╌>

United States Marine Corps birthday

Category:  News & Politics

By:  1stwarrior  •  4 years ago  •  24 comments

United States Marine Corps birthday

The  United States Marine Corps Birthday  is celebrated every year on 10 November with a traditional  ball  and cake-cutting ceremony. On that day in 1775, the  Continental Marines  were established.

The official birthday of the   United States Marine Corps   is on 10 November 1775. That was the day when the   Second Continental Congress   established the   Continental Marines   with the following decree:

That two battalions of Marines be raised consisting of one Colonel, two lieutenant-colonels, two majors and other officers, as usual in other regiments; that they consist of an equal number of privates as with other battalions, that particular care be taken that no persons be appointed to offices, or enlisted into said battalions, but such as are good seamen, or so acquainted with maritime affairs as to be able to serve for and during the present war with Great Britain and the Colonies; unless dismissed by Congress; that they be distinguished by the names of the First and Second Battalions of Marines.

Tun Tavern , in   Philadelphia, Pennsylvania , is regarded as the birthplace of the Corps as the location of the first Marines to enlist under   Commandant   Samuel Nicholas ,   though it is disputed if a recruiting drive may have occurred earlier at Nicholas's family tavern, the Conestoga Waggon [ sic ].   When the   Revolutionary War   ended in 1783, the   Continental Navy   was disestablished, and with it, the   Continental Marines . The Corps was re-established on 11 July 1798, when the   act for establishing and organizing a Marine Corps   was signed by President   John Adams .

Prior to 1921, Marines celebrated the recreation of the Corps on 11 July with little pomp or pageantry.   On 21 October 1921, Major   Edwin North McClellan , in charge of the Corps's fledgling   historical section , sent a memorandum to Commandant   John A. Lejeune , suggesting the Marines’ original birthday of 10 November be declared a Marine Corps holiday to be celebrated throughout the Corps. Lejeune so ordered in Marine Corps Order 47:

MARINE CORPS ORDERS
No. 47 (Series 1921)
HEADQUARTERS U.S. MARINE CORPS
Washington, November 1, 1921

759. The following will be read to the command on the 10th of November, 1921, and hereafter on the 10th of November of every year. Should the order not be received by the 10th of November, 1921, it will be read upon receipt.

1. On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution of Continental Congress. Since that date many thousand men have borne the name "Marine". In memory of them it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the birthday of our corps by calling to mind the glories of its   long and illustrious history .
  2. The record of our corps is one which will bear comparison with that of the most famous military organizations in the world's history. During 90 of the 146 years of its existence the Marine Corps has been in action against the Nation's foes. From the   Battle of Trenton   to the   Argonne , Marines have won foremost honors in war, and in the long eras of tranquility at home, generation after generation of Marines have grown gray in war in both hemispheres and in every corner of the   seven seas , that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.
  3. In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our corps, Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term "Marine" has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.
  4. This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the corps. With it we have also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our Nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps.

JOHN A. LEJEUNE,
Major General Commandant

75705—21

The first formal ball was celebrated in 1925, though no records exist that indicate the proceedings of that event.   Birthday celebrations would take varied forms, most included dances, though some accounts include mock battles, musical performances, pageants, and sporting events.

The celebrations were formalized and standardized by Commandant   Lemuel C. Shepherd, Jr.   in 1952, outlining the cake cutting ceremony, which would enter the Marine Drill Manual in 1956. By tradition, the first slice of cake is given to the oldest Marine present, who in turn hands it off to the youngest Marine present, symbolizing the old and experienced Marines passing their knowledge to the new generation of Marines. The celebration also includes a reading of Marine Corps Order 47, republished every year, as well as a message from the current Commandant, and often includes a banquet and dancing if possible. In many cases, the birthday celebration will also include a   pageant   of current and historical   Marine Corps uniforms , as a reminder of the history of the Corps.   Another modern tradition includes a   unit run   on the 10th.   Marines are reputed to celebrate the birthday, regardless of where they may be in the world, even in austere environments or combat.

In a more somber tradition,   Samuel Nicholas 's grave in the   Arch Street Friends Meeting   graveyard in Philadelphia is marked with a wreath at dawn by a group of Marines annually on 10 November to celebrate his role in the founding of the Corps.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1  Sparty On    4 years ago

Happy birthday devil dog.

Oorah!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2  author  1stwarrior    4 years ago

Was active duty Marine from '64 - '68.  Served two tours in 'Nam.  Grew up, a lot, during those four years.  Entered boot camp at 5'8" and 140 lbs - graduated at 5'9" and 182 lbs - great growth spurt.

Kinda pissed my Dad off - career Army for 23 years, retired as Col.  I was released from Active Duty as an E-5.  He said he could have helped my "career" in the Marines, but I wanted to grow up on my own - and I did - and he was proud.

Semper Fi Marines - Oooh Raahhhh!!!!!

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
3  Duck Hawk    4 years ago

To all my brothers and sisters, Semper Fi

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4  author  1stwarrior    4 years ago

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1  Sparty On  replied to  1stwarrior @4    4 years ago

Lol .... when someone asks us: were you born in a bar?" 

We can honestly answer yes ..... jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.1.1  author  1stwarrior  replied to  Sparty On @4.1    4 years ago

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5  Ed-NavDoc    4 years ago

To all my brother and sister Marines past and present, this retired Navy FMF Corpsman says Semper Fi and Happy Birthday!

HM1/FMF USN/RET  1973 - 1993

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.1  author  1stwarrior  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5    4 years ago

Semper Fi Doc - and thanks for your service and life saving challenges that were met.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     4 years ago

Semper Fi

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
6.1  author  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @6    4 years ago

A true warrior.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
7  Sunshine    4 years ago

The few and the proud, thank you.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
7.1  author  1stwarrior  replied to  Sunshine @7    4 years ago

Ooo Rahhh.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

Happy Birthday to our Best!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
8.1  author  1stwarrior  replied to  Vic Eldred @8    4 years ago

If you can watch this - I think it's kinda cool :-)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  1stwarrior @8.1    4 years ago

Thank her for sharing.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
9  FLYNAVY1    4 years ago

Happy Birthday to all my grunt brothers and sisters....  Past, present, and future.

AV-A, and SERE school wouldn't have been the same without you!

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
10  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

Happy B Day and Semper Fi my fellow marines. 

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
11  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    4 years ago

Happy Birthday Marine Corps and thank you to all who've served! 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
12  Sunshine    4 years ago

This is the only pic we have of my uncle in uniform.  He did two tours in Vietnam too.   Looks very handsome there.  He past away a few months ago.

I was wondering if it is possible to get one from the government archives that would be a better pic.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
12.1  author  1stwarrior  replied to  Sunshine @12    4 years ago

Wouldn't hurt trying.  I've requested info on Dad from them and it was sparse, to say the least.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
13  MrFrost    4 years ago

Happy Birthday to my fellow Marines and Happy Veterans day as well.

A much younger me..

And one of me at the Marine Corps 214th Ball. 

original

The patch on my shirt is the 1st Recon patch. I spent a year with that unit. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
13.1  author  1stwarrior  replied to  MrFrost @13    4 years ago

Semper Fi Frosty.

BTW - gotten a new kitty yet?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
13.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  1stwarrior @13.1    4 years ago

Two. Adopted twins.. I don't mind a little chaos in my life but damn... They have calmed down now at least. Good cats. 

And Semper Fi to you too Brother. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
13.1.2  author  1stwarrior  replied to  MrFrost @13.1.1    4 years ago

Know what you mean - added two to our brood of, now, nine - no more I say - no more.

'Course, the wife will make that decision :-)