╌>

'Slaves loved their masters': GOP women's club president defends lawmaker's pro-slavery comments - Raw Story - Celebrating 17 Years of Independent Journalism

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  3 years ago  •  22 comments

By:   Raw Story - Celebrating Years of Independent Journalism

'Slaves loved their masters': GOP women's club president defends lawmaker's pro-slavery comments - Raw Story - Celebrating 17 Years of Independent Journalism
The president of the Woman's Republican Club of New Orleans this week defended a lawmaker from her party who believes that schools should teach the "good" of slavery.In a post to Facebook on Sunday, Martha Huckabay -- a former delegate for Donald Trump -- lashed out at a CNN segment which criticized...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Facebook/Martha Huckabay

The president of the Woman's Republican Club of New Orleans this week defended a lawmaker from her party who believes that schools should teach the "good" of slavery.

In a post to Facebook on Sunday, Martha Huckabay -- a former delegate for Donald Trump -- lashed out at a CNN segment which criticized Louisiana state Rep. Ray Garofalo (R-LA), who said that children should learn "about everything dealing with slavery, the good, the bad, the ugly."

Huckabay took issue with GOP state Rep. Stephanie Hilferty after she criticized Garofalo.

"You are right Stephanie Hilferty 'none of us were around when slavery occurred,'" Huckabay wrote. "Slavery goes all they way back to biblical times, and if you've read your Bible, you would know that many of the slaves loved their masters, and their masters loved them, and took very good care of them, and their families."

She continued: "The question he should have pushed back her way was was their [sic] marriages in slavery? Were families and precious babies born (and I am talking about LIFE itself) into or out of slavery? Were slave owners ever known to be 'GOOD' to their slaves? Were slaves ever known to LOVE their masters?"

Huckabay went on to suggest "that some slaves never wanted to leave theIr plantation because it had become their home."

"We need to STOP allowing liberals that have been indoctrinated through marxisum [sic] run our House and Senate," she added. "These people do not see threw [sic] clear lenses. Their views are scued [sic] and very one sided. Slavery has been around since before Jesus Christ came to take away the sins of the world. Today's 'slavery' topic is a leftist trap! It is neither true nor based on real facts."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    3 years ago

The gop continues their outreach to minority voters...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    3 years ago

This is a good example of the ignorance and bigotry of the Christian right. Yes, there was a school of thought in the antebellum period that claimed slavery was beneficent to the slaves and slaves were happy. This was a rationalization that slaveowners used to justify the crimes against humanity they were committing. 

The fact that someone in 2021 would use this rationalization is just proof of how incredibly ignorant some of these people are. 

Veronica
Professor Guide
3  Veronica    3 years ago
"We need to STOP allowing liberals that have been indoctrinated through marxisum [sic] run our House and Senate," she added. "These people do not see threw [sic] clear lenses. Their views are scued [sic] and very one sided. Slavery has been around since before Jesus Christ came to take away the sins of the world. Today's 'slavery' topic is a leftist trap! It is neither true nor based on real facts."

The miscues in this paragraph show her to be an ignorant person.  Just because it was around before their beloved Messiah does not make it right.  Would she be so keen if it had been HER family that was chained beaten, bred and raped?  People like this drive me batty.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Veronica @3    3 years ago

Love the phonic spelling of Marxism.  Really adds a level of sophistication to her argument. jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Veronica
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Veronica  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.1    3 years ago

The use of "threw" got me the most.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.1    3 years ago

She's an example of a good Southern education

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  Freefaller  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.1    3 years ago

Lol I was more a fan of "scued"

devangelical
Professor Principal
4  devangelical    3 years ago

just more proof not enough white supremacists ended up taking dirt naps during/after the war.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @4    3 years ago

GOP and those who ended slavery:

"Sorry we didn't kill more of you when we kicked your asses"

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  devangelical @4    3 years ago

Sadly true, frankly the north went too easy on the south IMO. But oh well, what’s done is long since done.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  devangelical @4    3 years ago

At least they managed to make themselves easier to spot with their MAGA hats....

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     3 years ago

She seems to be a graduate of Trump University so her being a delegate is expected. 

Ah yes, all the good things about slavery, free room and board I suppose tops the list for her. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

I wonder how keen she would be to get herself and family into slavery. I mean, the perks must outweigh the negatives right? 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    3 years ago

After recently ( and for the first time ) reading Harriet Beecher Stow's, "Uncle Tom's Cabin," published in 1852, I can understand the complexities of those times, coupled with the ingrained economics in the Southern Antebellum Society.

Times have changed.  To fast forward to the 21st Century and the recent so called conservative summations of non-apology for Slavery it is even more clear for me to understand and comprehend how it was possible for the Nazis to change and control the national politic in 1930s Germany.  This is not ignorance, this is a plan and a platform to de-democratize America and set the stage for an Autocracy.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8  Ed-NavDoc    3 years ago

Some seriously deluded individuals running around the South!

evilone
Professor Guide
8.1  evilone  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @8    3 years ago

There are deluded individuals everywhere we turn these days. The internet only magnifies the problem.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @8    3 years ago

Hell, I've seen confederate flags fly in Pennsylvania....and if I recall my history correctly, was firmly on the side of the Union during the War of Southern Rebellion

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.2.1  bbl-1  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.2    3 years ago

Several years ago in Pennsylvania, went to an area called The Beaver Dam.  Very rural, very old.  Had a brick red church next to the cemetery.  Saw five graves next to each other, all of them very young men, all of them died on July 1-3, 1863.  These were young men from that area, mustered and sent to Gettysburg.  I can not imagine the grief and heartache of those times for those people.

Confederate flags in Pennsylvania.  Honestly.  WTF.  MAGA and all the rest.   

Gsquared
Professor Principal
9  Gsquared    3 years ago

Another example of why today's Republican Party poses such a great danger to the American way of life.

JBB
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Gsquared @9    3 years ago

And, an example of why voters are fleeing the gop!

JBB
Professor Principal
10  seeder  JBB    3 years ago

Is it any wonder that the once Grand Old Party of Abraham Lincoln is now known merely as the gop?

Small g, rhymes with flop and slop. We gotta stop!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
10.1  bbl-1  replied to  JBB @10    3 years ago

Does Putin have the tgop by the shorthairs?