╌>

Protesters in Portland target a city commissioner's home, set fire to city hall

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  4 years ago  •  16 comments

By:   MSN

Police are still looking for the suspect who lit city hall on fire.

Yet more "peaceful" protests!!

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Protests in Portland once again turned violent Thursday night as protesters targeted a city commissioner's home and then set fire to the Portland City Hall, according to the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office.

© Kathryn Elsesser/AFP via Getty Images TOPSHOT - Oregon State Troopers block a street as they confront protesters in Portland, Oregon on November 4, 2020, during a demonstration called by the "Black Lives Matter" movement, a day after the US Presidential Election.

A group of around 60 people gathered at a North Portland park Thursday night and then left the area around 8:45 p.m. local time, marching toward the home of Portland City Commissioner Dan Ryan.

Once there, authorities said protesters broke a window, threw burning flares and paint-filled balloons at the home and broke potted plants. Police then moved to disperse the crowd.

MORE: Sporadic protests erupt as anxiety grows over presidential vote count

"The Portland Police Bureau and Portland Fire & Rescue are actively investigating this alarming criminal activity that put an entire neighborhood at risk," the sheriff's office said in a statement. "This is the fourth night in the past week Commissioner Ryan has had agitators cause both vandalism and disruption to his home and neighborhood."

After dispersing the crowd, one vehicle connected to the demonstration fled from police, authorities said. That individual, Bryan Ortega-Schwartz, 36, was later apprehended and charged with attempt to elude in a vehicle and reckless driving. Police also made an additional arrest after protesters were blocking city streets.

© Kathryn Elsesser/AFP via Getty Images TOPSHOT - Oregon State Troopers block a street as they confront protesters in Portland, Oregon on November 4, 2020, during a demonstration called by the "Black Lives Matter" movement, a day after the US Presidential Election.

It was at 10 p.m. when the sheriff's office said Portland Fire and Rescue got a call that city hall was on fire. It is believed a burning object was thrown or placed at the door, which caused the fire. On-site security was able to extinguish the blaze before it could spread, authorities said.

MORE: Cities nationwide bracing for potential violence on Election Day that's peaceful -- so far

A fire investigator is acting working the case and police are still looking for the suspect who lit the building on fire.

In total, three people were arrested Thursday night in relation to the violent protests.

If anyone has information, photos or videos of any criminal activity related to these events, they are asked to contact the Portland Police Bureau at (503) 823-4357.

Continue ReadingShow full articles without "Continue Reading" button for {0} hours. Microsoft may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through recommended links in this article.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    4 years ago

Trump and Trump supporters are off topic.

Trump and Trump supporters are off topic.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Texan1211    4 years ago

Do any of those folks have lives outside of protesting day after day?

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Texan1211 @2    4 years ago

Short answer... no.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @2    4 years ago

Bout as much as anyone who shows up to listen to Trump ramble about nothing. The protesters and people who attend rallies clearly don't have much going for them.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.2    4 years ago
Bout as much as anyone who shows up to listen to Trump ramble about nothing. The protesters and people who attend rallies clearly don't have much going for them.

I refer you to post #1

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3  Sunshine    4 years ago

I see Biden came out of his hole yesterday to tell his base to be calm, little effect it had.  I thought he was the great uniter.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
3.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Sunshine @3    4 years ago

Sure, and I'm the Virgin Mary. ;)

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    4 years ago
during a demonstration called by the "Black Lives Matter" movement

What are they protesting? Isn't their choice for president winning? Seems like a weird time to be angry.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 years ago

I am equally confused. Honestly it almost seems like, at this point, they are just doing because it is something to do, I am not even sure what they are protesting at this point. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.2  Ronin2  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 years ago

They are protesting that the changes they are demanding are not happening fast enough. Only the Democrats think they can reign in their Brown Shirts now that they have been set loose, without any consequences for their actions.

Biden is nothing more than a useful idiot. If he takes office we are trading one serial sex offending, criminal, hypocrite, that will sell us out to the highest bidder, for another. Instead of Russia, Russia, Russia. It will be deafening silence from the media about China, Iran, and our European allies in NATO. The tail will be wagging the US dog again; just like the rest of the world likes it.

I only hope Biden isn't as stupid as he sounds about Syria. Putin doesn't give a rat's ass about his people or his military. Biden decides to remove Assad and head into Syria with full military force- we may all find out how much Putin doesn't care about our lives as well.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
4.3  JaneDoe  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 years ago
What are they protesting?

The commissioner voted against an 18 million dollar budget cut to the police and it didn’t go over well with the peaceful protesters.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.3.1  Ronin2  replied to  JaneDoe @4.3    4 years ago

So they go out and prove why they need a more militarized police force by trying to burn shit down. They are dumb as the day is long. More crime means more police; and stricter enforcement of the law. 

I am sure they changed the commissioner's mind by trying to burn down and vandalize his home. 

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
4.3.2  JaneDoe  replied to  Ronin2 @4.3.1    4 years ago

What I found a bit surprising is that the mayor was re-elected. It would seem the people that live there like what’s going on. SMH

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.3.3  arkpdx  replied to  JaneDoe @4.3.2    4 years ago

His many opposition candidate was actually worse than he is. She came out as supporting antifa going as far as saying she was antifa. 

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
4.3.4  JaneDoe  replied to  arkpdx @4.3.3    4 years ago

Damn, I didn’t hear that. It was a razor thin victory for him, so the people in Portland must really enjoy the nightly fireworks and violence. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5  Thrawn 31    4 years ago
Protesters In Portland Target A City Commissioner's Home, Set Fire To City Hall

Seriously you all, cut the shit.