╌>

Georgia Republicans silent on overriding Trump veto of defense bill

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  4 years ago  •  9 comments

By:   By Tia Mitchell, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Georgia Republicans silent on overriding Trump veto of defense bill
Georgia Republicans overwhelmingly voted in favor of a national defense bill that includes 3% pay raises for troops and funding for programs at military installations across Georgia.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Credit: HYOSUB SHIN / AJC

WASHINGTON — Georgia Republicans overwhelmingly voted in favor of a national defense bill that includes 3% pay raises for troops and funding for programs at military installations across Georgia.

However, the measure also contains a provision to rename bases named after Confederate leaders, including two in Georgia, and lacks language pertaining to social media companies that President Donald Trump sought. 

Now, the Georgia congressional delegation’s 10 GOP members must decide whether they will vote next week to override the president’s veto and enact the National Defense Authorization Act anyway.

The decision is particularly difficult for U.S. Sens. David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler, who have both linked their runoff campaigns to having the president’s support.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

The upcoming election in Georgia is of major importance. Although "only" 2 Senate seats are at stake, the real importance of this election is that it will determine whether the Republicans will continue to control the U.S. Senate-- or whether the Democrats will re-gain control!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Krishna @1    4 years ago

Are you saying voting for increasing military pay and allowances and taking care of our troops and their families is a bad thing?

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1    4 years ago

I support that. There are some things I really approve of and some things I don't. 

They say this is one piece of legislation that is most always bipartisan.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @1.1.1    4 years ago

I detest the idea that foreign aid was piggybacked onto this bill by the Democrats. I mean who gives a rat's behind a out gender assignment studies in Pakistan?

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

The decision is particularly difficult for U.S. Sens. David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler, who have both linked their runoff campaigns to having the president’s support.

Looks like Trump has once again screwed the Congressional Republicans!

If they over-ride his veto, they will appear to disloyal to Trump which will definitely hurt Perdue and Loeffler with many Georgia Republican voters.

OTOH, if they don't vote to over-ride the veto and there fore Defense Bill fails ... there won't be the scheduled pay raises for our troops! And conservative Georgia voters will know that Perdue and Loeffler contributed to that...

(Can't help but wonder...why is Trump acting in a way that will probably doom the re-election chances of these 2 Republican Senate candidates...)

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2    4 years ago

(Can't help but wonder...why is Trump acting in a way that will probably doom the re-election chances of these 2 Republican Senate candidates...)

And much worse yet (for Republicans): If the these two Republican Senate candidates loose because of Trump's actions, it goes beyond "merely" loosing 2 Senators!

Rather, it would finally let the Dems regain control of the Senate!!

Trump has put the Georgia Republicans in a bind...a Christmas gift from Trump to the Democrats!

WHY????

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

And to make matters worse for Perdue and Loeffler, the bill Trump vetoed also contains these items  (at the very least good for the Georgia economy...sure to be popular with Georgia voters):

National Defense Bill that includes .  . ..  funding for programs at military installations across Georgia.

WTF is Trump up to?

More and more he's acting like a petulant child!!!

Why is he screwing not only Georgia's Republican voters (who want Republican Senators elected), but also other Republican voters nationwide who do not want two more Democrats elected...and (from their POV) they certainly don't want Trump's shenanigans to result of control of the Senate to return to the Dems!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

This Georgia Senate election is exceptionally important.  Either it will allow Biden to achieve his policies without having to shed blood, or else have to fight tooth and nail to get only scraps of them through, if at all.  McConnell has already established that what's good for him is not what's good for the nation, but what's good only for the Republican Party - such a wonderful attitude when the nation is faced with the most disastrous and lethal common enemy in a century.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5  Ed-NavDoc    4 years ago

I am a right leaning conservative but right now I find Mitch McConnell to be one of the most disgusting people in Washington, DC.