╌>

Covid-19 virus 'survives on some surfaces for 28 days'

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  baron-creek  •  4 years ago  •  5 comments

By:   BBC

Covid-19 virus 'survives on some surfaces for 28 days'
The virus responsible for Covid-19 can remain infectious on surfaces such as banknotes, phone screens and stainless steel for 28 days, researchers say.

C'mon... make up your minds!

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The findings from Australia's national science agency suggest SARS-Cov-2 can survive for far longer on surfaces than previously thought.

The virus is most commonly transmitted when people cough, sneeze or talk.

But experts say it can also be spread by particles in the air, as well as on surfaces such as metal and plastic.

Previous laboratory studies have found that SARS-Cov-2 can survive for two to three days on bank notes and glass, and up to six days on plastic and stainless steel, although results vary.

But the latest research from Australian agency CSIRO found the virus was "extremely robust," surviving for 28 days on smooth surfaces such as glass found on mobile phone screens and both plastic and paper banknotes, when kept at 20C (68F), which is about room temperature.

In comparison, the flu virus can survive in the same circumstances for 17 days.

The experiments were carried out in the dark, as UV light has already been shown to kill the virus.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  Baron Creek    4 years ago

As if we needed an excuse to stop dusting!

The experiments were carried out in the dark

Not really sure what to make of that. /s

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Baron Creek @1    4 years ago
The experiments were carried out in the dark, as UV light has already been shown to kill the virus.

Louis Brandeis did say "sunlight is the best disinfectant." I guess he was more right than he knew.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    4 years ago

So keep washing your hands, people.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @2    4 years ago

with sunshine, lol.

CB
Professor Principal
3  CB    4 years ago

I hear you, Baron! Make up their minds. I have learned so much about cleanliness than I already thought I knew! And yet there is more. . . .!

"Wipe, wipe, clean, clean, oh what a 'relief' it is!"