╌>

Evangelicals are teaching false doctrine. Who says so? Jesus Christ | Salon.com

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  larry-hampton  •  3 years ago  •  52 comments

By:   Nathaniel Manderson (Salon)

Evangelicals are teaching false doctrine. Who says so? Jesus Christ | Salon.com
I've spent my life around evangelical theology — and most of it is exactly the hypocrisy Christ warned us about

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

I was raised by a pair of wild hippies, so my heart has always been committed to liberal ideology. As a Bible-believing Christian, however, I was surrounded by evangelical theology throughout my youth, in various churches, Bible camps and so on. When I decided to enter the ministry to attempt to change that conservative theology, I attended an evangelical seminary. It was clear on my first day on campus that no reform was going to occur.

If I happened to mention voting for Al Gore, I was told by my classmates that God keeps a record of my voting history and that I had voted for a man who endorses baby-killing and tearing down the American family. Honestly, I was just hoping that President Gore might help save the planet and not make up a reason to go to war in Iraq. Anyway, in my 10 years in ministry I had even less luck making any changes, which is why I left the formal ministry a couple of years ago.

The truth then, and even more so now, is that we cannot separate Republicans, and now the Trumpists, from the evangelicals. I have seen my fellow "Christian left" types attempting to reform the God vote — in fact, I've done it myself — but I feel we have been too timid in our approach. Stronger language and a pure rejection of evangelical theology is needed. From a purely Christian point of view, the evangelical leadership are false teachers teaching a false doctrine. Trumpism cannot be defeated without first facing down evangelicalism. Jesus Christ, who these people claim as their savior, himself provided a warning against these religious hypocrites in Matthew 23:

Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.

The only real threat to Christianity is Christianity itself. Leading evangelical pastors like Franklin Graham and Robert Jeffress made a passionate plea for Christian voters to ignore Trump's shortcomings as a man because he stands with the Christian church on all things that are right and true. Apparently, that means Christians must shut the door to all LGBTQ people, abortion providers, liberals, immigrants, Muslims and anyone who happens to mention taxing the wealthy.

Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are.

Many of the false American evangelical teachers demonize and look down upon the people in poorer countries. I have seen these "missionaries" in places like Haiti building their churches and making sure "proper doctrine" is followed. It is this type of modern-day colonialism that has provided foreign governments the religious authority to enact terrible anti-LGBTQ laws and restrictions on reproductive rights for women.

Woe to you, blind guides! You say, "If anyone swears by the temple, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gold of the temple is bound by that oath."You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred?

False teachers have always believed that their financial wealth means favor with God. I have seen many Christian leaders give praise to God for their big homes, nice cars and million-dollar sanctuaries. This belief that God has blessed them with great stuff prevents them from ever understanding the need to fund programs that provide equality in the education, health care, justice and economic systems.

Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices — mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law — justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.

These false evangelical leaders may have stayed within the law, but they know nothing about being merciful. They could never understand the message to reach out to undocumented immigrants because of God's call to treat the foreigner as native born — because we were once foreigners ourselves. They only understand the language of rules and law without mercy and grace.

Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence.

Many of these false evangelical leaders have spent a lot of time and money making sure their public image is clean. Ideal marriages, wonderful children, kind and loving people who are financially affluent and pay their taxes. Christ reminded his followers to be careful of such a well-crafted persona. Behind the curtain there are many filled with hypocrisy and wickedness.

Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You build tombs for the prophets and decorate the graves of the righteous. And you say, "If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we would not have taken part with them in shedding the blood of the prophets." So you testify against yourselves that you are the descendants of those who murdered the prophets. Go ahead, then, and complete what your ancestors started!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Larry Hampton    3 years ago

Many of these current evangelical leaders love to quote Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his message of love and forgiveness. Many would like to forget that most conservative Christian leaders rejected Dr. King's message while he was alive, and some believed he was a communist. It is no mystery to me why there is no picture of the great Rev. Billy Graham marching with Dr. King. These false evangelical leaders expose themselves again as they reject the Rev. William J. Barber II's message about honoring and uplifting the poor, which is far more clearly based in Christian doctrine than anything they preach. These false evangelical Christian leaders never understood Dr. King's message to follow Jesus into those places in America where poor people struggle and suffer and too often die, and they never will.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1  Kavika   replied to  Larry Hampton @1    3 years ago
These false evangelical Christian leaders never understood Dr. King's message to follow Jesus into those places in America where poor people struggle and suffer and too often die, and they never will.

Sadly, that is accurate.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  CB  replied to  Kavika @1.1    3 years ago

Such evangelical leaders use the words, "social justice warrior" as a pejorative. Though, it is Jesus who is attributed with instilling in believers the principle of caring for the Widow, the Orphan, the Poor, the Sick, the Disabled, the Hospitalized, the Prisoner. This is most sad, indeed.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2  CB  replied to  Larry Hampton @1    3 years ago

Larry H!, I saw this article on my phone a day ago and almost seeded it here. I am so glad you have done so (and beat me to it). (Chuckles.)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    3 years ago

Many of today's evangelicals give lip service to following the teachings of Christ, but do not embody his message at all.  Many are judgmental, hypocritical, self-righteous, and condescending - everything Jesus preached against.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    3 years ago

Part of the problem is, many have their heads so buried in their religion/beliefs, they become unable or unwilling to engage in rational thought or question their religion/beliefs or what other religious "leaders" tell them.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1    3 years ago

True.  Many won't even examine how untrue they are to their own purported beliefs.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.1    3 years ago

Not only that, they probably would not even consider their religion or beliefs could be wrong. But they'll maintain they're right and everyone else must be wrong. It's the height of arrogance and intellectual dishonestly.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2.1.3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @2.1    3 years ago
many have their heads so buried in their religion/beliefs, they become

cult like.

Some allowing themselves to be almost brainwashed by religious beliefs to the point of not being able to even function normally in society. 

sad

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.1.3    3 years ago
Some allowing themselves to be almost brainwashed by religious beliefs to the point of not being able to even function normally in society. 

Perhaps some are. But I'd say it's to the point where rational thought and critical thinking are abandoned when it comes to anything that challenges religious belief.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.5  CB  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.1.3    3 years ago
Some allowing themselves to be almost brainwashed by religious beliefs

I find it needful to inform us that these "evangelicals" are dangerously delusional. That is, they are willing to believe a lie (as believers in God and a higher purpose) that Donald Trump, a most wicked authoritarian man, can lead them to the 'Promise Land' they seek in our nation.

This has all the earmarks of early U.S. history, when those in national and state leaderships (and the Church) donned a 'condition' of not-knowing. That is, they demonized others and casted them out of society to become human 'beasts of burden' and social 'untouchables.' It was a delusion so strong that it spanned generations. Done so as to rob some potential citizens of their humanity, their rights, their prosperity, their femininity, their sexuality, control over their bodies, and the process is how we end up with this 'curse' today.

And here we sit poised to do it all over again. . . .

The Devil is a Lie. This Time We Won't.

Sophomore Guide
2.1.6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  CB @2.1.5    3 years ago

heaven help us from what men do in the name of good

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.7  CB  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.1.6    3 years ago

These people are anything but good. They have a vision of what this country should be and they are losing it. So the delusion is preferable. That causes them to be diabolical.

Again,this national delusion occurred before. Early colonists knew minorities were people like themselves, but they taught themselves to overrule any feelings they had for Others. It is the shame for which their children say, (with their lips - and what about their hearts?) we have great remorse over what we did.

And now, when equality knocks for all, they look back and turn their backs on truth; invent an alternative reality and hop 'whole' into it.

Sadly, to keep people, poor, broke, and 'down' wells up a great deal of disgust! And it stews in the guts of each succeeding generation. Until it is done and 'washed' clean. Purified.

It won't be purified 'today.' Because another generation is primed to attempt a '1779 national mindset' all over again.

This time, history will record itself differently. For we, and the world, are watching them (and their flimsy reasoning) under a microscope.

Sophomore Guide
2.1.8  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  CB @2.1.7    3 years ago
These people are anything but good

Yea but they do that shit in their name of good . Good for them. The name of good.....

People aren't going to go along with what they want IF the people think its not good. 

Like a wolf in sheep's clothing !

or many evangelists,...  jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.9  CB  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.1.8    3 years ago

Warping the minds of innocent people into choosing delusion or fact is a losing proposition. After all, this nation went into delusion for a long time and then it declared itself getting 'better': Shall we allow this nation to become sick in its head AGAIN?

How will these people fix their collective lips to apologize yet again.

This time, right here, now, it is this GENERATION OF EVANGELICALS standing in the 'light' with all the foresight and knowledge of the present (looking back in the mirror of the Past) buying into a strong delusion that will sicken them the same - or worst - than before!

Except this time: These foolish and mocking God, so-called, "Believers" can not convince "the beasts" to accept a 'yoke' of bondage submissively.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.10  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1    3 years ago

For many of today's evangelicals, dogma has largely overtaken logic.  I'll bet that even having a non-dogmatic thought these days can get you kicked out of the evangelical club.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.11  Ozzwald  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.10    3 years ago
For many of today's evangelicals, dogma has largely overtaken logic.

Logic has never been encouraged in any religion, evangelical or not.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.12  Gordy327  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.10    3 years ago

Logic is an anathema to religious belief.

Sophomore Guide
2.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    3 years ago
Many of today's evangelicals

I think it started before now... 

Jimmy Swaggart , a Pentecostal televangelist, got his start on television in 1975. In the 1980s, he teamed up with Reverend Jerry Falwell, Reverend James Robison, and Reverend Pat Robertson to use the Christian Right to shape the Republican party. Satan's agents are everywhere, according to Swaggart, and include feminists, Democrats, and rock musicians.

Evangelical pastor  Ted Haggard  ranted against the evils of premarital sex, adultery, and gay marriage. That is, until he was caught in a  gay sex scandal  in 2006.

www.rank.com/list/pastors-that-fell-from-grace/genevieve-carlton

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.2    3 years ago
I think it started before now...

Absolutely, it did.  Today's evangelicals are the products of decades of false preaching, starting before megachurches and televangelism.

Sophomore Guide
2.2.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.1    3 years ago
Today's evangelicals are the products of decades of false preaching,

So true and tomorrow's will be the child of today's.

again, sad 

PS: Sandy, I went thru a real tough time some years ago, I read the old testament, the new testament, the Book of Mormon and parts of the Koran, I came away with my understanding that the religious writings are mainly to try to control other men.

sad

Sophomore Guide
2.2.4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.1    3 years ago
I think it started before now.

Sandy, I just updated my last post back to you 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.2.4    3 years ago

I agree with your update.  It's men trying to control other men and women, by convincing them that they have a god on their side, and inducing fear of that god.  The New Testament is a bit better, but still relies largely on fear.

Sophomore Guide
2.2.6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.5    3 years ago
The New Testament is a bit better, but still relies largely on fear.

It seems that is religions strong suite. Fear. 

so sad, but a great manipulator, personally I can't stand to be manipulated !! I have a nephew I won't even talk to because he is such a manipulative ass hole. 

Sophomore Guide
2.2.7  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.5    3 years ago
It's men trying to control other men and women,

True, I missed that in my post.  Opps... sorry.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.8  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.5    3 years ago

scare tactics are proven to be a successful sales technique. target the gullible and those that base their decision making upon emotions, and the world is your oyster. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.2.9  FLYNAVY1  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.2.2    3 years ago

How about controlling women...... making them subservient to men.....

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.2.10  FLYNAVY1  replied to  devangelical @2.2.8    3 years ago

Conservatives have larger fear centers in the brain than progressives, thus their political advertising makes great use of fear and has as far back as Regan from what I can see..

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    3 years ago

I have lots of up close and personal experience with evangelical churches. About the nicest thing I can say about evangelical Christianity is that those churches are often very effective at getting people excited about worship. Of course they also contribute to charities. But what they do beyond that - to people - is awful.

Jesus met people where they were in life and accepted them for who they were. His message was that God loves us all equally. Period. Full stop. There is nothing you can do to make God love you more or less.

It's a great message. But in practice, evangelicals are incredibly judgmental. As if to make it worse, feigning humility, they will admit to some of their own failings, but it's always something really lame like they were impatient with their spouse last Tuesday or they had some impure thought - about which, they would prefer not to go into detail. Other than the occasional slip-up like that, they figure they're all good with God. But if you have sinned, you should confess it to as many members of the church as will listen.

But the other people in the world? The gays who want to convert your children? The degenerates who drink, screw, and listen to loud music? The divorcees? The women who wear pants and talk back to their husbands? The people who think the Earth is round or older than a few thousands years? Those people work for Satan, and God will never accept them unless they change totally.

There is no better modern day version of the biblical Pharisees than evangelicals.

It's an angry, judging theology that I think is completely contrary to the Gospel. Their stock in trade is shaming people - sometimes to the point of suicide. And outside the church, everyone can see it. Good - but flawed - people out in the world stay away from churches by the millions, and why wouldn't they? Who wants to get up early on a Sunday morning to be told what a disgraceful piece of shit they are?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Tacos! @3    3 years ago

Excellent post Tacos....

Who wants to get up early on a Sunday morning to be told what a disgraceful piece of shit they are?

"We are not worthy so much as to gather up the crumbs under thy Table. But thou art the same Lord, whose property is always to have mercy"

A sample of the Episcopal dogma I was raised with just prior to communion.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    3 years ago
The only real threat to Christianity is Christianity itself. Leading evangelical pastors like Franklin Graham and Robert Jeffress made a passionate plea for Christian voters to ignore Trump's shortcomings as a man because he stands with the Christian church on all things that are right and true. Apparently, that means Christians must shut the door to all LGBTQ people, abortion providers, liberals, immigrants, Muslims and anyone who happens to mention taxing the wealthy.

Meanwhile, Satan has been busy tempting some of them with adulterous sex, accumulating more and more wealth, not paying taxes, etc.

Why should I listen to Joel Osteen when he has multi-million dollar home and a jet? Who was the one that was caught with his pants down just recently? Why would I listen to him when he tells me trmp is a good Christian man when, quite frankly, I know better.

I do believe that some of the non Christians here on NT are better "Christians" than the ones who say they are. We do have one or two that walk the walk

CB
Professor Principal
5  CB    3 years ago

Well, isn't it telling that the evangelicals of NT did not bother to grace this conversation with their presence? Speaks volumes!

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
5.1  Duck Hawk  replied to  CB @5    3 years ago

We lost most of them when we lost most of the conservative members of this site. I saw a decline in voices from the right beginning about a year or more ago. For example: whatever happened to the member whose avatar was a picture of a guy with long greying hair and a hat  (I cannot recall his name right now)? A more recent is: where is MUVA?

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.1  CB  replied to  Duck Hawk @5.1    3 years ago

I know the guy: _v=63f541550121353 LIVEFREEORDIE.

Muva?  I really don't know. He 'abandoned' us on the fly!

JBB
Professor Principal
6  JBB    3 years ago

Evangelical christian fundies make Christ cringe!

He wouldn't associate with that bunch of haters...

Whores? Yes. Politicians? Yes. Haters? Not goin!

CB
Professor Principal
6.1  CB  replied to  JBB @6    3 years ago

The silence from the evangelical 'camp" is deafening. So much for being "bold" in sharing Jesus Christ!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

One year (1971) my bf talked me into going to see a traveling preacher by the name of Leroy Jenkins.  I, my bf, and some members of his church were sitting 2 rows center from the stage.  The man was totally in his moment, pacing, talking to the air to Jesus, and waving his arms around.  It was really quite entertaining until "it" happened.  He stopped dead center, pointed right at me and called me a harlot and a jezebel.  For a quick moment I thought he was talking to someone else until it hit me that it was me.  I had to look those words up later but after I found out what they meant, I knew what followed after his accusations was the correct reaction.  My reaction is when the shit really hit the fan.  His mistake was after calling me those names he asked/yelled "What do you have to say about that Harlot?????"  I stood up and said at the top of my voice in front of a packed auditorium....."FUCK YOU AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON YOU FUCKING FALSE PROPHET OF GOD!"  That was followed by a double handed one fingered salute and the Italian equivalent (slapping the forearm, snapping your thumbnail on your front teeth, and spitting on the ground).  My bf was totally mortified and I told him to stay away from me and I walked home 5 miles.  I was still fired up and now in tears when I got home.  I told my mom, who was high on the food chain at our newspaper what happened.  She remained silent for a few minutes but I could tell the wheels were turning in her mind and then she grabbed her car keys.  It would seem that she went and paid this ahole a visit.  Now he was supposed to be preaching for a week straight, but the next morning, he claimed a personal emergency and left town.  It would seem that she promised to bring the wrath of the newspaper down on him full force if he did not get the hell out of Dodge.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1  CB  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7    3 years ago

Good old "Leroy Jenkins" and his traveling tent show. I have seen it often (past decade) on the faith channels (one or the other). Were there cameras around (he films his shows for television)? You may be on film (or 'cut' out more likely)!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  CB @7.1    3 years ago

OMG!  Is he still around?  This was 1971 so cam corders and cell phones were not a thing back then.  He was not filming either.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.2  CB  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1.1    3 years ago

Well he was in the 1990's when I reconfessed my faith (in God) and started watching "The Word Network" (it is not on in my area for several years now). Take a peek a his word. I am going with the date Youtube assigns to this show. (It could be internally different?)

LJ 917 EG WEB Pheonix

Mr. Jenkins had an air of caring in his delivery. People could never quite place him on the spectrum as far as I could tell. I think he wanted to send 'blessed water' or was it 'oil' through the mail to fix ailments. It might have been 'water' from a special well.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  CB @7.1.2    3 years ago

No way do I ever want to hear that voice ever again.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7    3 years ago
It would seem that she promised to bring the wrath of the newspaper down on him full force if he did not get the hell out of Dodge.

Old saying......Never screw with a person that buys their ink by the gallon.

Given the perfection of your eloquent response to ol Leroy... there is little doubt in my mind that you continued to refine and apply that eloquence during your military service as needed.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.2    3 years ago

That and don't mess with a Mama Bear's cub.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7.2.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.2.1    3 years ago

Let's go with that one too...... I'm guessing the acorn took out every branch on it's way down as well......

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.2    3 years ago

I have perfected that eloquence over the years.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7    3 years ago

How dare he! I'm so glad Mama Bear took care of him...after you gave him what for.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.3.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.3    3 years ago

That was not the first time Mama Bear surfaced.  Her favorite saying was...."Don't talk shit to or about my kid.  That is my job."

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

This is me when I was little, living up to the name the good lord gave me.

Ok, I lied.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8    3 years ago

OMG that is disturbing. He's only aping what he has seen and heard. He doesn't even know what everyone is getting excited about

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1    3 years ago

Mama’s little money maker.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8    3 years ago

He may be of Satan.  It's hard to tell cause you can't understand a word he's saying. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.2.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2    3 years ago

I think he started the speaking in tongues phenomena.