╌>

Tlaib: US policing 'intentionally racist,' can't be reformed

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  21 comments

By:   Mychael Schnell (MSN)

Tlaib: US policing 'intentionally racist,' can't be reformed
Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) on Monday said that policing in the U.S. is "intentionally racist" and "can't be reformed," in the aftermath of the fatal shooting of a Black man in a Minneapolis suburb, where the police chief said he believes the officer mistakenly used a gun instead of a taser."It wasn't an accident. Policing in our country is inherently & intentionally racist. Daunte Wright was met with aggression & violence," Tlaib wrote...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) on Monday said that policing in the U.S. is "intentionally racist" and "can't be reformed," in the aftermath of the fatal shooting of a Black man in a Minneapolis suburb, where the police chief said he believes the officer mistakenly used a gun instead of a taser.

© Greg Nash Tlaib: US policing 'intentionally racist,' can't be reformed

"It wasn't an accident. Policing in our country is inherently & intentionally racist. Daunte Wright was met with aggression & violence," Tlaib wrote on Twitter.

She also called for policing to end, writing that she is "done" with people who "condone government funded murder."

"No more policing, incarceration, and militarization. It can't be reformed," she continued in the same tweet.

It wasn't an accident. Policing in our country is inherently & intentionally racist.

Daunte Wright was met with aggression & violence. I am done with those who condone government funded murder.

No more policing, incarceration, and militarization. It can't be reformed.
- Rashida Tlaib (@RashidaTlaib) April 12, 2021

Twenty-year-old Daunte Wright was shot Sunday at a traffic stop in Brooklyn Center, Minn.

Wright's death has been ruled a homicide by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner. The city's police chief said he believes the officer meant to draw their taser, but mistakenly pulled their gun instead.

Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-Mass.) expressed a similar sentiment as Tlaib in the wake of Wright's killing, writing on Twitter "We can't reform this."

"From slave patrols to traffic stops. We can't reform this," she wrote.

From slave patrols to traffic stops. We can't reform this. https://t.co/Z4JV3iWUKF
- Ayanna Pressley (@AyannaPressley) April 12, 2021

Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), a progressive ally of Tlaib and Pressley, wrote on Twitter that her state was "sick and heartbroken," and that "violence is a basic part of police interactions with communities of color."

She added that the violence "must stop."

We are sick and heartbroken.

In the closing days of Derek Chauvin's murder trial, Brooklyn Center police killed 20 year old Daunte Wright, another Black man, during a traffic stop.

This violence is a basic part of police interactions with communities of color. It must stop. pic.twitter.com/bCqp3xRnT8
- Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) April 12, 2021

Protests erupted throughout Minnesota following the shooting. Photos and video taken late Sunday night showed hundreds of protesters gathered in Brooklyn Center, which is just north of Minneapolis, where the trial of former police officer Derek Chauvin, who is accused of murdering George Floyd, entered its third week on Monday.

Wright was initially pulled over for expired license tags, but after authorities obtained his IDs, they realized there was an outstanding warrant for his arrest.

In the video, Wright can be seen trying to get back into his car when two of the officers attempt to arrest and place handcuffs on him.

An officer can then be heard shouting "tase him" multiple times after Wright gets back into his car's driver seat. In the video, an officer points a gun at Wright as he grabs the steering wheel and shouts "S---!" and then appears to drop the handgun.

The officer then can be heard saying, "I just shot him."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

Such wisdom from the future of the left!!!!!

What could possibly go wrong with no police or incarceration!

/s

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

I know your being sarcastic , and i didnt need to see the S tag , but only a blind person wouldnt be able to see the outcome of such a proposal.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @1.1    3 years ago

A blind person or just a member of the Squad?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

Just when you thought you couldn't be surprised by the sheer stupidity on display by some Democrats, along comes a member or two or three of the Squad to prove you wrong!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @2    3 years ago

I find that woman to be one of the most disgusting people in elected office in DC. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

Racism is definitely baked into our justice system and law enforcement in many parts of the country, but it is not hopeless. Reform is possible but it is going to take a concerted effort and the first step is to admit there are issues. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3    3 years ago
Reform is possible but it is going to take a concerted effort and the first step is to admit there are issues. 

Not according to the darlings of the Squad!!!!

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    3 years ago

Well then they and I disagree.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4  Ronin2    3 years ago

Democrats the party of criminals everywhere!

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
5  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    3 years ago

Tlaib makes me feel ashamed to be from MI. I might ask my Lebanese friends and my Iraqi coworkers what they think of her. I'd like to hear their thoughts.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago
Tlaib makes me feel ashamed to be from MI.

She makes me ashamed for her.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

I wish she would go back to the place she loves so much she wrapped herself in its flag when she was elected.  In the movie the DaVinci Code Jean Reno said of the glass pyramid in front of the Louvre "It's a scar on the face of Paris", and in my opinion Tlaib is a scar on the face of America.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
7.1  Gazoo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    3 years ago

Open up another bottle of champagne, Buzz, we agree again lol.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gazoo @7.1    3 years ago

Being neither a Democrat nor a Republican or even an American I'm not bound to having to support party lines but have the privilege of being able to think for myself and support what I think makes sense and is the best for all.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
7.1.2  Gazoo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.1    3 years ago

I’m not democrat or republican and have never voted a party line. But these days, unless dems change drastically, i’ll never vote for one again.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    3 years ago

Right along with Omar and Presley!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.2    3 years ago

Agreed, but Pressley would only go back to Cincinnati.  I think she'd be a lot more comfortable in Russia or China.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7.2.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.2.1    3 years ago

pressleys from massachusettes, or she reps there., i tease my family back there all the time when she says something outlandish, i call her Mrs Clean .....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @7.2.2    3 years ago

Yeah, I know, but my comments were based on wishing Tlaib would go back to where she came from - and that goes for Omar as well, but Pressley was born in Cincinnati.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    3 years ago
Daunte Wright was met with aggression & violence

Actually he was being arrested on a warrant, in a calm and peaceful manner, until he choose to be physically aggressive so he could escape.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
8.1  Gazoo  replied to  Tacos! @8    3 years ago

Yep, won’t hear that from the left.