╌>

Facebook plans to give users more controls over what they see

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  hallux  •  3 years ago  •  5 comments

By:   Sara Fischer,

Facebook plans to give users more controls over what they see
With the company's new moves, it's trying to say to users, "You decide!"

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Between the lines: The op-ed also addressed popular perceptions about why Facebook uses algorithms to push content to users in the first place.

• Clegg dismissed the idea that the company uses algorithms to intentionally push divisive content to users, and instead argued that the company has tried to downplay sensational content by offering users with additional context around sensitive events, like the pandemic or the election, and filtering out eye-catching spam.
  • “The reality is, it’s not in Facebook’s interest — financially or reputationally — to continually turn up the temperature and push users towards ever more extreme content,” he writes

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Masters Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

To sum up, bullshit continues to baffle brains and bolster bank balances.

Anywho, I thought "You Decide" was FOX's motto.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1    3 years ago

the only purpose FB serves for me is to save money on over priced greeting cards.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 years ago

I like doing birthday cards on face book. No more 5 dollar cards

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I look at Facebook occasionally for one thing, to see what my family and friends are up to. 

As a news source I think it is woefully weak.  RSS feeds where you choose the content yourself and can scroll through endless lists of current news from a wide array of sources is a far superior way to see news content. 

And yet we hear occasionally that more people get their news from Facebook than by any other means. I find that inexplicable. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    3 years ago

Never trust a billionaire that cannot even get himself a decent haircut.