╌>

Dr. Farah Khan: Mom told she was put on no-fly list for disposing dirty diaper

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  3 years ago  •  8 comments

By:   Ellie SpinaJuly 13, 2021, 2:49 PM·3 min read (YahooNews)

Dr. Farah Khan: Mom told she was put on no-fly list for disposing dirty diaper
It was just profanities. Vulgarities.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A Seattle mom claims she was put on a no-fly list for trying to dispose of her child's soiled diaper on a Mesa Airlines flight.

Dr. Farah Naz Khan was travelling with her husband and one-year-old daughter from Kalispell, Montana, to Houston on Friday, when midway through the flight, her daughter's diaper needed to be changed.

In an interview with TODAY, Khan, a physician and assistant professor at the University of Washington, said she took her daughter to a diaper changing station at the back of the aircraft and disposed of the used diaper in a scented, plastic bag in the airplane bathroom trash. Khan said she was headed back to her seat when she was "accosted" by a male flight attendant.

"When I walked back to the front holding my diaper wipes container and, like, the pad that we used to change my daughter's diaper on, the flight attendant accosted me and said: 'Did you just dispose of a diaper back there? That's a biohazard,'" Khan said.

Farah Naz Khan says a Mesa Airlines flight attendant put her on a no-fly list after disposing of a dirty diaper during a recent flight. (Photo by Alex Tai/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images)

According to Khan, before she could even explain herself, the flight attendant allegedly began making a scene, yelling and digging through the garbage trying to retrieve the diaper.

Khan said she felt "humiliated" and "belittled." Upon landing, she filled out and submitted a customer service incident report, and later received call from a 1-800 number. When she picked up, she recognized the man's voice as the flight attendant from earlier that day.

"I recognized the voice. He said, 'Due to a biohazard incident on the plane today, we've placed you on the no-fly list.' This made me very angry, because I suffered the humiliating experience. ... They are placing me on a no-fly list?" Khan recalled. "I also didn't dispose of the diaper on the plane, even if it was considered a biohazard. I walked it off the plane and threw it away myself outside the flight."

A spokesperson from Mesa Airlines issued a statement, saying that "the details as described by our customer do not meet the high standards that Mesa sets for our flight attendants and we are reviewing the matter."

Khan said the call became increasingly hostile after she was informed she had been placed on a no-fly zone.

"It's just profanities. Vulgarities. 'You people bring your children everywhere. Don't you know that some people just want a peaceful flight and don't want to listen to your effing children?'" the flight attendant allegedly told Khan over the phone.

Khan, who is South Asian Muslim and American, believes the flight attendant was being derogatory by saying "you people" during the phone call. She told TODAY that her daughter was with her while she spoke to the airline on speakerphone for three minutes. Khan said the flight attendant told her, "I hear your obnoxious daughter in the background."

Khan says she doesn't believe she was actually placed on a no-fly list, and flew back to Houston on Monday. She has been in contact with United Airlines, a partner of Mesa Airlines, but was unable to obtain any information about the flight attendant, how he accessed her cell phone number and whether or not he's been disciplined.

"I'm legitimately worried about this person," she said. "Over a diaper if he's able to call me and say those things, what else could he be capable of?"

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

Bullshit AF.

First of all, no flight attendant on this planet would dig through a lavatory trash can under any circumstance.  Most flight attendants do everything they can to avoid stepping one toe in any of the aircraft lavatories before, during, or after a flight.  They would rather pee in the first class food galley sink.

And this:

she filled out and submitted a customer service incident report, and later received call from a 1-800 number. When she picked up, she recognized the man's voice as the flight attendant from earlier that day.  "I recognized the voice. He said, 'Due to a biohazard incident on the plane today, we've placed you on the no-fly list.

...is so absurd, I have both eyeballs spinning in one socket. Flight attendants do not handle customer service reports submitted by passengers, nor do they have any say whatsoever regarding who is placed on a no-fly list. If they did have a say, the no-fly list would be quadruple what it is now.  In addition, my first clue that this lady was a really bad liar is the fact that she said she received a same-day response from customer service.  To airline customer service reps, a speedy response is 7 to 10 days.  In dog years.  

I don't know what this lady's game is, but if she is hoping for a hefty civil suit payday, she is going to be disappointed. 

Professor Guide
2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

This fool also needs to get her story straight.

Version 1:  

She said she took her daughter to a diaper changing station at the back of the aircraft and disposed of the used diaper in a scented, plastic bag in the airplane bathroom trash.

Version 2:

I also didn't dispose of the diaper on the plane. I walked it off the plane and threw it away myself outside the flight." 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2    3 years ago

Like most liars, she couldn't manage to keep her story straight, giving herself a big goose egg to boot.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.2  evilone  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2    3 years ago

Those versions aren't mutually exclusive IF the flight attendant did pull the diaper from the trash as she alleges. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3  Raven Wing    3 years ago

Good seed Sister. Flight Attendants have been given such a bad name due to the brain dead people on the planes these days, like the Karens, those who refuse to wear a mask, those who try to break in to the pilots cabin, and those who try to open the doors during flights, as well as various passenger fights.

I am not a flight attendant and never have been, but, I've been on enough flights to have a fairly good knowledge of what they do and don't do. The person who put the blame on a flight attendant over a dirty diaper in the bathroom does not have all her facts straight, just what appears to be a hard on for the flight attendant she named for some reason.

Also, even if she did leave the dirty diaper in the bathroom trash, where else is she supposed to leave the dirty diaper? It the galley? Under her chair? So that part does not ring true.

And as you say, where does a flight attendant get the authority to determine who gets put on the no fly list?

So my take on the story is that that the person filing the complaint must have had as set-to with the attendant about something and just made up the story to try and get the attendant fired. However, like you, she likely won't a legal leg to stand on in a court of law.

JMOO

Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Raven Wing @3    3 years ago
Also, even if she did leave the dirty diaper in the bathroom trash, where else is she supposed to leave the dirty diaper? It the galley? Under her chair? So that part does not ring true.

I agree!  Most commercial aircraft have at least one lavatory fold-down shelf meant specifically for diaper changes during flights.  They were installed in an effort to assist parental units from having to change their kid's diaper at their seat.  Flight attendants considered it a puke fall-out preventative.  I've worked flights where the stench of the collateral damage puke was worse than the stench of the diaper itself. 

While it's understood that often times it's necessary for a diaper to be changed while passengers are required to remain seated, it's customary for the diaper to be placed into an airsick bag and stowed in the seat pocket in front of them.  However, you might be surprised at the number of parents who try to hand flight attendants a dirty diaper (minus the airsick bag) during a food or beverage service.  Talk about gross!  I haven't flown in years, and the mere thought makes me nauseous.  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4  Bob Nelson    3 years ago

Why is this "news"? (It's a good seed, once it's on the wire, but why did it ever get there?) 

Professor Guide
4.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Bob Nelson @4    3 years ago
(It's a good seed, once it's on the wire, but why did it ever get there?)

Why?  Two possible reasons:  Either this silly lady put it there, or it's a bogus story intended to act as click bait.  Or both.