Perhaps the application of descriptive terminology which does not violate the CoC [avoiding the use of the term asshole perhaps ?] might be part of the rack you mentioned . However I suspect putting such comments in the article in question would be considered spam or derailing ... even if richly deserved .

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

Hmmmm, your probably right Petey. We'll have to find another solution for DA's.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Don't we have any creative legal minds on NT to come up with a solution to this dilemma ?

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Proof that 2 wrongs do not make a right ...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    9 years ago

Sure there are creative legal minds. The fee is $300 per hour.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Not even 100.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I've always wondered how one can know if the attorney one has hired is worth his fee before things get DEEP ...

pokermike
Freshman Silent
link   pokermike    9 years ago

Buzz, I've got a creative illegal mind and I only charge $250 per hour.

pokermike
Freshman Silent
link   pokermike    9 years ago

That is their 'community' mentality.

I believe the psychiatric term for this condition is called megalomania .

1. obsession with the exercise of power, especially in the domination of others.
    synonyms: delusions of grandeur, folie de grandeur ,thirst/lust for power; More
    • delusion about one's own power or importance (typically as a symptom of manic or paranoid disorder).

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Can you link to where that threat was posted ? I am not doubting you . I just want to see it for myself ... and maybe respond to it .

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Buzz is being undercut by the black market ...

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

That was to you RW . I strictly adhere to exact indentations ...

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Thanks for pointing that out RW . I hope I can get through to Bob by getting him to read my article . But I guess we'll see ...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Not really, Petey. A creative illegal mind is worth less than a creative legal one.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

If you need legal defense or contract law settled then I have to agree Buzz ...

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P    9 years ago

Oooh, good opportunity to try out your idea.

John, what is the relevance of your post to the discussion?

Can you give us an explanation, or are you just spamming Petey's article?

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I asked a question. He doesn't have to answer it.

Here's one for you John : what do you mean when you say "constantly" ?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    9 years ago

BUT if the commenter does not respond or comes out with more irrelevant material then it is time for consequences to the commenter .

Requesting/demanding additional commentary from one whose comment(s) has been made succinctly and thoroughly (and with backup information), can be a ruse by the one making the request/demand. If the demand is made to simply obfuscate, misdirect or, comes under the guise of wanting to debate that which is no longer debatable, or, when discussion is at an impasse, the demand is likely a trap or a reluctance to concede a point.

By all means, disagree with a point and make counter points; but let's not ask what appear to be "questions," when in fact the "questions" are asked not about what was stated, but a distortion or misrepresentation of what was stated.

It's too convenient to call that with which one doesn't agree "spam."

Debates, dialogues and disagreements often end unresolved; when it's obvious that two members at odds will not reach agreement, rather than push for more or threaten consequences, that's the time to call an "impasse" and for the two to stop addressing one another.

After one has responded if there's nothing more of significance for one to add once the point has been made, badgering for more is bad form. A failure to respond to an unwarranted/needless request is not being "unresponsive," it's being conclusive.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

By all means, disagree with a point and make counter points; but let's not ask what appear to be "questions," when in fact the "questions" are asked not about what was stated, but a distortion or misrepresentation of what was stated.

That is possible but it's not what I do . Although I've seen your accusations that my questions are strictly rhetorical . How does one counter an accusation of rhetorical ?

It's too convenient to call that with which one doesn't agree "spam."

Yes . That's why I try to request clarification . I do that by asking questions . Do you have other ways ?