╌>

Getting to the polls can be hard in Navajo Nation. This woman is leading voters on horseback.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  12 comments

By:   Sydney Page

Getting to the polls can be hard in Navajo Nation. This woman is leading voters on horseback.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Allie Young, 30, leading a group of Navajo voters on horseback to an Arizona polling station as part of her “Ride to the Polls” initiative to encourage Native youth to vote. (Talia Mayden for HUMAN)

By Sydney Page November 2, 2020 at 6:00 a.m. EST

Allie Young saddled up, slid her feet into stirrups and started on a two-hour trail through her homeland of Navajo Nation, with a group of eager early voters in tow. They were heading to the polls on horseback.

There are only a few available polling stations for Navajo voters, many of whom have limited access to transportation. Frustrated by the barriers that discourage voting among Indigenous people, Young, 30, hatched a plan.

She started “Ride to the Polls” in early October, hoping to empower Native American youth to vote in the 2020 election while connecting with their cultural heritage. She leads groups on horseback along a 10-mile route from Church Rock in Navajo County to the polling stations in Kayenta, Ariz.

The Navajo Nation spans 27,000 square miles, and occupies portions of Arizona, New Mexico and Utah. Horseback riding is common in the community. Young led a group of 15 Navajo voters on horseback on Oct. 20, most of whom range in age from 18 to 30. When they arrived at the polling station, they were met by a crowd of Native American people who were there to cast their ballots, too, after hearing about Ride to the Polls through social media and word of mouth.

Before saddling up, Young’s mother carefully tied a traditional Diné sash around her waist and outfitted her in customary beaded jewelry.

“I am doing this to honor our ancestors who fought for our right to vote, so I wanted to wear traditional clothes,” Young said.

Allie Young started a nonprofit in March called Protect the Sacred, with the goal of supporting Native communities that are disproportionately affected during the pandemic. (Talia Mayden for HUMAN)

Native American communities historically have faced barriers and inconveniences in the voting process that discourage them from voting. They were not given voting rights in every U.S. state until 1962, and have had problems since, including in the 2018 midterm elections, when many tribal ID cards weredeemed invalid.

Today, poor access to voter registration offices and polling stations, limited transportation and excessive mail delays, among other logistical hurdles, makes voting in the U.S. election burdensome for many in tribal communities. Complicating matters, some in the community live miles from their closest neighbor and do not have a mailbox or street address.

But Native Americans potentially have the political force to shift the outcome of the election, particularly in Arizona. There are67,000 eligible Navajo votersin the swing state, and their vote could prove pivotal in the polls.

OJ Semans, co-executive director of Four Directions, a nonpartisan organization centered on Native American voting rights, echoed the challenges Indigenous people face when they wish to vote.

“In terms of how difficult it is to access voting places, on a scale of one to ten, I would say it’s a nine,” Semans said. “Our numbers would skyrocket if we had the equal opportunity to vote.”

“The younger generation is stepping up,” he said, commending Young’s activism in the Navajo community. “They are no longer going to stand idly by.”

Young said Ride to the Polls was originally her father’s idea.

“He had a vision of us riding our horses to protect our people,” Young said. She quickly realized it was the perfect way to get the Navajo community excited about voting.

Her father, Frank, 58, wasn’t initially feeling encouraged to vote in the election, but the prospect of riding on horseback to the polls energized him.

“It’s given me strength, and I hope it gives us strength as a nation,” said Frank Young, who was born on the reservation and has always lived there.

384 Frank Young, 58, inspired his daughter to create Ride to the Polls. He was feeling discouraged about the election and had the idea to connect with his Native culture while heading to the polls. (Talia Mayden for HUMAN)

He said he was humbled to lead the trail ride alongside his daughter.

Although Allie Young leads relatively small groups to voting stations, the Ride to the Polls concept has left a mark on Native Americans across the country, she said, adding that she has received countless messages from other members of tribal communities who were inspired by her.

“They tell me that after seeingthe video, they went out and voted,” Young said. “It makes me feel proud that people are inspired by our culture and what we continuously fight for.”

384 When riders arrived at the polling station in Kayenta, Ariz., a crowd of other voters met them there to cheer them on and cast their ballots, too. (Talia Mayden for HUMAN)

She said traveling by horseback is a way to pay tribute to her ancestors, adding that horses are a spiritual and sacred animal in Diné (Navajo) culture.

“It’s also a reminder of what we’re fighting for: to protect not only our culture but our sacred land and Mother Earth,” she said. She founded Protect the Sacred in March, with the initial goal of supporting Native communities that are disproportionately affected by the coronavirus pandemic. Young also works at Harness, an L.A.-based nonprofit group that highlights historically marginalized communities.

“We started by focusing on covid relief, but we’ve now shifted to the most important election of our lifetime,” Young said. “We can’t sit this one out.”

According toa recent reportby the Native American Rights Fund, only 66 percent of the Native American population is registered to vote across the country, leaving more than a million eligible voters unregistered.

“A lot of young Native people aren’t motivated to vote,” Young said. “They question why we should participate in a colonial system that has never worked for us.”

She said they are also “feeling frustrated with the divisiveness across the country.”

With voting challenges exacerbated by the pandemic — and the general lack of motivation to vote expressed by Native youth — Young feared her peers would not care to cast their ballots in this critical election.

She mobilized, joining forces with Michelle Obama’sWhen We All VoteandMarch On, to speak directly to her Native community and encourage people to vote.

Talia Mayden ventured from New Mexico to photograph the ride. It was her first time in Navajo Nation, and she described the landscape as “unlike anything I had ever seen.”

“It feels pretty rare in this election cycle that we ever get a moment that makes you feel proud to be American, and I felt proud,” said Mayden, 26. “I felt so much awe, which is something I haven’t felt in a long time.”

For Young, “It was a very spiritual experience,” she said. “Looking out and seeing miles and miles of untouched earth reminded me of what I was fighting for.”

Young has planned a third trail ride for Election Day, and she expects the rider turnout to be the biggest yet.

384 Although Young takes relatively small groups on the trail rides, she said Ride to the Polls has inspired other tribal communities to vote in the election while embracing their Native culture. (Talia Mayden for HUMAN)

“The voting force is strong is Indian country because our voices are powerful,” she said. “They deserve to be heard.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1  Bob Nelson    4 years ago

Anything that works. 

Everything that works! 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     4 years ago

Love it, the Dine' (Navajo) will do what it takes.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @2    4 years ago

another traditional NA solution to a modern problem.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  devangelical @2.1    4 years ago
another traditional NA solution to a modern problem.

Yep....Native Americans of all Tribes have endured a lot more over the thousands of years they have existed, some far more difficult than this. They are not going to let an AH like Trump and his lemmings, nor a pandemic, prevent them from such an important task.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

And it's a good excuse for a ride!

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    4 years ago

So a tribal ID was not an acceptable form of ID.

Unbelievable.  Some people will fight tooth and nail to make it harder to vote instead of easier and more inclusive.

Congrats to this young woman. Some people may feel safer going along with a couple of other people.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  Kavika   replied to  Ender @4    4 years ago

Tribal ID was accepted in MN for decades. In the 2016 election, the republicans tried to say it couldn't be used. They lost in court.

A federally-recognized,tribal-issued IDcard is also a valid form ofgovernment-issuedphoto identification in many places, though some places may be unaware of this.

The TSA. DHLS, FBI, and numerous government agencies recognize the tribal ID as a valid form of identification.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

Good for them.  When the going gets tough, the tough get going.  On horseback across a desert, if they have to.

CB
Professor Principal
6  CB    4 years ago

A good and especially timely feel-good story!  I humbly submit that I am proud as punch! Good on Allie Young and all the 'riders.' Welcome! C'mon in and let your good be heard!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

I'm really glad you all enjoyed it. I thought it was a real feel good story! 

CB
Professor Principal
7.1  CB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7    4 years ago

I just love it all to pieces!!! Every legal vote and adjoining voters is warmly welcome in my book! I am overjoyed, actually!

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
8  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

This is how you do it!

Thanks Ma Cherie Perrie.  It's a perfect distraction for my rather heinous case of election eve freak-out.