╌>

People dumped their goldfish into lakes. Now the pets are football-sized and taking over

Category:  Environment/Climate

Via:  hallux  •  3 years ago  •  18 comments

By:   Reis Thebault, Washington Post

People dumped their goldfish into lakes. Now the pets are football-sized and taking over
In fresh water, a goldfish freed is an invasive species which can live to be 25-years-old, weigh as much as four pounds and measure well over a foot long

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The invasion begins innocently enough: A goldfish paddles the secluded waters of an at-home aquarium, minding its own business, disturbing no native habitats. The real trouble comes later, when the human who put it there decides it’s time for a change. Not wanting to hurt the fish, but not wanting to keep it either, the pet’s owner decides to release it into a local lake, pond or waterway. That decision, experts say, is well-meaning but misguided — and potentially harmful.

Also available at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2021/07/11/minnesota-goldfish-invasive/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

I think one of them ate my cottage neighbor's cat.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2  1stwarrior    3 years ago

And, then there are the Everglades.  Anybody learn from that???

Invasive exotic (nonnative) species are seriously threatening the integrity of south Florida's native communities. With exotic fishes devouring native fish species and melaleuca trees shading out indigenous plants, the Florida Everglades is suffering from a barrage of pressures brought on by nonnative species. Far from their native homelands, these invaders have a competitive advantage over native species, often taking advantage of  disturbed lands . Because nonnative species typically lack natural predators, they can outcompete native species. They can multiply unchecked, using up valuable resources such as sunlight, water, and nutrients. Native species suffer from this intense competition.

Over the last decade, snakes from around the world have been turning up in Everglades National Park. The Burmese python is the best known and most problematic of these snakes. Despite all the attention on these snakes, park visitors are unlikely to see a python in the wild.

Burmese pythons are established in the park due to accidental or intentional release of captive pet animals. Pythons eat many different kinds of animals, and studies show that pythons are probably the main reason that  mammals have declined very sharply in number  in Everglades National Park. Even though pythons are large snakes, their coloring and behavior allows them to blend into the environment. Since they are so hard to find in the wild, estimating the number of pythons is very difficult.

Everglades National Park and our partners have spent more than 10 years  investigating   ways to remove pythons from the environment. We work to remove pythons from the park via our authorized agent program and we continue to support  research on how to mitigate Burmese pythons .

The problems posed by Burmese pythons in Everglades National Park show that preventing the release of exotic animals is extremely important. Once they are established, removal becomes much, much harder. YOU have an important role to play in preventing the spread and establishment of exotic species. Don’t release unwanted pets and learn other ways  you can help .  Remember “ Don’t Let it Loose .”

The park remains an extraordinary natural ecosystem and a wonderful place to visit. Remember, always keep a safe distance when viewing wildlife in the park (at least 15 to 20 feet; 4.5 to 6 meters) and do not harass or feed wildlife.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @2    3 years ago

Goldfish are an invasive species and can and do cause extensive harm to lakes and to native fish. One only has to google it and you can find quickly that many states ban them from being used as bait. 

Big Bear Lake in CA became infested with them and some are huge. They can survive lakes that freeze over. 

Seems dumb asses never learn about introducing an invasive species into native species eco system.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.1  evilone  replied to  Kavika @2.1    3 years ago
....many states ban them from being used as bait. 

I read a magazine article back when I was in the Coast Guard (got to be over 26 years now) about yahoos using gold fish as bait in some downtown street after a historical Mississippi river flood. It always stood with me as so wrong even then...

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.2  1stwarrior  replied to  evilone @2.1.1    3 years ago

Personal - when were you a Coastie?  I served 79 - 92.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  evilone @2.1.1    3 years ago

My uncle and son-in-law were Coasties. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.3    3 years ago

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.2    3 years ago

Being retired USN, I have had some good friends over the years that were "Shallow Water Navy"  Coasties!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.6  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @2.1.4    3 years ago

But, they are wearing puddle waders and hearing protection, right?

Have you ever tried to filet one of those things??

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
2.1.7  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Kavika @2.1    3 years ago

I remember seeing goldfish in bait shops, when I was a kid. I haven't seen them for a long time though. Had to look to see if they are outlawed here...they are. Article I read suggested that "if one got off of your line" it could damage the ecosystem. Hell! One? How many times have you seen people dump minnows in the lake? Can't imagine how many buckets of goldfish have been dumped. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    3 years ago

I read this earlier. Who in the world would think, let's throw the pet fish in the lake...

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ronin2  replied to  Ender @3    3 years ago

Anyone that thinks gold fish don't live very long (at least not in a fish tank or bowl); aren't predators; and will be easy prey for any native fish. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

Although not technically a koi fish, they would make great additions to a pond.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5  1stwarrior    3 years ago

Hell - I've had people tell me that they have thrown fish, lizards, snakes, baby gators in their toilets - and you know them baby's didn't drown.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6  Just Jim NC TttH    3 years ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Since they're really a kind of carp, they could make pretty good gefilte fish if mixed with a more local species such as whitefish or pike. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
7.1  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    3 years ago

Morning buzz. Yes they are a carp and they have got into our water ways...to the point they have taken them over completely...

One of the things were have done is turn them into fish fertilizer for your garden etc...no smell and people highly recommend it.

They are not good eating as they taste like mud...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @7.1    3 years ago

Sorry to hear that.  There goes my idea of producing a new brand of gefilte fish called Golden Koi Gefilte Fish.  LOL