╌>

Montana becomes Second Amendment sanctuary, joining growing number of states fighting federal gun laws

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  11 comments

By:   Carly Ortiz-Lytle (MSN)

Montana becomes Second Amendment sanctuary, joining growing number of states fighting federal gun laws
Montana has barred state and local law enforcement from enforcing federal restrictions on firearms, making it the latest in a slew of Republican-controlled states to adopt Second Amendment protections.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Montana has barred state and local law enforcement from enforcing federal restrictions on firearms, making it the latest in a slew of Republican-controlled states to adopt Second Amendment protections.

© Provided by Washington Examiner

Greg Gianforte, the state's Republican governor, signed the bill on Friday, which bans the enforcement of federal bans on firearms, magazines, or ammunition. The bill applies retroactively to Jan. 1, 2021, a period that covers all of President Joe Biden's term in office.

Similar bills were vetoed by former Gov. Steve Bullock, a Democrat, in 2013, 2015, and 2017. Republicans gained control of every statewide office after the November election and held its existing majorities in the Montana House of Representatives and state Senate after the 2020 elections, wins that paved the way for this bill to be made into law.

Biden has promised an ambitious gun control agenda, and states across the country have approved Second Amendment sanctuary laws in an effort to preempt any federal gun control legislation or rulemaking.

Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey signed a similar bill in early April prohibiting law enforcement in his state from enforcing federal gun laws that are inconsistent with existing state law. The Utah Senate has also given its approval to a similar statute. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said that gun sanctuary legislation would be coming to his state imminently.

ARIZONA BECOMES SECOND AMENDMENT 'SANCTUARY' AHEAD OF BIDEN GUN CONTROL ORDERS

"This is what I'm seeking for Texas — a law to defy any new federal gun control laws. It will make Texas a Second Amendment Sanctuary State," the governor wrote in response to Ducey signing the Arizona legislation.

After Democrats were victorious in Virginia's 2019 state elections, dozens of counties became Second Amendment sanctuaries. Gov. Ralph Northam signed sweeping gun control legislation in the state in April 2020, which established a "red flag" program, limited purchasers to one handgun per month, and required background checks for all gun sales in the state.

After mass shootings in Colorado and Georgia, Biden unveiled a series of gun control measures. The administration announced that "ghost guns," which are self-assembled weapons that can be purchased without background checks, would now be classified as firearms under the Gun Control Act. Manufacturers of the kits will be required to issue serial numbers for "key parts" of the kit, and buyers will be subject to background checks.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER

The federal government will also incentivize states to create their own red flag laws, which can be used to remove firearms from a person deemed to be a danger to themselves or others.

Democrats in the House and Senate have reintroduced multiple pieces of gun control legislation. The bills would make most gun transfers unlawful if a background check is not completed and extend the time that law enforcement officers have to complete a background check from three to 10 days.

Tags:News, Second Amendment, Montana, Firearms, Greg Gianforte, Gun Violence, Gun Control, Biden Administration

Original Author:Carly Ortiz-Lytle

Original Location:Montana becomes Second Amendment sanctuary, joining growing number of states fighting federal gun laws

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

I wonder how many more states will do similar laws?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

A whole bunch of them.  Montana is on a roll lately.  Protecting gun rights and religious liberty which I seeded on today.  They also added conceal carry w/o permit as well.  Here’s another perspective on the 2A law there.  
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/montana-governor-signs-bill-to-protect-second-amendment-from-federal-gun-restrictions

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

I think it will come down to a split between red and blue controlled states. I personally hope my home state of Arizona and many more do.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

If local LE can't enforce the law(s), then send in Federal Marshals to do the job.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1  bbl-1  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    3 years ago

Nah.  Just cut off their welfare deposits and food stamps.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.2  Tacos!  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    3 years ago
If local LE can't enforce the law(s), then send in Federal Marshals to do the job.

The last president tried that. His decision was characterized in politics and media as some kind of constitutional crisis. He was compared to Hitler for it. The federal officers were called “stormtroopers.”

I guess it’d be ok now, though. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3  bbl-1    3 years ago

Yay.  The gun brings the only freedom they'll ever need.

Montana, the land of the scrabble rock and home to the scrabble men.

May the 'deity from far above' keep the guns well oiled and the scrabble sand out of the ejection mechanisms.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4  Mark in Wyoming     3 years ago

I think a lot of "gun control advocates" are missing the point here .

What this is actually saying AND doing is if the feds want to TRY and enforce their laws , they will be doing so without state or local  assistance , so it will be up to the feds alphabet agencies ( which are extremely outnumbered no matter what state they go into) to try and do the job, hopefully they have their affairs in order beforehand.  Im stocking up on popcorn later .

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4    3 years ago

Sounds about right.

After all, aren't states allowed to refuse to do the jobs of federal agencies?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    3 years ago
After all, aren't states allowed to refuse to do the jobs of federal agencies?

I personally think thats an issue thats going to come back and bite many in the ass, if it hasnt already.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    3 years ago

Yeah, but only when the feds allow it! That's the big problem with state's rights issues.