╌>

Capitol Rioter Sentenced to 8 Months in Prison - The New York Times

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  48 comments

By:   Alan Feuer (nytimes)

Capitol Rioter Sentenced to 8 Months in Prison - The New York Times
The sentence could serve as an indicator for scores of similar cases.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

merlin_188641392_7ac663a9-bb5f-438d-bfa0-37714c564265-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale Paul A. Hodgkins stood in the Senate on Jan. 6. He was sentenced on Monday to eight months in prison.Credit...U.S. Capitol Police, via Associated Press

By Alan Feuer

• July 19, 2021, 1:03 p.m. ET

The first person to have pleaded guilty to storming the Capitol on Jan. 6 with the intention of stopping the certification of the Electoral College vote was sentenced on Monday to eight months in prison in what could serve as an indicator for scores of similar cases.

The defendant, Paul A. Hodgkins, pleaded guilty last month to a single felony count — obstruction of an official proceeding before Congress — and admitted to breaching the Senate floor with a Trump flag and backpack filled with items like goggles, rope and a pair of latex gloves.

Mr. Hodgkins' acknowledgment that he had gone deep into the Capitol intending to disrupt the peaceful transition of power set him apart in the eyes of prosecutors from scores of other members of the mob who merely walked into the building, causing no disturbance or destruction.

At his sentencing hearing in Federal District Court in Washington, Judge Randolph D. Moss said there needed to be "severe consequences" for the Jan. 6 attack, but also noted that Mr. Hodgkins, a 38-year-old Florida crane operator, was a first-time offender.

While Mr. Hodgkins' sentence was less than the 18 months the government had asked for, Judge Moss pointed out that the events of Jan. 6 — when, as he noted, a mob assaulted the home of Congress and forced legislators to drop the business of democracy and flee — were "extraordinary" and chilling."

"When a mob is prepared to attack the Capitol," he said, "democracy is in trouble."

Continue reading the main story

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Others will get longer sentences based on their individual activities that day. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

What was that about them being "tourists" that day ? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    3 years ago

Only eight months?  Not nearly enough . 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tessylo @3    3 years ago

Apparently his sentence was lighter because he was not violent and did not damage any property that day. 

Although it is tempting to say just lock them all up and throw away the key , the court is going to sentence them on an individual basis. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    3 years ago

"Apparently his sentence was lighter because he was not violent and did not damage any property that day."

That's certainly something to consider.  

It's reasonable to give the stiffer sentences to the trumpturds who did the most damage/violence/harm.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @3    3 years ago
ts680_210719-627x376.jpg

Viewpoint

Jul 19, 2021 @ 6:30 am | Cartoons| 3

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     3 years ago

Hope they all serve time, the more the time the better. 

The FBI arrested two LEO's in Florida this last week, father and son. Real bright bulbs those two.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

At least he was convicted of a felony.  Now he will lose his right to vote which is one less for Trump if he does run again.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1  evilone  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    3 years ago
Now he will lose his right to vote which is one less for Trump if he does run again.

Chances are this person didn't vote anyway. But that felony conviction does other damages for years.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  evilone @5.1    3 years ago

Chances are also that he will try to vote illegally.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.2  Sunshine  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    3 years ago
Now he will lose his right to vote

For now.  Democrats would like that changed.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Sunshine @5.2    3 years ago

What do you mean sunshine?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.2.2  Sunshine  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.1    3 years ago

Democrats want felons voting rights reinstated.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Sunshine @5.2.2    3 years ago

Once they've done their time, their voting rights should be reinstated.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.3    3 years ago

Some felons can petition for reinstatement but considering that lives were lost, I doubt that he will regain the right to vote.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.2.5  Snuffy  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.2.4    3 years ago

I believe that also will depend on which state he ends up in after he's released.  From what i can find, the power to restore civil rights is a states issue even for federal felonies. It's a complicated issue to be sure. I would have no problems with him never getting his 2nd amendment rights back as he's proven he's really too stupid to own and handle a gun.  I mean..  if  you can't know that following people, who just broke down windows and doors, into the Capital building might just be the wrong thing to do, I really don't want you handling a gun around me.   Voting rights may be a different story.

But I believe the restoration of any civil rights will be determined by the state he resides in after release.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    3 years ago

If he is one of the ones who has been in jail all this time, I imagine the sentence amounts to “time-served” and he goes home.

backpack filled with items like goggles, rope and a pair of latex gloves.

Oooo scary. I mean I guess there are some interesting things you could do with rope, but goggles? Latex gloves? Just wondering why anyone would care.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @6    3 years ago
I mean I guess there are some interesting things you could do with rope, but goggles? Latex gloves? Just wondering why anyone would care.

I'm not sure you would ever take those items shopping, would you?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @6.1    3 years ago

I don’t know why someone is carrying around goggles and gloves, but they’re aren’t exactly your typical criminal’s tools.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.1    3 years ago

Rope for restraints, goggles for the expected pepper spray and gloves to prevent DNA or fingerprint transfer?

Sounds link 2/3s of a rape kit or a full riot kit.

jmoo.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.2    3 years ago
Rope for restraints

Or rescue. Or climbing.

goggles for the expected pepper spray

That just sounds smart. We have seen many instances of police using tear gas or pepper spray that seemed unwarranted or excessive.

gloves to prevent DNA or fingerprint transfer?

Who knows? If he wasn’t wearing them, then it doesn’t seem like a priority. 

Again, the mere presence of these objects doesn’t tell us anything conclusive. They could be consistent with and endless variety of intentions.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.4  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.3    3 years ago
Or climbing.

As in gaining access to trespass?

They could be consistent with and endless variety of intentions.

Sure, he traveled from Florida  to go rock climbing at Carder Rock or Scott's Run after participating

in overthrowing the government.

jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

If you reread this

backpack filled with items like goggles, rope and a pair of latex gloves.

I think "like" is the operative word and based on the 8 month felony sentence

and so apparently, did the Judge.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Ender  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.4    3 years ago

The justifications for these people are mind numbing.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.4    3 years ago

Unbelievable how they justify this, unfreakingbelieveable

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Ender  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.6    3 years ago

This guy was going to rob my house...

No I wasn't.

Then why do you have a bag with a crowbar, duct tape, gloves, mask etc.

Well that is just being practical....

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.8  Tacos!  replied to  Ender @6.1.5    3 years ago
The justifications for these people are mind numbing.

Justifications for what? Carrying objects that are legal to carry? Is that what you’re concerned about?

Now, if think I’m justifying trespass, or violence, then yeah, your mind would have to be numb because that’s not what I said.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.9  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.6    3 years ago
Unbelievable how they justify this, unfreakingbelieveable

What is it you think is being justified?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.10  Tacos!  replied to  Ender @6.1.7    3 years ago

Ok but this guy didn’t have a crowbar, did he?

Duct tape? Why does duct tape imply a crime?

Mask ≠ goggles.

I have a box of latex gloves in my truck. Does that make me a burglar?

Do you really think that in the scenario of thousands of people storming the Capitol, fingerprints would be a big deal?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.11  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.10    3 years ago

I think , prior to Jan 6th, you would have to look long and hard, and never find, someone bringing rope and goggles and latex gloves when they went to tour the Capitol Building. 

Your frequent desire to defend the indefensible has people scratching their heads I think. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.12  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.11    3 years ago
Your frequent desire to defend the indefensible has people scratching their heads I think. 

Your frequent misinterpretation of my plain language has me scratching my head. Exactly what is it that you think I have defended? I haven’t defended any illegal activity. Your ability to see something that isn’t there is on you, not me.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.13  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.12    3 years ago

Like I said, I am rather sure that many people will be scratching their heads after reading your comments about the gloves, goggles, and rope. 

I have nothing else to say about it. 

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.14  Ender  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.10    3 years ago

I have just read posts people have made where they admitted what they were planning on doing.

All of them? Probably not. I think we will see different outcomes and different charges.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.15  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.10    3 years ago

We don't know, do we?

The statement was that he had suspicious items "Like" X,Y and Z, without stating the complete inventory

of the back pack.

The fact is, he is pictured in the Senate chambers, trespassing

and admitted to entering to stop the election results from being ratified.

He plead guilty to a felony and had 4 misdemeanors waived.

End of discussion.

Everything else is just spinning like Dori.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.16  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.15    3 years ago
The fact is, he is pictured in the Senate chambers, trespassing

That is not in dispute. All I did was question why we should care about the contents of his bag. The fact of those items is just thrown out there with no explanation. I guess we’re just supposed to go “tut tut!” raise our eyebrows, and wring our hands in outrage because . . . well no one really knows why - at least nobody who’s honest about it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @6    3 years ago
Oooo scary. I mean I guess there are some interesting things you could do with rope, but goggles? Latex gloves? Just wondering why anyone would care.

I can think of a lot of reasons to care if someone took those things to a rally supposedly based on disrupting Congress. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2    3 years ago
I can think of a lot of reasons to care if someone took those things to a rally supposedly based on disrupting Congress.

For example?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @6.2.1    3 years ago

For example you were going to use chemicals or anticipated having chemicals used on you. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.2.3  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.2    3 years ago

I’d say unless he had chemicals with him, it’s the latter. Packing protection seems more like prudence than evidence of criminal intent.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @6.2.3    3 years ago

Why would he be worried about the police using chemicals on him if he was planning to peacefully protest?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.4    3 years ago
Why would he be worried about the police using chemicals on him if he was planning to peacefully protest?

Perhaps he listened to too much rhetoric coming from the left about how bad police are?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.2.6  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.4    3 years ago

I mean . . . Is that a serious question?

Images of police using violence against peaceful protesters are going viral

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

Another martyr is born.

JBB
Professor Principal
8.1  JBB  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8    3 years ago

original

JBB
Professor Principal
9  JBB    3 years ago

original

JBB
Professor Principal
10  JBB    3 years ago

Those who harmed people and property are charged with felonies with considerably harsher penalties...