╌>

Lawyers, students want Kentucky Derby favorite barred from race

Category:  Sports

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  11 comments

By:   John Bowden (TheHill)

Lawyers, students want Kentucky Derby favorite barred from race
Kentucky-based human rights activists are calling for the ruler of Dubai, United Arab Emirates Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed, to be barred from entering a horse in the Kentucky Derby over allegations that he is imprisoning his own daughter.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Kentucky-based human rights activists are calling for the ruler of Dubai, United Arab Emirates Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed, to be barred from entering a horse in the Kentucky Derby over allegations that he is imprisoning his own daughter.

A complaint with the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission obtained this week by The New York Times calls for Mohammed to be disinvited from participating in the race until his daughter, Sheikha Latifa bint Mohammed al-Maktoum, is released from custody.

Sheikha Latifa has been absent from public view since her disappearance in 2018, when she was taken into custody in a joint operation by Emirati and Indian authorities on a yacht in international waters.

The complaint, sent by law students and professors at the University of Louisville, called for Sheikh Mohammed to be barred from the Derby as well as the overall Kentucky horse-racing scene.

"The Horse Racing Commission must also use its authority to end his involvement in Kentucky horse racing, at least until Princess Latifa is free of captivity," read the complaint, according to the Times.

Sheikh Mohammed's horse, Essential Quality, is currently the 2:1 favorite to win the race, according to oddsmakers.

The Hill has reached out to the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission for comment.

Other human rights activists also told the Times that the UAE's leader should be ostracized.

"His behavior is beyond the pale," Kenneth Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch, added to the newspaper. "He should be persona non grata at these big events."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

The chances of the Prime Minister's horse being barred are close to zero.

The internal affairs of the UAE have no place in the Grand Game of Horseracing.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

In a related story, Belmont Park in New York is opening to the public:

Following the issuance of detailed racetrack health and safety protocols by New York State, the New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) today announced that Belmont Park will re-open to a limited number of spectators on Saturday, May 1.

In accordance with New York State requirements, spectators must purchase track admission in advance and adhere to strict health and safety protocols designed to mitigate the risk of COVID-19.

“NYRA has been working collectively toward this goal since the start of the pandemic and we are thrilled to be able to welcome fans back to Belmont Park,” said NYRA President & CEO Dave O'Rourke. “We thank our fans for their loyalty and support over this challenging year and look forward to the spring and summer ahead.”

In order to enter Belmont Park, in accordance with New York State requirements, all ticketed spectators must submit proof of a completed vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test result.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago
"The internal affairs of the UAE have no place in the Grand Game of Horseracing."

It's refreshing to see an American voice that attitude - but we all know that such attitude doesn't seem to apply when it comes to internal affairs of other nations.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    3 years ago

we all know that such attitude doesn't seem to apply when it comes to internal affairs of other nations.

[deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    3 years ago

Now, now, Buzz....I know you are a patriot.

I'd be a lot more vocal on that subject if it wasn't for our friendship.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.2    3 years ago

That's okay, you made your point by thumbing up a CoC violation.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.3    3 years ago

Yesterday you had to call somebody to take down a comment after you had made a worse one.

I haven't forgotten.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.4    3 years ago

What was worse about mine?  I didn't post a personal insult.  And I don't call, I flag CoC violations, which is my right.  And your shot at me now, using the word "you" could be flagged by me as well, but since you're a friend I don't want to see you build up enough violations to be suspended.  I just went through a month without a violation point - because I DON'T insult other members personally.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.5    3 years ago
What was worse about mine?

You turned to another and said "what do you expect from a Trump supporter?"  I flagged that and it got allowed by an outside moderator before I could get to it.  You instigated the response that came and you ran to a tool of the left to get the outcome you wanted.

When you are wrong you're wrong!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.6    3 years ago

Yep, I should be punished for a truthful generalization, even though I was not being specific.  I don't waste my time flagging (which you call "running to someone") unless IMO a CoC violation has been committed against me.  The only time I DO "run to someone" is when I feel that I've been unfairly penalized, even though the mods will probably tell you that most of the time I have told them that I agreed with them for having done the right thing.  That's something I bet a lot of members don't have the balls to admit, but they're good at bitching about the moderation. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I have a feeling this is a non story to all but devotees of right wing causes such as complaining about "human rights activists". 

The race will go on with barely a ripple. 

If the crown prince of Saudi Arabia can have a critic dismembered with no repercussions from the American government I imagine that the Prime Minister of the UAE can kidnap his own daughter without losing his right to run a horse in the Kentucky Derby.