╌>

Arrest Warrant Issued For Boy, 9, Accused Of Stealing Gum

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  15 comments

POST FALLS, Idaho (AP) - An Idaho prosecutor issued an arrest warrant for a 9-year-old boy who failed to show up in court.

KHQ-TV reports that the boy from Post Falls is accused of stealing a pack of gum. Police Chief Scott Haug says it's the first time in his 30 years in law enforcement that he's ever seen an arrest warrant for someone that young.

Haug says the child missed court because relatives had no way of getting him to the courthouse.

Kootenai County prosecutor Barry McHugh says the warrant was issued because the boy twice failed to appear. He says he can't comment further because the case involves someone younger than 18.

The child is currently in the Juvenile Detention Center. http://www.lex18.com/story/27823122/arrest-warrant-issued-for-boy-9-accused-of-stealing-gum

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

Haug says the child missed court because relatives had no way of getting him to the courthouse.

Call a friend, relative or neighbor or a taxito get a lift to the Court House.

Nona62
Professor Silent

The judge's action was a bit over the wall if you ask me. I agree!

Nona62
Professor Silent

I agrere....the boy certainly can't drive himself to the Court House!

Nona62
Professor Silent

That's for sure...

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    9 years ago

I'm a bit divided on this one.

Post Falls, Idaho is a little over 14 square miles in size, and has approximately 29,000 residents. 90% suburban/10% rural. This kid probably lives in town and could have perhaps walked orpedaled his little biketo the courthouse, but let's face it: A ride would have been dandy. Heck, I bet if he had called the police department andinformed them of his no ride predicament,a solution would have presented itself.

However, and from a legal standpoint, his parents or guardian should have been the ones with the responsibilityof insuring his appearance in court on the appropriate day, and at the appropriatetime. In addition, any document that may have contained a promise to appear (like a speeding ticket where one has to sign and therefore acknowledgethe'Promise to Appear'agreement),could not be considered a binding agreement becausehis age would prevent him from legally entering into such an agreement on his own. Along those same lines, the court hearing could not have commenced withoutan adultrepresenting the interests of the child.

That said, I can't help but wonder if perhaps he was the up-and-coming village ne'er do well that needed a bit of a scary wake-up call.Why else would such a drastic measure bean appropriate response to a Juicy Fruit heist?

Also,his parents or guardianmight have hadarrest warrants themselves and knew theywould be risking their own freedom if they showed up at the court house.Maybe it isn't about a lousy pack of gum, but rather a law enforcement interest in amore worth-whiletarget, and the kid is the bait.

Good grief, could I be any blabbier?

Nona62
Professor Silent

That said, I can't help but wonder if perhaps he was the up-and-coming village ne'er do well that needed a bit of a scary wake-up call. hmm...I didn't think of that..thanks!

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol....No, not at all.Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

Either that, or he's just a jerk.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Is thata nice way of saying he's full of shit? Pretty muchSmile.gif