╌>

Every Eye Is Upon Me: First Ladies of the United States

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  hallux  •  3 years ago  •  6 comments

By:   Assorted

Every Eye Is Upon Me: First Ladies of the United States
“Every Eye Is Upon Me: First Ladies of the United States,” is the first major exhibition to explore the historical significance of this prominent position through the mode of portraiture

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Bess Truman, US first lady from 1945 until 1953, has not become the sort of historical figure people quote on Instagram. “A woman’s public role is to sit beside her husband, be silent, and be sure her hat is on straight,” she said, even though, behind the scenes, she was nicknamed “the Boss” and wrote many of President Truman’s speeches.

Such anecdotes permeate Every Eye Is on Me, a new exhibition of first lady portraiture at the National Portrait Gallery in Washington DC, which tracks the development of the role from the early 19th century to the present. The portraits, which range from Martha Washington’s detached stare and frilled bonnet to Melania Trump’s soft-focus smise, aim to examine “the way these women were framed”. The show is also part of an effort “to help rectify the absences of women in US history,” according to its curator, Gwendolyn DuBois Shaw.

These early first ladies were often very ambitious. “I was struck by how many of these women were smarter than their husbands,” says DuBois Shaw, “but, because of women’s secondary position, had to attach themselves to a man who could take them where they wanted from to go.” Mary Lincoln, for example, “was very interested in politics. But she can’t run so she finds a guy who also wants to go places and tries to partner with him.” This was no easy ride, of course. Being opinionated and outspoken, says DuBois Shaw “she was constantly thwarted by sexism. She develops a reputation as being a difficult woman.”

The question of whether the first lady should verbalise her opinions has reverberated through the ages. Eleanor Roosevelt, for example, had a newspaper column, a weekly radio address and published more than 40 books over her lifetime. Her portrait, in which she is theatrically lit like a screwball heroine, and symbolically holds a pencil, brings this to life.

N.B. This article is drawn from 2 sources:

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2020/dec/03/from-martha-washington-to-melania-trump-250-years-of-first-lady-portraiture

https://npg.si.edu/exhibition/every-eye-upon-me-first-ladies-united-states

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

I tripped into this via: ‘It’s hard to look at’: Donald Trump makes National Portrait Gallery debut'

Hallux
PhD Principal
2  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

Alas a new passport would be required for me to gawk and gaze at these ladies who stood assuredly behind their men. Men who tried to look as resolute as their desk.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 years ago

Great article, I would call it, ''The Power Behind the Resolute Desk''.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

Not the article I intended to seed, but as you know, the interweb is really a never ending highway of circular exit ramps ... fortunately it comes with a beam-me-back-home button.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4  Perrie Halpern R.A.    3 years ago

Wow, really interesting stuff there! I am a big fan of Abagail Adams, so I was really pleased they mentioned her since she gets forgotten in history so often. 

Hallux
PhD Principal
4.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4    3 years ago

Never heard of her ... but then she's never heard of me. Phew, I'm finally on even footing.