╌>

Biden plans to assert control if he's declared president-elect - Axios

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  4 years ago  •  46 comments

By:   Mike Allen,Margaret Talev (Axios)

Biden plans to assert control if he's declared president-elect - Axios
He'll begin forming his government, and won't yield to doubts President Trump might try to sow.

With leads in Nevada, Arizona, Maine, Michigan and Wisconsin Joe Biden expects to be declared the winner within days if not hours. The world watches!

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Mike Allen, Margaret Talev

Photo: Drew Angerer/Getty Images

If news organizations declare Joe Biden the mathematical president-elect, he plans to address the nation as its new leader, even if President Trump continues to fight in court, advisers tell Axios.

Why it matters: Biden advisers learned the lesson of 2000, when Al Gore hung back while George W. Bush declared victory in that contested election, putting the Democrat on the defensive while Bush acted like the winner.

So if Biden is declared the winner, he'll begin forming his government and looking presidential — and won't yield to doubts Trump might try to sow.

• Biden's schedule for Tuesday includes a clue to this posture: He "will address the nation on Election Night in Wilmington, Delaware."

Biden campaign manager Jen O'Malley Dillon told reporters Monday that even if all the votes aren't counted tonight, the campaign should have "a very good sense of where we're headed":

• "We're not really concerned about what Donald Trump says. ... We're going to use our data, our understanding of where this is headed, and make sure that the vice president is addressing the American people."

To show momentum, Biden may begin transition announcements quickly, starting with senior staff appointments.

• That way, core aides won't have to worry about their own jobs, but will immediately be able to get to work.

Biden plans to adopt what one confidant called "a healing tone," and begin talking about the path forward in battling the coronavirus.

• Look for Biden to embrace science, and talk up the role of Dr. Anthony Fauci, after Trump threatened Sunday to try to fire the trusted official.

From there, the transition would move with unprecedented speed:

• Biden had eight years in the White House, and he's surrounded by aides with decades of government experience.
  • So the transition has made the most thorough agency-by-agency preparations in history, including offices no one's thinking about.

Biden has blueprints for staffing every single agency, and has extensive plans for executive orders, including ones to undo Trump actions.

• Look for Biden to send all-business signals: He won't pack the courts, and is unlikely to push for repeal of the Senate's filibuster rule and its 60-vote requirement anytime soon.
  • Instead, look for Biden to push to pass as much as possible under the banner of budget reconciliation, which requires just a simple majority.

Go deeper: A safe, sane way to navigate election night — and beyond

Subscribe to Axios AM/PM for a daily rundown of what's new and why it matters, directly from Mike Allen. Enter your email address Please enter a valid email. Please enter a valid email. Server error. Please try a different email. SubscribeSubscribed! Look for Axios AM and PM in your inbox tomorrow or read the latest Axios AM now. Subscribe to Axios AM/PM for a daily rundown of what's new and why it matters, directly from Mike Allen. Enter your email address Please enter a valid email. Please enter a valid email. Server error. Please try a different email. SubscribeSubscribed! Look for Axios AM and PM in your inbox tomorrow or read the latest Axios AM now.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

Joe has the "Joementum!"

JBB
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

Preparations are underway for Biden's administration!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1  Gordy327  replied to  JBB @2    4 years ago

It can't be any worse than the current administration,  right?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @2    4 years ago

How many Senate seats did Democrats pick up? Did the Democrats pick up House seats?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2    4 years ago
How many Senate seats did Democrats pick up? Did the Democrats pick up House seats?

Problems staying on topic???

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.1    4 years ago

thanks for not answering questions posed to another.

I can see how elections OTHER than that of President are important and have an effect on Presidencies, even if others can not

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.2    4 years ago
I can see how elections OTHER than that of President are important and have an effect on Presidencies

So can I, but they're not part of this discussion.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.3    4 years ago

flag it or ignore it then.

I dont care which.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.4    4 years ago

flag it or ignore it then.

I dont care which.

But I'm having so much fun watching you squirm to evade the question.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.5    4 years ago

lol

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.5    4 years ago

then why are you complaining if its all fun and games for you?

that is illogical

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.8  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.7    4 years ago
then why are you complaining if its all fun and games for you?

Makes you squirm more.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.8    4 years ago

Nice that you have a vivid imagination!

Keep on dreaming!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

I see Joe took Virginia. He was behind when I fell asleep last night. PA is starting to disappoint me

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    4 years ago

He took WI also.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1    4 years ago

Awesome! Did they call it already?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.1    4 years ago

I am not sure.  I heard it on my local am news.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    4 years ago
PA is starting to disappoint me

well MA, PA disappointed you on a regular basis, but thats' was the attraction

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.2    4 years ago

It wasn't always so bad

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.1    4 years ago

I could not believe the early vote counts.

Erie, Bucks, Delaware, Chester, aAllegheny  all for Trump?

But the mail in ballots flipped Allegheny, Delaware and Bucks so far with much more to come.

looks like a Biden win.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @3.2.2    4 years ago

Erie I can see...but Delaware, Chester and Bucks?? Those must be some serious red meat suburbs. Allegheny doesn't surprise me because Pittsburgh pretty much takes up all of Allegheny County

JBB
Professor Principal
5  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

Trump is wishing he had not dissed John McCain!

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.1  Gsquared  replied to  JBB @5    4 years ago

McCain was very anti-Putin, so Trump was under orders to condemn him.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Gsquared @5.1    4 years ago

If Trump loses and it is Arizona decides it then Trump really shot himself in the foot there...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.1.1    4 years ago

i don't think McCain has anything to do with it. It's all about demographics.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.3  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.2    4 years ago

You give too much weight to what you think...

You get one vote the same as everyone else.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.1.3    4 years ago

really?

wow, how absolutely fucking enlightening.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6  Mark in Wyoming     4 years ago

Until jan 20th 2021 , IF he wins he will simply be the President Elect with no authority or power  and likely will be treated as such. 

Whats he gonna do start taking those that wont listen to him out behind the gym after school?

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6    4 years ago

Like every President Elect Biden is putting together a transition team as he should be. There is no reason for you to be so impertinent about it...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2  Texan1211  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6    4 years ago

flashback to his old Corn Pop days!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago
"Biden plans to adopt what one confidant called "a healing tone," and begin talking about the path forward in battling the coronavirus."

I doubt that it will be an easy thing for him to do when damn near half the country refuses to do what is necessary to contain it, and anyway, it's too late - steps could have been taken in January, but then Mr. Mismanagement in Chief, as admitted by his own words, ignored and delayed. Even if an effective vaccine eventually is available, there is a huge percentage of Americans whom, it is predicted, will refuse to be vaccinated.

Actually, when I read the first sentence of what I quoted above, I thought it was going to continue with "the path forward in battling" the unbelievable polarization of opposing political loyalties and the great divide it has caused in the USA, enough to cause a civil war if it were geographically separated instead of neighbour vs. neighbour. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8  Tessylo    4 years ago

"Even if an effective vaccine eventually is available, there is a huge percentage of Americans whom, it is predicted, will refuse to be vaccinated."

I know of this one guy, works in Radiology, in the hospital where I work, who said he wouldn't be getting a vaccine when it became available.  This is someone who I thought was a smart guy, I don't think that any longer.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @8    4 years ago

To be fair, some may have a distrust of a vaccine that just came on the market. I know some people want to wait to get it to see if their neighbors are going to grow another eye or simply drop dead. However, where I work, I doubt I will have choice. 

But ya know...I really could use a third eye. The two I have don't seem to be working very well these days.