╌>

The 2005/6 "Mohammed (PBUH) Cartoon Crisis" - Part I

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  the-irascible-harry-krishner  •  9 years ago  •  10 comments

The 2005/6 "Mohammed (PBUH) Cartoon Crisis" - Part I

WARNING! If you are prepared to be offended, you'll probably be disappointed! These are really quite mild, considerably milder than the recent Charlie Hebdo cartoons. (Never-the-less, their publication of these was followed by 2 embassies being torched and over 140 people being killed). From this website:

The Jyllands-Posten Cartoons

The Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten created the furor over depictions of Mohammed by publishing a series of 12 drawings after a local author said he was unable to find any artist willing to depict Mohammed for his upcoming illustrated book. The publication of the images in Jyllands-Posten has been condemned around the Islamic world, and has led to the burning of embassies and a boycott of Denmark by Muslim nations.

Here are the Jyllands-Posten drawings, for the record. Each image is an individual jpeg file, courtesy of the Face of Muhammed site. (If you would like to have one jpeg containing all 12 images together, click here .) Scroll down below the 12 original cartoon images on this page to find additional information about the fake Mohammed images distributed in the Middle East to incite outrage, and a detailed follow-up on the illustrated book that started the fuss:

jyllandsposten_bombhead.jpg
jyllandsposten_glory.jpg
jyllandsposten_thumb2.jpg
jyllandsposten_desert2.jpg
jyllandsposten_cartoonist.jpg
jyllandsposten_preaching.0.jpg
jyllandsposten_schoolboy.0.jpg
jyllandsposten_censor2.jpg
jyllandsposten_virgins2.jpg
jyllandsposten_prstunt.jpg
jyllandsposten_lineup2.jpg

Jyllands-Posten.jpg

This is what the original Jyllands-Posten page looked like. Notice that there were only 12 cartoons.
(Hat tip: Joanna.)

PICT1379.jpg
As seen here, on May 28, 2006, the left-wing Danish newspaper Politiken also reprinted the cartoons , thinking themselves immune to attacks from Muslims because they reprinted the cartoons only for the purpose of criticizing them. Politiken has had a grudge against Jyllands-Posten ever since the cartoon scandal broke.
(Hat tip: SpartacusDk.)

( LINK )

Related:

The 2005/6 "Mohammed (PBUH) Cartoon Crisis" - Part II

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    9 years ago

Note: The publication of these was followed by, not caused by, the publication. That story is a bit complicated, and not widely known-- more on that in Part II or Part II to be posted here at a later date. (Or, for those with easy access to a working time machine, they will be posted at an earlier date!)

Krishna
Professor Expert

The first one is the only one that many people fell to actually be offensive. KW is "Kurt Westergaard"-- there are also several interesting and informative stories about that-- more later.

But here's a bit about the dude-- from Wikipedia :

Kurt Westergaard (born 13 July 1935 as Kurt Vestergaard ) is a Danish cartoonist who created the controversial cartoon of the Islamic prophet Muhammad wearing a bomb in his turban . This cartoon was the most contentious of the 12 Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons , which met with strong reactions from Muslims worldwide, including Western countries. Since the drawing of the cartoon, Westergaard has received numerous death threats and was a target of assassination attempts. As a result, he is under constant police protection

Krishna
Professor Expert

Actually,its quite surprising that Muslims were offended-- there's only one of these that actually looks like Mohammed (PBUH)-- as you can see, the rest actually bare little resemblance to him.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    9 years ago

I hope we never lose that.

We've already lost that . Self censorship is quite widespread in US media ...

Krishna
Professor Expert

I hope we never lose that.

We've already lost that . Self censorship is quite widespread in US media ...

Well, we haven't lost it 100%-- not yet.

Cahrlie hebdo came out with another edition right after the massacres. The Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) was on the cover. The story was all over the US media.

But I had to do considerable searching to see the picture that was on the front page. They all had the story-- but few showed it.

I watched the news on MSNBC-- they had the story of course-- but decided to not show the picture-- "out of respect for..."...yadda, yadda, yadda. And BTW, that "respect" stuff is bullshit-- they are just too scared of violence.

BTW, it was the same when the 2006 cartoons were published in Denmark. Almost no American paper or TV station showed them. (But you could find them on the 'net). But this is only part 1 of the series I intend to post here. More on who did/did not publish them and why in later installments.

Plus there are 3 more that most people do't know about...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    9 years ago

2642_discussions.gif This one may not be Mohammed, but to me it's hilarious:

2643_discussions.jpg

Krishna
Professor Expert

How do you know its not Mohammed (PBUH)-- he may be hiding under one of the burkas (actually I get the names for the different coverings mixed up-- that one may not be a burka0.

Don't assume their all women (There was at east one case of a bank robbery where two people who looked like woman were dressed like that-- robbed a bank. (They were actually men). P,S: That's kid's drawing doesn't look like Mohammed (PBUH) at all. So there's no justification in killing him.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    9 years ago

The kid thought it looked like him, so he's dead meat.

Krishna
Professor Expert

This is Part I of a NT series. Part II has now been published:

The 2005/6 "Mohammed (PBUH) Cartoon Crisis" - Part II

Krishna
Professor Expert

There's a lot more to come-- this is part of a series...be the first on your block to collect them all.