╌>

University assistant dean defends critical race theory: 'All White people are racist'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  51 comments

By:   Michael Lee (MSN)

University assistant dean defends critical race theory: 'All White people are racist'
Brandeis University Assistant Dean of Graduate Student Affairs Kate Slater defended the teaching of critical race theory, saying, "All White people are racist."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Brandeis University Assistant Dean of Graduate Student Affairs Kate Slater defended the teaching of critical race theory, saying, "All White people are racist."

© Provided by Washington Examiner

"Yes, all White people are racist in that all White people have been conditioned in a society where one's racial identity determines life experiences/outcomes and Whiteness is the norm and the default. That includes me!" Slater said in a Saturday Instagram post.

Slater also made sure to clarify that while she doesn't "hate White people," she does hate "Whiteness."

Her comments come as debate rages across the country about the teaching of critical race theory, which several states have now either banned or have proposed legislation to ban in public schools.

"'Debates' about critical race theory," Slater said, "are often straw men for debates about whether or not systemic racism is real. And no number of statistics or facts that I could offer are going to convince people to 'see' systemic racism if they don't want to."

But critical race theory has faced fierce opposition from Republicans, with Rep. Burgess Owens saying that school officials who push the theory should be fired.

"Fire them. Get rid of them," said Owens, who is black and grew up in the Jim Crow South. "That ideology is against everything we believe in. We need to fire everyone we can find, and those we will fire, later on, we'll figure out a way to get rid of them, too."

Slater also maintains a website that describes her as "a White anti-racist scholar and educator."

"Her doctoral research centers the experiences of underrepresented minorities students in higher education, and in particular, at predominantly White institutions," the website adds. "She also investigates White racial identity formation and how racism operates individually, organizationally, and systemically. She leads facilitations, trainings, and affinity groups with K-12 institutions and universities, as well as with numerous private organizations."

Tags:News, Critical Race Theory, Black Lives Matter, College

Original Author:Michael Lee

Original Location:University assistant dean defends critical race theory: 'All White people are racist'

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

Now, haven't many of our woke, progressive friends been claiming that CRT doesn't teach that all whites are racists?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 years ago

Stay on topic. Republicans and Bezos and Trump are not the topics here.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Kathleen @1.1.2    3 years ago

Nicer than some, and not as nice as others, but thank you!

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

Well look at that, you found one that does.

And Owens, the Rep from Utah where CRT is not taught, what do you say about him?

"That ideology is against everything we believe in. We need to fire everyone we can find, and those we will fire, later on, we'll figure out a way to get rid of them, too."

(that's some kinda woke stuff he's spouting)

[This comment stands.  It is literally a quote from the article and question about said quote, and is therefore on topic.]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @1.2    3 years ago

Owens isn't the topic.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1.2    3 years ago

cancel culture.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2.3  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.1    3 years ago

He's not?

"But critical race theory has faced fierce opposition from Republicans, with Rep. Burgess Owens saying that school officials who push the theory should be fired."

"Fire them. Get rid of them," said Owens, who is black and grew up in the Jim Crow South. "That ideology is against everything we believe in. We need to fire everyone we can find, and those we will fire, later on, we'll figure out a way to get rid of them, too."

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @1.2.3    3 years ago

No, he is not.

I don't know where people get the idea that the topic is something only briefly (only 2 paragraphs) mentioned.

Seems like we all learned how to determine subjects in school.

That is like saying the well is the topic in this sentence:

"The brown fox injured his leg while running towards a bear near the well."

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2.5  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.4    3 years ago

The 'well' is not offered up as a counterpoint.

Owens was.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.6  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @1.2.5    3 years ago

I remain sorry you can't tell what the topic is.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.2.7  Sunshine  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.4    3 years ago

😆 

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2.8  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.6    3 years ago

In that case neither can the author. Blame him.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2.9  Greg Jones  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.6    3 years ago

It's hard to stay on topic when trolling.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.10  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2.9    3 years ago

[Deleted]

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.11  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.4    3 years ago
I don't know where people get the idea that the topic is something only briefly (only 2 paragraphs) mentioned.

2 paragraphs of the seed is 25% of the content. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.12  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @1.2.11    3 years ago
2 paragraphs of the seed is 25% of the content. 

Stats can be misleading.

What percentage of the overall words in the article are in those two paragraphs?

Anyways, anyone who can't see what the topic is has my deepest sympathies.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.13  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.12    3 years ago

YOU set the parameter, now you want to change it. jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.14  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @1.2.13    3 years ago

I did not, but go on right ahead fantasizing.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.15  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.14    3 years ago

Yep, you did. Own it. 

Oh and 3 'paragraphs' of the seed are ONE sentence long and one of the 'paragraphs' is a direct quote from her website bio. 

So the bulk of the 'original' content is Owens opinion. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.16  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @1.2.15    3 years ago

You have much to learn about subjects.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.17  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.16    3 years ago

Not from you or your seed. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.18  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @1.2.17    3 years ago

Starting with "subjects".

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.19  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.18    3 years ago

You've switched from 'topic' to 'subject'. Why? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.20  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @1.2.19    3 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.21  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @1.2.19    3 years ago

why do you want to know?

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.22  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.21    3 years ago

Why are you answering a question with a question?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.23  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @1.2.22    3 years ago

Because I figured that was what the "question" was worth in the way of an answer.

Inane questions deserve at least that much consideration.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago
haven't many of our woke, progressive friends been claiming that CRT doesn't teach that all whites are racists?

First, one University Assistant Dean of Graduate Student Affairs made that comment, that doesn't mean CRT teaches "that all whites are racists".

Second, she codified that statement with the rest of the sentence, though few half wits desperate to attack CRT will likely listen. She said "Yes, all White people are racist in that all White people have been conditioned in a society where one's racial identity determines life experiences/outcomes and Whiteness is the norm and the default."

So in one singular way she defined, white people are racist, not in the larger meaning of the word that denotes open bigotry and prejudice, but "in that" meaning of all white people being born into privilege whether they recognize it or not. I never thought about the fact that I don't have retail store security following my every move, I took it for granted, and it wasn't until I went to the mall with some black friends in high school that I was witness to this racist reality. All CRT is teaching kids is that those disparities and realities do exist and it's better to be proactive about changing those prejudices than to just ignore them as "not my problem".

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.3    3 years ago

OIP._DSNd-a_LgmYURBCmtIwFwAAAA?pid=ImgDet&w=148&h=148&c=7&dpr=1.25

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3.2  Tacos!  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.3    3 years ago
She said "Yes, all White people are racist in that all White people have been conditioned in a society where one's racial identity determines life experiences/outcomes and Whiteness is the norm and the default."

She has no idea about my condition or life experience, nor is she in a position to speak for all white people or any other group. She’s full of shit.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.3.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.1    3 years ago

Thank you for visually displaying the likely reaction and thought process for those who have no fucking clue what CRT is and why they are desperately attacking it.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.3.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Tacos! @1.3.2    3 years ago
She has no idea about my condition or life experience, nor is she in a position to speak for all white people or any other group. She’s full of shit.

She doesn't have to know you, she only has to have examined our white-centric society that was built by and for white Christian males. To deny that reality and claim hundreds of years of privilege no longer apply simply because someone doesn't "feel" like they got any benefit from it is to be woefully ignorant of reality.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.5  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.3.3    3 years ago

And thank you, kind sir for displaying that you haven't been reading what I have posted.

Please quote my "attack" on CRT.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.3.6  Gazoo  replied to  Tacos! @1.3.2    3 years ago

“She’s full of shit.”

and so are the few half wits that defend her.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3.7  Tacos!  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.3.4    3 years ago
She doesn't have to know you

Yeah, that’s how stereotypes are made. That’s how prejudice endures.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3.8  Greg Jones  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.3    3 years ago

She includes ALL White people in her illogical assessment.

Her comment is absurd and not true,

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2  Ed-NavDoc    3 years ago

CRT is some of the biggest load of horse manure of this decade! I say this as someone who self describes ethnically from Heinz 57 to out and out mongrel! Slater is nothing more than a self hater seriously in need of psychotherapy!

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1  Dulay  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2    3 years ago
CRT is some of the biggest load of horse manure of this decade!

A 'decade' 2 whole years old. 

Oh and BTFW, CRT isn't new to this decade. It's been taught and studied for generations. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    3 years ago
Slater also made sure to clarify that while she doesn't "hate White people," she does hate "Whiteness."

I don’t hate stupid academics. I just hate stupidness.

WTF is “whiteness” supposed to be? And if you’re not sure if that’s racist or not, just substitute any other race for white and then lets get some “academic” to pontificate about what blackness or brownness is. Seriously, does anyone love to paint people with the broadest of brushes more than woke leftists?

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.1  Hallux  replied to  Tacos! @3    3 years ago

Woke rightists use the same brush.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Hallux @3.1    3 years ago

Do they? Where is the rightist college professor trying to teach everyone how all black people are?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @3.1.1    3 years ago

Silence, of course.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @3.1.1    3 years ago

Whiteness isn't about 'how all white people are'. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    3 years ago

A lot of "conservatives" dont want to change, so instead of changing themselves they will act like the "real" problem is critical race theory. 

The white viewpoint has been the default point of view in this country forever.  That will change and is changing as the demographics change. It is going to be a bumpy ride. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

There is a big difference between being born into a society in which systemic racism has conferred certain advantages to a specific race, and being racist. 

I prefer to be judged as an individual rather than as part of a group, especially when I had no say in being a member of said group.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

The overwhelming amount of CRT defenders have no idea what they are defending. They think it's about teaching kids that slavery existed and was horrible. Or that racism exists and is bad. 

It's not. It's about reaching kids to identify with their race and to oppose whiteness if they aren't white and to apologize and make reparations for their whiteness if they are white.  "Whiteness" is the default explanation for everything that is wrong with society.   It's essentially a conspiracy theory where all whites conspire to operate a system to hold down others. At least the this academic is honest about what it is. It's defenders rarely are.

And if you ever start to take  CRT seriously, look at which racial group is the highest earning in America. If you are rational, you'll see how preposterous the premise of CRT is. 

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
6.1  JumpDrive  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    3 years ago
It's about reaching kids to identify with their race and to oppose whiteness if they aren't white and to apologize and make reparations for their whiteness if they are white. "Whiteness" is the default explanation for everything that is wrong with society. 

No, not even close in either sentence. Critical Race Theory posits that race and racism are embedded in our laws and public policy, so they are still affecting the outcomes for people of color, and we, as a nation, should look at that. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
7  charger 383    3 years ago

What if a white Assistant dean had said something critical about blacks?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7.1  Ronin2  replied to  charger 383 @7    3 years ago

They would have been terminated instantly.