Via:  tessylo  •  3 years ago  •  26 comments

By:   Edward Helmore, The Guardian

New Michael Wolff book reports Trump’s confusion during Capitol attack

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

New Michael Wolff book reports Trump’s confusion during Capitol attack

7baabe932ba9ad805858ddff2a74d86c

Edward Helmore in New York

Mon, June 28, 2021, 10:17 AM

Donald Trump told supporters he would march on the Capitol with them on 6 January – then abandoned them after a tense exchange with his chief of staff, according to the first excerpt from Landslide, Michael Wolff’s third Trump White House exposé.

The   extract   was published by New York magazine. Wolff’s first Trump book, Fire and Fury, blew up a news cycle and created a whole new genre of salacious political books in January 2018, when the Guardian   revealed news of its contents .

That book was a   huge   bestseller. A sequel, Siege, also contained   bombshells   but fared less well. Wolff’s third Trump book is among a slew due this summer.

On 6 January, Congress met to confirm results of an election Trump lost conclusively to Joe Biden. Trump spoke to supporters outside the White House, telling them: “We’re going to walk down [to the Capitol to protest] – and I’ll be there with you.”

According to Wolff, the chief of staff, Mark Meadows, was reportedly approached by concerned Secret Service agents, who he told: “No. There’s no way we are going to the Capitol.”

Wolff, one of a number of authors to have interviewed Trump since he left power, writes that the chief of staff then approached Trump, who seemed unsure what Meadows was talking about.

“You said you were going to march with them to the Capitol,” Meadows reportedly said. “How would we do that? We can’t organize that. We can’t.”

“I didn’t mean it literally,” Trump reportedly replied.

Trump is also reported to have expressed “puzzlement” about the supporters who broke into the Capitol in a riot which led to five deaths and Trump’s second impeachment, for inciting an insurrection.

Wolff says Trump was confused by “who these people were with their low-rent ‘trailer camp’ bearing and their ‘get-ups’, once joking that he should have invested in a chain of tattoo parlors and shaking his head about ‘the great unwashed’.”

Trump and his family watched the attack on television at the White House.

As reported by Wolff, the exchange between Trump and Meadows sheds light on how the would-be insurrectionists were abandoned.

The White House, Wolff writes, soon realised Mike Pence had “concluded that he was not able to reject votes unilaterally or, in effect, to do anything else, beyond playing his ceremonial role, that the president might want him to do”.

Trump aide Jason Miller is portrayed as saying “Oh, shit” and alerting the president’s lawyer and chief cheerleader for his lie about electoral fraud, Rudy Giuliani.

Wolff writes that the former New York mayor was “drinking heavily and in a constant state of excitation, often almost incoherent in his agitation and mania”.

As the riot escalated – soon after Trump issued a tweet attacking the vice-president – aides reportedly pressed the president to command his followers to stand down.

Ivanka Trump, the president’s daughter and adviser, reportedly saw the assault on the Capitol as “an optics issue”. After an hour or so, Wolff writes, Trump “seemed to begin the transition from seeing the mob as people protesting the election – defending him so he would defend them – to seeing them as ‘not our people’”.

In a further exchange, Trump reportedly asked Meadows: “How bad is this? This looks terrible. This is really bad. Who are these people? These aren’t our people, these idiots with these outfits. They look like Democrats.”

Trump reportedly added: “We didn’t tell people to do something like this. We told people to be peaceful. I even said ‘peaceful’ and ‘patriotic’ in my speech!”

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago
Any protests BLM or otherwise, ARE OFF TOPIC
"On 6 January, Congress met to confirm results of an election Trump lost conclusively to Joe Biden. Trump spoke to supporters outside the White House, telling them: “We’re going to walk down [to the Capitol to protest] – and I’ll be there with you.”

According to Wolff, the chief of staff, Mark Meadows, was reportedly approached by concerned Secret Service agents, who he told: “No. There’s no way we are going to the Capitol.”

Wolff, one of a number of authors to have interviewed Trump since he left power, writes that the chief of staff then approached Trump, who seemed unsure what Meadows was talking about.

“You said you were going to march with them to the Capitol,” Meadows reportedly said. “How would we do that? We can’t organize that. We can’t.”

“I didn’t mean it literally,” Trump reportedly replied."

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

Trump is also reported to have expressed “puzzlement” about the supporters who broke into the Capitol in a riot which led to five deaths and Trump’s second impeachment, for inciting an insurrection.

Wolff says Trump was confused by “who these people were with their low-rent ‘trailer camp’ bearing and their ‘get-ups’, once joking that he should have invested in a chain of tattoo parlors and shaking his head about ‘the great unwashed’.”

Trump and his family watched the attack on television at the White House.

As reported by Wolff, the exchange between Trump and Meadows sheds light on how the would-be insurrectionists were abandoned.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

The White House, Wolff writes, soon realised Mike Pence had “concluded that he was not able to reject votes unilaterally or, in effect, to do anything else, beyond playing his ceremonial role, that the president might want him to do”.

Trump aide Jason Miller is portrayed as saying “Oh, shit” and alerting the president’s lawyer and chief cheerleader for his lie about electoral fraud, Rudy Giuliani.

Wolff writes that the former New York mayor was “drinking heavily and in a constant state of excitation, often almost incoherent in his agitation and mania”.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @3    3 years ago

So none of those boneheads knew that Pence couldn't do anything about the election results. Why am I not surprised? From day one everyone of them from trmp on down thought that being POTUS meant you were literally a dictator

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    3 years ago

you can see that from their attacks on biden. why doesn't he do this, why doesn't he do that, as if that POS obstructionist in the senate has had nothing to do with legislative gridlock for the last decade plus.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @3.1.1    3 years ago

I remember these guys from my senior year POD class. They were busy making plans for the weekend instead of participating in the discussion

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    3 years ago

Trump does not know the law or the constitution so his magats are just following his lead, as usual.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

In a further exchange, Trump reportedly asked Meadows: “How bad is this? This looks terrible. This is really bad. Who are these people? These aren’t our people, these idiots with these outfits. They look like Democrats.”

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5  Just Jim NC TttH    3 years ago

There is an awful lot of REPORTEDLY'S  in this article/book. Including this one.......

"Trump reportedly added: “We didn’t tell people to do something like this. We told people to be peaceful. I even said ‘peaceful’ and ‘patriotic’ in my speech!”

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5    3 years ago

“We didn’t tell people to do something like this. We told people to be peaceful. I even said ‘peaceful’ and ‘patriotic’ in my speech!”

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

So you believe everything trumpturd says?  No one should believe ANYTHING trumpturd says.

That's on you JJ.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @5.1    3 years ago

If you believe the rest of the fucking book you have to believe that. See how easy that is?

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5    3 years ago

In the late afternoon of Jan 6th , after the rioting inside the capitol had been going on for two or three hours and Trump knew the extent of it, he made a tweet to his followers there, telling them to remember this day forever, like he was Mussolini or Napoleon or something. 

I dont know why we have to repeat these things hundreds of times. 

He knew what was going on and approved of it. 

Do conservatives need to be hit with a two by four upside the head to get this? 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2    3 years ago
In the late afternoon of Jan 6th , after the rioting inside the capitol had been going on for two or three hours and Trump knew the extent of it, he made a tweet to his followers there, telling them to remember this day forever, like he was Mussolini or Napoleon or something. 

I dont know why we have to repeat these things hundreds of times. 

He knew what was going on and approved of it.

Link available or I we to believe your "feeling" on the subject?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.2.1    3 years ago

Are you seriously telling me you are not aware of Trumps tweets on Jan 6th?

They were discussed here extensively let alone on other media. 

“These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously and viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly and unfairly treated for so long. Go home with love and in peace. Remember this day forever!” 'Remember this day': Trump BANNED after alarming tweet (yahoo.com)

Twitter banned him shortly after he made that tweet. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2    3 years ago

Those who end up in prison will certainly remember that day and I hope they choke on it along with Bubba's joy stick.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2.2    3 years ago

trumpturd said that hours after he incited his mob to 'storm the Capitol'  - 'It's a Revolution'!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5    3 years ago

Do you think that Pence could have overturned the election results? Apparently, trmp did and so did the insurrectionists

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.3.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.3    3 years ago

Pence was there to oversee the results only.  He had absolutely no power to overturn the count.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.3.1    3 years ago

The smart people know that but idiots like trmp and his cult followers don't seem to understand that

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    3 years ago

It’s really not that weird or mysterious. I wouldn’t have expected him to physically walk with the crowd. People say “I’m with you” or “I’ll be with you” all the time, but they mean “in spirit” not in body. It’s super common and has been for a long time. But because of politics, people will act like they never heard of such a thing now.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @6    3 years ago

Thanks for your usual trumpturdsplanation!

Yeah, we all knew that big fat disgusting pig slob wanna be dictator wasn't going to walk any further than a couple of yards.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    3 years ago

You try to quote the story, but you totally ignore the next line.

“I didn’t mean it literally,” Trump reportedly replied.

Just as I said. So what is your problem?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.1    3 years ago

Just as I said.  So what is your problem?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    3 years ago

He might have gone if someone told him that Pelosi was hoarding Big Macs and Diet Cokes in her office.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

I guess confusion is the new ignorance.

Hallux
PhD Principal
8  Hallux    3 years ago

Ears hear what they want to hear and eyes see what they want to see, noses are under no such compulsion ... believe your nose.