╌>

Mitt Romney Heavily Booed at Utah Republican Convention

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  13 comments

By:   Ken Meyer (Mediaite)

Mitt Romney Heavily Booed at Utah Republican Convention
Senator Mitt Romney got a very disapproving reception on Saturday as he was about to speak with Republicans at the Utah GOP convention.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Ken MeyerMay 1st, 2021, 7:49 pm

Senator Mitt Romney (R-UT) got a very disapproving reception on Saturday as he was about to speak with Republicans at the Utah GOP convention.

The incident occurred when Romney appeared before Republican delegates at the Maverik Center, and he led by asking "what did you think of President Biden's first 100 days?" The senator offered his thanks to people in attendance, but he was overwhelmingly booed by the majority of the crowd.

Romney decided to ignore the boos and start his speech and saying "now you know me as a person who that says what he thinks, and I don't hide the fact that I wasn't a fan of our last president's character issues." Of course, Romney was one of the most prominent conservative critics of Donald Trump, which was underlined by the fact that he voted to impeach the former president twice.

The jeers kept coming for Romney, and The Salt Lake Tribune reports that shouts of "traitor" and "communist" were among the insults flung at the senator. He paused his speech as he took in the booing before telling someone "aren't you embarrassed?"

Shortly after, Utah GOP chairman Derek Brown walked up to Romney, took over the podium and admonished the booers.

"Please," he said, "show respect."

Romney thanked Brown, and he carried on by offering his disagreements with President Joe Biden, but also defending himself from inner-party critics.

"You can boo all you like," Romney said. "I've been a Republican all of my life. My dad was the governor of Michigan and I was the Republican nominee for president in 2012."

The Salt Lake Tribune also reported later in the day that Utah Republicans held a vote on whether to censure Romney for his Trump impeachment votes. The motion failed, but it ended with a narrow vote of 711 for the censure and 798 against it.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

"........I wasn't a fan of our last president's character issues."

That brought down a crescendo of boos. I guess Utah Republicans then are fans of lying , cheating, jackassing, etc. 

Where is their religion? 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Christians, so completely expected.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

The man had the courage and conviction to stand against what was clearly wrong, and he was booed and heckled.  How lovely to live in a country where positive quality traits are considered disadvantages.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.2    3 years ago

mitt didn't possess enough alt-family values.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    3 years ago

An illustration of how badly Trump has divided the party.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

reports that shouts of "traitor"

Those R's that shouted that are the real traitors because they kissed the ass of a true traitor for four years and are still doing it.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5  Hallux    3 years ago

I have no issue with present day 'republicans' forming circular firing squads and aiming inwards ... I am surprised that they have swallowed and made their own the worst tendencies of democrats.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6  TᵢG    3 years ago

The Trump parasite is still attached and is still infecting the R party.   Until they rid themselves of Trump and heal themselves of the infection they will be a divided, minority party.    

Find a replacement for Trump and move on.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    3 years ago

You can’t please everybody all the time. I’m sure Romney holds several positions I would disagree with. Nevertheless, he seems like he’s basically a decent person. That should be all the more obvious in the way that he has risked his political career by being so critical of Trump. Unfortunately for him, that hasn’t been enough to get him elected to national office.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
8  Ronin2    3 years ago

Seems the left have a very short term memory of how they treated Romney when he ran for president.  Jokes on his religion, heritage, and even Harry Reid blatantly lying about Romney's tax returns.

The left still doesn't love Romney; they just like that he is anti-Trump. That places him slightly above other Republicans and Conservatives.

As for Romney being a Republican. He is a member of the Republican Party; and that is about it at this point. His failed presidential run; hard anti-Trump stance (remember when he desperately wanted to be Trump's SoS? No sour grapes there I am sure); and turning his back on fellow Republicans- he is definitely as RINO as they get.

Romney is the man w/o a party. He just isn't smart enough to realize it.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
8.1  Gazoo  replied to  Ronin2 @8    3 years ago

The Left did the same thing with mccain. He was a nazi racist xenophobic piece of shit when he ran against bama. But when he came out against trump he was a hero blahblahblah. I don’t think the left has any idea how stupid they look.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @8    3 years ago

Unless he resigns or even more unlikely is recalled or impeached, Mitt will still be a Senator until at least 01/03/2024.

Our opinions of him matter little to the former Governor & Bishop, I am certain.

And like it or not, as vote # 50, you had better hope he continues to vote R.