╌>

Capitol Rioters Could Serve Up to 10 Years in Prison Under an Executive Order from Trump

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hal-a-lujah  •  3 years ago  •  35 comments

By:   Nicholas Rice

Capitol Rioters Could Serve Up to 10 Years in Prison Under an Executive Order from Trump
Pro-Trump rioters can be jailed for "injury of federal property" under an executive order that was previously signed by the president

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Rioters, who stormed the U.S. Capitol building in Washington, D.C. in support of President Donald Trump, during the meeting to ratify the Electoral College presidential election votes on Wednesday, could face serious punishments under Trump's recent executive order.

On Thursday, Acting Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen shared a statement , which noted that those responsible for the recent riots at the Capitol would "face the full consequences of their actions under the law."

"Yesterday, our Nation watched in disbelief as a mob breached the Capitol Building and required federal and local law enforcement to help restore order.  The Department of Justice is committed to ensuring that those responsible for this attack on our Government and the rule of law face the full consequences of their actions under the law," Rosen said. "Our criminal prosecutors have been working throughout the night with special agents and investigators from the U.S. Capitol Police, FBI, ATF, Metropolitan Police Department and the public to gather the evidence, identify perpetrators, and charge federal crimes where warranted."

"Some participants in yesterday’s violence will be charged today, and we will continue to methodically assess evidence, charge crimes and make arrests in the coming days and weeks to ensure that those responsible are held accountable under the law," he added.

The pro-Trump rioters are able to be punished with a maximum of 10 years in prison for "injury of federal property" under an executive order that was previously signed by Trump, 74, amid racial injustice protests that occurred last year. In his statement, Rosen, 62, did not mention any specific punishments or refer to the executive order.

Back in June, Trump highlighted the Veteran's Memorial Preservation and Recognition Act of 2003 and said he wanted "up to 10 years in prison" for anyone who vandalized or attempted to vandalize federal monuments.

"I just had the privilege of signing a very strong Executive Order protecting American Monuments, Memorials, and Statues - and combatting recent Criminal Violence," Trump tweeted on June 26. "Long prison terms for these lawless acts against our Great Country!"

In a follow-up statement, Trump added,  "This action is taken effective immediately, but may also be used retroactively for destruction or vandalism already caused. There will be no exceptions!"

That same month, the president claimed to reporters outside the White House that he would sign an executive order "very shortly" in order to bolster the 2003 law he referred to on Twitter.

"All it’s going to do is reinforce what’s already there, but in a more uniform way," he said at the time.

On Thursday, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) called for help in identifying those who participated in the Wednesday riots.

"The FBI is seeking information that will assist in identifying individuals who are actively instigating violence in Washington, DC.," the FBI wrote in a statement on its website. "If you have witnessed unlawful violent actions, we urge you to submit any information, photos, or videos that could be relevant at fbi.gov/USCapitol ."

"Please use this form to submit any images, videos, or other multimedia files you have related to possible violations of federal law committed. Our goal is to preserve the public’s constitutional right to protest by protecting everyone from violence and other criminal activity," the bureau added. "You may also call ‪1-800-CALL-FBI (1-‪800-225-5324) to verbally report tips and/or information related to this investigation."

Police have confirmed that at least  five people have died and several dozen police officers were injured during the violent events.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

"This action is taken effective immediately, but may also be used retroactively for destruction or vandalism already caused. There will be no exceptions!"

By order of Donald J. Trump

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1  Kavika   replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    3 years ago

The ultimate irony.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @1.1    3 years ago

Great minds, Kav!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.2  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Kavika @1.1    3 years ago

Now he needs to be removed before he can pardon them.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    3 years ago

That EO should be used against him also.  He facilitated the attack and that makes him a direct accessory.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    3 years ago
"There will be no exceptions!"

trumpsters suffering some poetic justice is pretty f'n hilarious.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.4  Gordy327  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    3 years ago

So an insurrection only carries a penalty of 10 years? Seems a little light.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.4.1  Gsquared  replied to  Gordy327 @1.4    3 years ago

I was thinking the same thing.  It looks like the maximum sentence for sedition is 2 years, and 5 years for rioting.  If convicted of all 3 crimes, and given consecutive sentences, that could result in 17 years.  Gun and weapons possession charges could potentially result in even longer imprisonment.  Also, charges related to the murder of the police officer.  EG sets it out very well in comment 3 below.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.4.2  Krishna  replied to  Gsquared @1.4.1    3 years ago
It looks like the maximum sentence for sedition is 2 years, and 5 years for rioting.  If convicted of all 3 crimes, and given consecutive sentences, that could result in 17 years.  Gun and weapons possession charges could potentially result in even longer imprisonment.  Also, charges related to the murder of the police officer.  EG sets it out very well in comment 3 below.

Well I could be wrong, but I have a different opinion. I think noe of them will serve even a day in jail! jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png .

Why? Because Trump will pardon the lot of 'em!!!

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.4.3  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.4.2    3 years ago
Well I could be wrong, but I have a different opinion. I think noe of them will serve even a day in jail! .

Why? Because Trump will pardon the lot of 'em!!!

Just wondering why so many people here seem to believe that Trump will not pardon them...????

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.4.4  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Krishna @1.4.3    3 years ago

Pressure on both sides is mounting to remove him before that could happen.  This clown is a dangerous wild animal at this point and his minions can’t even hang on anymore.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.4.5  Gsquared  replied to  Krishna @1.4.2    3 years ago

That is possible.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.4.6  Ozzwald  replied to  Krishna @1.4.3    3 years ago
Just wondering why so many people here seem to believe that Trump will not pardon them...????

None of them looked like they had enough money to pay him to pardon them.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.4.7  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.4.6    3 years ago

[deleted]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.5  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    3 years ago

Everybody sing.... "Whoomp, there it is...!"

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    3 years ago
The pro-Trump rioters are able to be punished with a maximum of 10 years in prison for "injury of federal property" under an executive order that was previously signed by Trump, 74, amid racial injustice protests that occurred last year.

Now that's irony

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    3 years ago

Or poetic justice.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    3 years ago

I'm thinking that donald and rudy inciting a riot would likely pull the maximum 10 year sentence.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  devangelical @2.2    3 years ago

DOJ just announced it would not seek charges against ANY of the rally speakers or protest speakers

contradicting the top federal D.C. prosecutor.

That implies that Trump will not be charged.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.2.2  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.1    3 years ago

Do as I say, not as I do.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Gsquared  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.1    3 years ago

That's from Trump's DOJ.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.4  Split Personality  replied to  Gsquared @2.2.3    3 years ago

Yep, Merrick's coming in 13 days.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.4    3 years ago

popcorn.gif

evilone
Professor Guide
3  evilone    3 years ago

Destruction of federal property already carries a penalty of up to 10 years in prison and/or $250,000 fine. Engaging in a riot carries up to 5 years and, or a fine. Perhaps a prosecutor could add another charge under the Veteran's Memorial Preservation and Recognition Act of 2003 and a federal judge could order sentences to be carried out sequentially, rather than concurrently. AND since LEOs were injured and one killed they can all be charged with battery &  murder/accessory to murder possibly with aggravating circumstances. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  evilone @3    3 years ago

I like how you add up the totals.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2  Kavika   replied to  evilone @3    3 years ago

My abacas just registered 60 years and it's Federal charges so you have to serve 85% of the sentence. 

Works for me.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

Give 10 years to everyone who can be identified as having invaded the Capitol, on top of other charges that apply. These people need the absolute maximum sentence. 

Trotsky's Spectre
Freshman Silent
5  Trotsky's Spectre    3 years ago

Anyone else get the sense that the no-minds will be sacrificed quickly in the hope of assuaging/turning public anger from higher-ups who masterminded their glorious assault on the Capitol?

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1  evilone  replied to  Trotsky's Spectre @5    3 years ago

They will throw a few slaves to the lions to appease the crowd, but Rome & Cesar are absolute.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     3 years ago

I'd love to see this elected asshole doing 10.

West Virginia state lawmaker charged with illegally entering Capitol during riot

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Kavika @6    3 years ago

I saw that they’ve also arrested the fine gentleman that purchased Pelosi’s office belongings for 25 cents without her permission.  it will probably cost $2,500 to fumigate her office after he fouled it with his presence.  

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.1    3 years ago

They need to find this dangerous Nazi insurrectionist.  He appears to possibly be co-ordinating activities.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.1    3 years ago
I saw that they’ve also arrested the fine gentleman that purchased Pelosi’s office belongings for 25 cents without her permission.  it will probably cost $2,500 to fumigate her office after he fouled it with his presence.

Hoping they also charge him with 18 U.S. Code § 1708, theft of mail.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @6    3 years ago

I"'d love to see this elected asshole doing 10."

West Virginia State Lawmaker Charged With Illegally Entering Capitol During Riot

10tv

See how the whackjobs have infiltrated?  

Scary shit when these guys are in the positions they're in.  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide