Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  3 years ago  •  48 comments

By:   Ron Dicker, HuffPost

Alabama Council Member Tommy Bryant Utters Stunning Racist Slur In Meeting

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Alabama Council Member Tommy Bryant Utters Stunning Racist Slur In Meeting

Ron Dicker

Wed, July 21, 2021, 7:40 AM

A Tarrant, Alabama, city council member casually blurted out a shocking racist slur at a meeting on Monday, video shows. (Watch it below.)

“Do we have a house nigger in here? Do we? Do we? Will she please stand up?” Tommy Bryant said, according to the   Daily Beast .

Bryant was apparently talking about Council Member Veronica Freeman, who is Black, the outlet noted.

Just before the outburst, a member of the public questioned Bryant about his wife using the slur on social media, according to   Bama Politics .

“The video speaks for itself,” said Mayor Wayman Newton, who is Black, per the Daily Beast.

Bryant accused Newton of using the term previously to describe Freeman and said he repeated it to amplify the gravity of it,   AL.com reported .

Tensions have simmered between Bryant and Newton, Bama Politics noted. The Daily Beast also reported a “power struggle” between Newton and the white ex-police chief, Dennis Reno.

The Alabama Democratic Party demanded that Bryant resign, per AL.com

This article originally appeared on HuffPost  and has been updated.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

“Do we have a house nigger in here? Do we? Do we? Will she please stand up?” Tommy Bryant said, according to the    Daily Beast  .

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

Geez, these scumbags aren't even hiding their racism anymore.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @2    3 years ago

oops, his trumpster slipped out...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Could be senility. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 years ago

Doubtful.  These scumbags are just too comfortable with this shit.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 years ago

This douche canoe probably has been a racist all of his life so I doubt that senility is the cause.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4  Just Jim NC TttH    3 years ago

The REST of the story......................

"The councilman later said he was only repeating what Tarrant Mayor Wayman Newton, the city’s first Black mayor, called City Councilwoman Veronica Freeman.
In an interview Tuesday night with WVTM , Bryant said there was a difference between his use of the n-word and Newton’s alleged use of it.

“He said it in a derogatory manner, I said it so people would know what the mayor said,” Bryant said. “The mayor was being derogatory toward Veronica Freeman when he said that.”

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  Kavika   replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4    3 years ago
The REST of the story...................

The rest of the story is right in the posted article. Now that this dumbass put his foot in his mouth he is claiming that Newton said the same, does he have proof, was it in a meeting that would have the minutes, or is he back peddling to cover his dumb ass?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Kavika @4.1    3 years ago

How convenient.............

"Earlier Tuesday, Newton told AL.com in a statement: “The video speaks for itself.” He could not be reached later Tuesday about whether he used the n-word toward Freeman.
Freeman also could not be reached."

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.2  evilone  replied to  Kavika @4.1    3 years ago

Us non-racist supporting people know it was wrong even if this "rest of the story" bullshit is true. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  evilone @4.1.2    3 years ago

Agreed. Didn't say it was right. Nor is it right that anyone use that word no matter the circumstance. PERIOD. 

And this..............

if this "rest of the story" bullshit is true.

Doesn't indicate that you truly are open to the whole story.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @4.1.2    3 years ago

[deleted]

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.5  evilone  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.3    3 years ago
Agreed. Didn't say it was right. Nor is it right that anyone use that word no matter the circumstance. PERIOD. 

I'm glad we can agree on something. Really! I'm glad that you and I can find common ground.

Doesn't indicate that you truly are open to the whole story.

If it's true - it's true, but we only have this douchcanoe's word right now and as you have said it wasn't right so his explanation could still be considered BULLSHIT.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.6  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.4    3 years ago
Removed for context

That's all you have? Thinly veiled personal attacks?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.7  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @4.1.2    3 years ago

I posted the whole story  [Removed, Violation of restriction order]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago
A Tarrant, Alabama, city council member casually blurted out a shocking racist slur at a meeting on Monday, video shows. (Watch it below.)

“Do we have a house nigger in here? Do we? Do we? Will she please stand up?” Tommy Bryant said, according to the   Daily Beast .

Bryant was apparently talking about Council Member Veronica Freeman, who is Black, the outlet noted.

Just before the outburst, a member of the public questioned Bryant about his wife using the slur on social media, according to  Bama Politics .

“The video speaks for itself,” said Mayor Wayman Newton , who is Black, per the Daily Beast.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
6  SteevieGee    3 years ago

So...  Testing the waters for a gubernatorial run?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  SteevieGee @6    3 years ago

Gawd let's hope not

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

[deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @7    3 years ago

It would be a term used by progressive Blacks to keep other Blacks in line.

I doub't a racist would add the word "House" to a racial slur. This is another case of common sense leading us to what happened here.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.1    3 years ago

Common sense?  I see no proof of that in any of the deniers' comments here.  

I guess we can call you blacksplainers now.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.1    3 years ago
blacksplainers

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8  Greg Jones    3 years ago

So it's OK if a black person utters the slur?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
8.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Greg Jones @8    3 years ago

Not in my house it isn't.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Although I could not find the smoking gun, apparently Tommy Bryant's wife had previously used the n-word on Facebook in regards to something else. 

At this council meeting someone in the audience yelled out a question about Bryant's wife's racism, and to deflect from that and cause a distraction, Bryant said what he did as a "quote" from the mayor. 

They have more issues going on there than just this one sentence at the council meeting. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
10  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

I’ve said this before and I’m sure it’s not a popular thing to say in progressive circles, but the outrage over the n word is a bit silly considering how frequently it gets used by black people.  My wife and I made it a drinking game when we watch the Chi on Showime.  I got pretty lit up last night over it - I think there were about 30 swigs.  How is it not weird to be more offended as a white person when hearing that word in conversation than a black person?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @10    3 years ago

This is where we disagree but that's your right.  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
10.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Tessylo @10.1    3 years ago

The solution starts with black people finding a term of endearment that doesn’t double as a racial slur.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @10.1.1    3 years ago

If they want to use that word it's totally up to them.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @10.1.1    3 years ago

Maybe some black teachers or leaders should have black kids who throw the n word around watch the movie 12 Years A Slave (a true story) so they can see how much of a racial slur it really is. The word is used many times in the movie as the way slaveowners talked to and about their slaves. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
10.1.4  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1.3    3 years ago

But how do you dampen racism if you never stop using a word that is considered offensive solely based on the race of who says it.  Do other countries do this I wonder?  If your mom is black and your dad is white, is it okay for mom to blurt out this word 20 times in a conversation while teaching their child how offensive it is if dad used it once?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @10    3 years ago

most white guys look ridiculous when they use the word homie. Multiply that by about 20 for the n word. 

White people should leave it alone no matter how many gangbangers use it. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
10.2.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @10.2    3 years ago

I agree that white people shouldn’t use it, but I disagree that black people should be offended by the use of a word based solely on the color of who says it.  How about everyone stop using a horrible racist slur?  I’ve heard it said that the English language is the most complicated of all languages - imagine trying to explain that rule to a foreigner.

I’m curious if South African black people run around calling their black friends kaffir.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @10.2.1    3 years ago
 How about everyone stop using a horrible racist slur?

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

218352171_3495431923893504_4605269394595296866_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=nTVAQj-sZFsAX8iRhNd&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=291efc19f109b19a68a6547e27151d5a&oe=60FE2B47

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Tessylo @11    3 years ago

love it, and so true

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @11    3 years ago

That's a photo of the first day of school for the Little Rock Nine. Nine African-American teenagers attending an all white school in Little Rock, AR.

evilone
Professor Guide
11.2.1  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @11.2    3 years ago

I've been looking into the history of school integration during the 60's and 70's. Several white schools were burned to the ground (at least one of them twice) rather than letting blacks in.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @11.2.1    3 years ago

Isn't that the definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face?

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.2.3  Kavika   replied to  evilone @11.2.1    3 years ago

I couldn't go to a white school in the 1950s in MN and in the 1960s there were still signs around that said ''no dogs or Indians''.

In 1965 I was refused service at a diner in Devils Lake ND. I was on my way home from my 2nd tour in Nam and I was in uniform.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @11.2.3    3 years ago

But that was so long ago Kavika. Some people alive today werent even born then. /s. 

evilone
Professor Guide
11.2.5  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @11.2.2    3 years ago
Isn't that the definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face?

There was a whole generation of people in the South (the North wasn't immune either) that didn't get much of an education prior to the change in our economic model from labor to information in the 80's. Then we had those same Dixiecrats like Reagan come along and call them lazy when they were largely unemployable.

evilone
Professor Guide
11.2.6  evilone  replied to  Kavika @11.2.3    3 years ago

I remember when I was knee high (60's into the 70's) and "Indians" weren't allowed in most bars. And my step-father trying to explain to me that this one guy wasn't considered an Indian because he worked hard and had a house off the reservation. Yes, my step-father was a racist bigot of his time.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.2.7  Kavika   replied to  evilone @11.2.6    3 years ago

That is a familiar refrain, EG. I've heard it a thousand times and there wasn't a bar anywhere near where I lived that would let an Indian in and that was into the 70's. 

There is a reason that Indians call MN, WI and MI the ''Deep North''.

Kavika
Professor Principal
12  Kavika     3 years ago

A US Army paratrooper uses the butt of his rifle to nudge along a man identified as C.E. Blake, who was hit in the head when he tried to take a weapon from a trooper near Central High School.

The trooper should have shoved that bayonet right up his racist ass.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
12.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @12    3 years ago

what a dumbass!

Ender
Professor Principal
14  Ender    3 years ago

Holy cow. I just watched the vid. He is a racist asshole plain and simple.

No way around that.