╌>

Historians rank Trump near bottom of U.S. presidents, Obama rises into top 10

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  35 comments

By:   Brenley Goertzen (Salon)

Historians rank Trump near bottom of U.S. presidents, Obama rises into top 10
Historians hold Trump in the lowest regard of any president since Reconstruction, according to a new survey

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Former President Donald Trump was ranked near the bottom of a new list by historians surveyed on who they believe the best U.S. presidents are, and received the lowest leadership grades of any commander-in-chief over the past 150 years.

It was Trump's first appearance on C-SPAN's Historians Survey of Presidential Leadership, with the one-term president ranked 41st out of America's 45 former executives.

Rated by a group of over 140 historians, the survey ranks former U.S. presidents on 10 different leadership qualities, such as "public persuasion," "international relations" and "crisis leadership." Since 2000, C-SPAN has taken the survey after every change in White House administration.

On Wednesday, C-SPAN tweeted that the 2021 survey saw a 50 percent increase in the number of historians participating, and a big jump in the diversity of respondents — as defined by demographic information such as race, gender, age and philosophy.

The results of this year's survey indicate the divergence between Trump's standing among academics and how his followers have viewed his presidency — historians hold him in the lowest regard of any president since Reconstruction, yet he continues to hold an iron grip on leadership of the GOP and remains a frontrunner for the 2024 Republican Party presidential nomination.

He is also the only president ever to be impeached twice by the House of Representatives.

The historians rated Trump as the worst president in history on two of 10 leadership qualities: "moral authority" and "administrative skills." His strongest grade is for "public persuasion," in which he was ranked No. 32.

Barack Obama, meanwhile, rose into the top 10, climbing from No. 12 in C-Span's 2017 survey.

In individual leadership categories, Obama was ranked in the top 10 overall for "moral authority" and "economic management," and ranked third in history for "pursued equal justice for all," behind only Lincoln and Johnson.

Other modern presidents with notable standings include Ronald Reagan, who ranked No. 9; Bill Clinton at No. 19; George H.W. Bush at No. 21 and George W. Bush at No. 29.

The only president forced to resign, Richard Nixon, is rated No. 31— ten spots above Trump.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

E5InaS4XIAIKFuu?format=jpg&name=small

E5IluJjX0AcdSD1?format=jpg&name=small

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

First of all , there are only 44 presidents prior to Biden, not 45.  Grover Cleveland served non consecutive terms and is both the 22nd and 24th president.  

I thus assume Trump's ranking of 44th for Moral Authority puts him dead last. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago

Yeah it does, as it should be. The guy has absolutely no moral compass to speak of. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago

There's where trumpturd belongs, dead last.  He doesn't even deserve to be considered President as far as I'm concerned.  

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    3 years ago

Even total failures like James Buchanan and Andrew Johnson were better at being President than Trump.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

5 of the top ten are post ww2, 3 Democrats and 2 Republicans

Hallux
PhD Principal
5  Hallux    3 years ago

Damn those CRT historians!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    3 years ago
Historians hold Trump in the lowest regard of any president since Reconstruction, according to a new survey

Well, that's not very shocking..

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

These are always pretty funny. President fall 9 spots over four polls despite being dead. George W. Bush goes up 6 spots for no reason other than he's not President...

Recency and fame are the tickets to good rankings. Thomas Jefferson was not a particularly great President, but he's TJ so somehow he's seventh. Grant had a nice bio written of him, so he's moved up 13 spots this century. Polk, a much more accomplished President, didn't. So he's fallen 6 spots. 

The individual scores are just as bizarre. Obama  9th for public persuasion? McKinley 16th in foreign relations? That's laughable.  

Obama  oversaw two historic losses of Congressional seats for his party. Thanks to Obama,  the Republicans reached their highest level of nationwide offices in 100 years?  He's the only President  I believe to ever be reelected with a lower share of the vote.   The same  guy who of whom it was said that the more he talked about an issue, the worse it polled for him?  He's in the Top10 for persuasion? That's idiotic.  McKinley won a war and negotiated the Open Door policy with China, one of the great diplomatic triumphs of the 20th century, and he's 16th in foreign relations? Just asinine. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @7    3 years ago

Well at least you are smart enough not to dispute Trump's rankings. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    3 years ago

Maybe he’s implying that Trump will work his way into the top ten over time?  Lol.  Nope, Trump will forever be the anchor.

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @7.1.1    3 years ago

he needs to be handcuffed to an anchor, let your imagination complete that scenario...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @7.1.2    3 years ago

Another version of cement shoes!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @7    3 years ago

BTW, these rankings aren't too inconsistent with the presidential rankings we have been seeing for the last 3 or 4 decades. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8  bbl-1    3 years ago

If an honest, fair audit were performed on the 2016 vote the results would confirm that Trump did not win and thusly he was never the president under our Constitution.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.1  MrFrost  replied to  bbl-1 @8    3 years ago

If an honest, fair audit were performed on the 2016 vote the results would confirm that Trump did not win and thusly he was never the president under our Constitution.

Well he did claim many times the election was rigged, that's why he won. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @8    3 years ago

And I just LOVE all the proof you provided for that bogus claim!

Hell, maybe they'd find votes in Helsinki!!!

Gazoo
Junior Silent
8.2.1  Gazoo  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2    3 years ago

I’m waiting for the resident non-partisan to start demeaning him for making such a claim. Should start anytime now lol.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.2.2  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2    3 years ago

Everything the MAGAs claim occurred in 2020 happened in 2016.  The Trump factions were assured by Putin at Helsinki that the systems were still in place and not discovered.  Neither Trump nor Putin knew that the NSA, CIA and FBI compromised and nullified the Russian/Saudi infiltrations.

Helsinki is going to take 'The Man From Mar-a-Lago' down and Putin's autocracy is going down with him.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @8.2.2    3 years ago

[deleted]

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.2.4  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2    3 years ago

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.2.5  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2    3 years ago

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.2.6  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2    3 years ago

Let me guess, he never said the election was rigged? I can do this all day...

"This whole election is being rigged!!!!!"

And he won.. So, by his own argument, he won a rigged election. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @8.2.4    3 years ago

You should read the questions twice before responding.

That way your response may be on topic and actually attempt to answer what was asked.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.2.8  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2.7    3 years ago
Well he did claim many times the election was rigged, that's why he won. 

I said that he claimed the election was rigged. Did I not? Yes, I did, in fact here, is exactly what I said. 

Well he did claim many times the election was rigged

Did he claim that the election was rigged? Yes, he did. I proved my claim, three times now. Spin all you want. End of conversation. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @8.2.8    3 years ago

You simply aren't following the conversation very well.

Better luck next time.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.3  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @8    3 years ago

So Biden was complicit with fraud in certifying Trump's win?

LOL!!!!

What a s-t-r-e-t-c-h!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.4  TᵢG  replied to  bbl-1 @8    3 years ago

???   What is the supporting evidence for this?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.5  Tessylo  replied to  bbl-1 @8    3 years ago

I so agree with that bbl-1.  I don't think he should be considered as our president at all.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @8.5    3 years ago
I so agree with that bbl-1.  I don't think he should be considered as our president at all.  

That's just your feelings. No basis in fact, or of course I know you would have posted one.

Trump was your President, like it or not.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.5.2  TᵢG  replied to  Tessylo @8.5    3 years ago

I am very curious about this.   What leads one to think that Hillary actually won the election in terms of electoral votes?

The 2020 election was contested more than any election in my lifetime (probably more than any election in our history).   Not a shred of evidence has resulted that would have changed the results of the election.   Biden, clearly, was legitimately elected PotUS.   Thus this incessant claim by the die-hard Trump sycophants that Trump won in 2020 is just over-the-top ridiculous.

Similarly, in 2016, unless there is persuasive, reliable evidence to the contrary, Trump was legitimately elected PotUS.

While it was extremely undesirable to have Trump representing our nation as PotUS, that does not change the fact that —based on the evidence thus far— he legitimately won in 2016.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.5.3  bbl-1  replied to  TᵢG @8.5.2    3 years ago

Seems that way-----except----in 2016 Clinton conceded, nothing was questioned and the general attitude was, "He won, get over it."  Remember?

In 2020 none of that happened.  So, the question is why.  Is there a fear among the American right wing and their foreign enablers that if the truth were discovered their lot in life would become more than simply precarious?  Or even worse?

Many things happened at Helsinki and thus far nobody knows any of it except Trump, Putin and the Russians in the room.  Although there was one American woman, a stenographer/interpreter who was also present.  The same woman that Trump took her notepad and ordered her silence on what occurred in that room by presidential edict.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.5.4  TᵢG  replied to  bbl-1 @8.5.3    3 years ago

Quite a few of us naturally are challenging the Trump sycophants who claim Trump is the legitimate PotUS to deliver evidence.   That demand for evidence logically would also apply to a claim that Hillary won the EC in 2016. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9  Tessylo    3 years ago

206984326_4520219437999886_245794886837287940_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=Ozu7ld5PLkgAX-nU9uq&tn=ddyv9WRSVi2y4Anp&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=e12aeede1015a5e791cdbfb5454d2226&oe=60E2C3E3

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
10  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

With the Trump Org going down, maybe we can finally scrape the Trump gum off of our shoes once and for all.  I would love to see Trump on a freeway exit with a sign....HOMELESS AND WILL LIE FOR FOOD.