╌>

The Democrats are stuck with Kamala Harris, like it or not

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  24 comments

By:   Keith Naughton (MSN)

The Democrats are stuck with Kamala Harris, like it or not
The structural and personal cracks are starting to appear.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

For vice president, Kamala Harris checked all the boxes. But just because she made perfect political sense as President Biden's running mate did not mean her elevation would work out for the Democrats. So far, the reviews are not good. But, barring a political Chernobyl, the Democratic Party is stuck with her as its nominee in 2024 or 2028.

Readers of this column know that I predicted Harris would be Biden's running mate well in advance of the Democratic convention. As VP nominations are mostly about unifying the party, an old white male moderate could only fully placate the progressive leftist factions of the Democratic Party by covering as many identity politics bases as possible. Not to mention, Harris, clearly plotting her path to the ticket, played nice with Biden after she dropped out.

But now the structural and personal cracks are starting to appear.

Given Biden's age - entering the White House as the oldest man ever to be president - Harris and her team had reason to suspect that his time in office would be a one-term transition to her own future administration. Harris would want to have serious responsibilities and an ever-increasing profile. Not factoring into that neat equation is that Biden and his loyalists did not spend the last 40 years slogging and scheming their way into power just to hand it over to a newcomer.

The other wrench in Harris's plans is her lack of national experience. Outside of calling Biden out on school busing, the Harris presidential campaign was lackluster at best. She spent her political life in the monoculture of California with her San Francisco base rigidly politically correct, even by California standards. Attempting to appeal to the rest of the country was always going to be a problem.

Less than six months into office and these problems are manifesting themselves.

The knives are out, and whether it is elements of Team Biden throwing a shot across the bow or other Democrats unhappy with Harris's heir-apparent status, it's unmistakable that an effort to diminish Harris is underway.

And Harris is providing plenty of ammunition for her detractors.

Her big policy responsibility, immigration, has been a mess. Her lengthy refusal to visit the border was a bad move, but her explanation was worse. Claiming that any visit would be a worthless stunt ignores the fact that worthless stunts are the sine qua non of politics. Politicians are expected to visit disaster zones (whether natural or policy), make declarations and offer empathy. Harris and her team were just being obstinate in the face of Republican attacks instead of facing the music.

But maybe they were on to something, as her remarks both in Guatemala and to Lester Holt show someone with some fairly bad political instincts. Her admonition to Guatemalans ("Do not come!") may have seemed like a handy sound bite, but it angered pro-immigration activists in her own party and sounded laughably futile to Republicans. Worse was her flippant attitude to Holt. In a relatively easy interview, Harris managed to fumble the one modestly tough bit of questioning, dismissing calls to visit the border by stating she had not been to Europe - one of the worst ad libs since the days of Sarah Palin.

These gaffes and Harris's uneven performance in her debate with former Vice President Mike Pence call into question how she will do when she must carry the full weight of running for president. After all, the 2020 election was light work for Harris. Dominated by former President Trump and limited by the pandemic, Harris coasted largely under the radar - as did Biden, for that matter. Not having gone through the crucible of an intense campaign, a Harris run in 2024 would include some challenging on-the-job training.

In spite of these issues, Kamala Harris will be the first post-Biden nominee. It will be practically impossible to push the first female vice president to the back of the line.

Both parties are subject to identity politics. But for the Democrats, identity politics has become absolutely foundational. For their major donors, loudest activists and fellow travelers in the media, identity saturates everything. Replacing Harris would require a different female minority candidate. Aside from Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.) or Rep Val Demings (D-Fla.), is there another minority woman who has serious national aspirations?

Biden's appeal in 2020 was all about being the best chance to beat Trump - an anodyne party stalwart who could paper over the differences and factionalism of a Democratic Party that contains myriad squabbling interests and identities. Provided he is physically and mentally able (he will be 82 in 2024), Biden may well be the only Democrat who can hold the party together.

In addition, fear and loathing of Trump may force Team Biden to run a repeat of 2020. If Trump runs in 2024, Democrats have to face a hard reckoning as to whether Harris really has the mettle to win. For Harris to run and lose to Trump would be an indescribable disaster. Ironically, Trump himself faces the same dilemma - to lose twice in a row would be psychologically intolerable.

The best scenario for Republicans would be for Trump to fold, allowing a new GOP nominee to face an old Biden. For Democrats, the best scenario would be a rerun of 2020, to the frustration and exhaustion of most Americans.

Perhaps Harris will grow into her role, relieving Democrats of their anxiety. For now, it looks like her future is a throw of the dice in 2028.

Keith Naughton, Ph.D., is co-founder of Silent Majority Strategies, a public and regulatory affairs consulting firm. Naughton is a former Pennsylvania political campaign consultant. Follow him on Twitter @KNaughton711.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

Buyer's remorse for Democrats?

LOL!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

I'll take her over the last thumper Q-tip wimp that previously held the job.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 years ago
I'll take her

Well, of course you would!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

As far as I'm concerned her and the progressive and liberal Democrats more than deserve each other!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    3 years ago
As far as I'm concerned her and the progressive and liberal Democrats more than deserve each other!

That is certainly true.

Harris' ability to handle the stress of leading a ticket will be suspect at best after her dismal, failed Presidential nominee campaign.

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    3 years ago

Biden / Harris got elected without support from the racist sexist homophobic throwbacks in the gop...

No surprise that contingent thinks they're unpopular.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @2    3 years ago
Biden / Harris got elected without support from the racist sexist homophobic throwbacks in the gop...

Hilarious! And such earth-shattering news, too---imagine that--- Democrats winning without GOP support---just like Republicans win without Democratic support!!!

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.1.1  GregTx  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    3 years ago

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2  bugsy  replied to  JBB @2    3 years ago
Biden / Harris got elected without support from the racist sexist homophobic throwbacks in the gop

You're right.

They got elected by the support of the racist, sexist, homophobic that currently reside in the democratic party.....and also the gullible young people indoctrinated in our schools, especially colleges.

Many that voted for Biden because he was not Trump....no other reason.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  bugsy @2.2    3 years ago

Lol I like how everyone is “indoctrinated” EXCEPT if they hold opinions you agree with. I just cannot take people seriously who use words like that without really knowing what they mean.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    3 years ago
any visit would be a worthless stunt

As a component of a practical solution, I agreed with her. She said it would be dismissed as a photo op and that’s exactly what happened when she finally went down there. I do concede the following though: 

worthless stunts are the sine qua non of politics. Politicians are expected to visit disaster zones (whether natural or policy), make declarations and offer empathy.

It’s still dumb, but I guess you have to be willing to make empty gestures to be a successful politician. I don’t think I could do it.

GregTx
PhD Guide
3.1  GregTx  replied to  Tacos! @3    3 years ago

Of course some were going to dismiss it as merely a photo op no matter what. What's dumb is that she acted so mule headed that she had to be practically shamed into trying to appear to act like a leader.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @3    3 years ago

It’s part of the job, stupid as it is. I guess it’s more about the idea that your leaders are there and engaged rather than sitting off somewhere nice and cozy while you are suffering.

It is definitely better to be there and be useless but at least seem like you care, than to sit and be useless elsewhere and look like you don’t care at all from a political standpoint. And it can be something fo a moral booster for the people suffering I guess.

Bit no, in reality they aren’t really helping the situation. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.2    3 years ago

The thing for me is: I get it for a natural disaster like a hurricane or a flood or an earthquake. In that case, you have something really dramatic that just happened, and there’s actually something new to look at. The madness at the border has been going on for generations at this point. That’s why the idea that she might need to go inspect the border or that she could learn something new there seemed kind of absurd to me.

CB
Professor Principal
4  CB    3 years ago
In spite of these issues, Kamala Harris will be the first post-Biden nominee. It will be practically impossible to push the first female vice president to the back of the line.

THIS is why many people do not care for politics. Here we have some. . . jerks (calling them what they are) prognosticating on the 'outcome' of 2024 just in an early attempt to savage what they see as a 'vulnerable' female contender (and let's throw in, Asian Pacific Islander/Black since she is ethnically/racially affected (or "infected?)) for what they hope is a too 'fragile' presidential incumbent. 

Disgusting strategists, go to hell! My disgust for these kind of tactics is monumental!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4    3 years ago

I would bet that at least 75% of Republicans would love it if Ms. Harris is the nominee for President next election.

We have seen her campaign on a national stage for herself.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.1  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    3 years ago

The good news is her NEXT ELECTION is three years and months away. Besides, 75 percent of those you care about in conservatism are not truly conservatives anyway. By then, maybe a new Republican party will be emergent.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.1.1    3 years ago
The good news is her NEXT ELECTION is three years and months away.

Yep. Plenty of more chances to embarrass herself.

Besides, 75 percent of those you care about in conservatism are not truly conservatives anyway.

Are you clairvoyant?

CB
Professor Principal
5  CB    3 years ago

AAM1FrK.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=575&y=213

And a word about images. . . .  These so-called subtle, nuanced messages being sent by photos, in this case of a woman standing in an elevator conveys nothing. We do not know what V. P. Harris could have been thinking in that moment, or if she was thinking anything depressing, stressful, or in the very next instance gleeful. Image messaging is such bull patty.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  CB @5    3 years ago

Or, it could simply be a photo of the Vice President.

Seems like a petty grievance.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.1  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    3 years ago

I could photograph anybody looking 'downcast' in lightning quick fashion (or film it) and it could mean literally anything -  including an in-coming cell-phone call from a next appointment, an out-going call to her driver, or . . . wait for it. . .reaching out to Congressional leadership!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  CB @5.1.1    3 years ago
I could photograph anybody looking 'downcast' in lightning quick fashion (or film it) and it could mean literally anything -  including an in-coming cell-phone call from a next appointment, an out-going call to her driver, or . . . wait for it. . .reaching out to Congressional leadership!

Funny as only you are subscribing any meaning to the photo.

Methinks thou doth protest too much.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    3 years ago

The GOP have Trump.  The Dems have each other and anyone else they can persuade.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago
"The Democrats Are Stuck With Kamala Harris, Like It Or Not"

As are the Republicans, and although it's not a problem for the Democrats, obviously it is for the Republicans.