╌>

The Ark Two, Canada’s largest private bunker, has lost its Noah

Category:  Other

Via:  hallux  •  3 years ago  •  13 comments

By:   Josh K. Elliott Global News

The Ark Two, Canada’s largest private bunker, has lost its Noah
He buried 42 school buses in the 1980s and linked them together into the world’s largest private fallout shelter, the Ark Two.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Bruce Beach   had always planned to be around for the end of the world, because he was going to start the new one from the safety of his sprawling underground   bunker .

The wispy-bearded inventor spent half of his life preparing to be a post-apocalyptic Noah from his home in Horning’s Mills, a tiny community outside Orangeville, Ont.

He buried 42 school buses in the 1980s and linked them together into the world’s largest private fallout shelter, the   Ark Two . Then he recruited friends, family and fellow survivalists to his cause, assembled plans for restarting society after the   nukes   hit and began developing a universal language that would supposedly unite humanity through a common tongue.

He did all this under the assumption that the world would end soon, and that he’d be around to start a new one.

But Bruce Beach’s life came to an end before the world did, after he suffered a heart attack at age 87. Beach died on May 10, leaving behind an ailing wife, five grown children, a massive bunker, some half-finished plans for a new world and no instructions for how to carry on without him.

Now his family, friends and followers are facing a cataclysmic question of their own: What next? Will someone continue Beach’s mission up to and beyond an uncertain Doomsday — or will the Ark Two be buried with its Noah?

The contents are far too long and I'm feeling lazy, however, there is no paywall so just click on the seed link.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Masters Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

Only crazy people go to Heaven, it ran out of space for the sane millennials ago.

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    3 years ago

The way it looks, a bomb could easily destroy it.

Hallux
Masters Principal
2.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Ender @2    3 years ago

There isn't anything out there to waste a bomb on.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Hallux @2.1    3 years ago

I don't know. There were quite a lot of nuclear missles/bombs produced before and during the 80's. Surely someone has an extra bomb or 2 to spare for more...remote locations? Like,

"we have some extra missiles? What should we do with them?"
"Maybe there's some crazy hicks out there we can drop them on. After all, missiles are useless if we don't use them." 

Lol

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    3 years ago

Looking at the vid. I honestly didn't think it would look that bad.

That was just awful.

zuksam
Junior Silent
3.1  zuksam  replied to  Ender @3    3 years ago

50 years of moisture just imagine the smell, but if the bombs started dropping it wouldn't seem as bad. I've seen vids of abandoned missile silos that just filled with water once the pumps weren't running. I would think you'd need to dehumidify the whole shelter just to keep it from getting mold and mildew. I just don't think he has the budget to maintain it to "Greenbrier" standards. Since the Greenbrier has been declassified and de-commissioned the US Government must have a new and better shelter somewhere.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4  Gordy327    3 years ago
What next? Will someone continue Beach’s mission up to and beyond an uncertain Doomsday — or will the Ark Two be buried with its Noah?

Perhaps a better question is, why would anyone want to survive after a civilization ending apocalypse?  What's the old saying: "the living would envy the dead."

Hallux
Masters Principal
4.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Gordy327 @4    3 years ago

Fredric Brown's "Knock":

"The last man on earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock on the door...."

1948 issue of THRILLING WONDER STORIES

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Hallux @4.1    3 years ago

Thanks for that.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Some may think that all Canadians are "bland" but Bruce Beach was proof that it had its characters and weirdos as well.  

I thought that Esperanto, created in the late 19th century, was meant to be the universal language, so Beach didn't have to invent a new one.

Hallux
Masters Principal
5.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    3 years ago
Bruce Beach

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hallux @5.1    3 years ago

Coimedy.com?  At first I thought it was all a joke,  but is wasn't.

Hallux
Masters Principal
6  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

... and to close out: Bruce Beach