╌>

Pink offers to cover Norwegian women's beach handball team fine for not playing in bikinis

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  3 years ago  •  26 comments

By:   Wilson Wong

Pink offers to cover Norwegian women's beach handball team fine for not playing in bikinis
Pink tweeted her support for the Norwegian women's beach handball team after they were fined about $1,700 for not wearing bikinis during a game.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The singer-songwriter Pink is offering to pay the fine levied on the Norwegian women's handball team for refusing to play in bikini bottoms during a game in the sport's Euro 2021 tournament.

Last week, the European Handball Association fined the women's team 1,500 euros, or about $1,700, for "improper clothing" because the women's team wore thigh-length elastic shorts during their bronze medal match against Spain in protest of the regulation bikini-bottom design.

1626891161742_ott_now_handballteam_210721_1920x1080.jpg

Norwegian women's beach handball team fined for refusing to play in bikini bottoms

The pop star said she would be happy to cover the cost.

"I'm VERY proud of the Norwegian female beach handball team FOR PROTESTING THE VERY SEXIST RULES ABOUT THEIR 'uniform,'" she tweeted Saturday. "The European handball federation SHOULD BE FINED FOR SEXISM. Good on ya, ladies. I'll be happy to pay your fines for you. Keep it up."

I'm VERY proud of the Norwegian female beach handball team FOR PROTESTING THE VERY SEXIST RULES ABOUT THEIR "uniform". The European handball federation SHOULD BE FINED FOR SEXISM. Good on ya, ladies. I'll be happy to pay your fines for you. Keep it up.
— P!nk (@Pink) July 25, 2021

Norwegian Handball Federation President Kre Geir Lio told NBC News last week that it was "not [appropriate clothing for] the activity when they are playing in the sand."

The team had petitioned to wear the shorts its players train in from the start of the tournament, Lio said, but was threatened by the EHA with a fine or disqualification.

Male players are allowed to play in tank tops and shorts no longer than 4 inches above the knee, while women are required to wear midriff-baring tops and bikini bottoms "with a close fit and cut on an upward angle toward the top of the leg" and a maximum side width of 4 inches, according to International Handball Federation regulations.

By last Sunday's bronze medal game, however, the women decided to make a statement.

"It was very spontaneous," player Katinka Haltvik told the Norwegian broadcaster NRK. "We thought, 'Let's just do it now, and then see what happens."

The move prompted overwhelming support for the team, with Norway's minister of culture calling the antiquated rule "completely ridiculous!"

"How many attitude changes are needed in the old-fashioned international patriarchy of sports?"

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

A rule probably made by a bunch of filthy-minded frustrated old voyeuristic men.  Why didn't they require the men to play in jockstraps?

R-C.9cf6e35bb9df0c759440660a3ce73aa4?rik=dg2dS92doW4VRQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2fcdn.shopify.com%2fs%2ffiles%2f1%2f0862%2f7808%2fproducts%2fDB_Gabe_Shoot_WEB-1_1024x1024.jpg%3fv%3d1545668505&ehk=%2fGgTq5NiYy6TUQUS6e1wmUnt%2bKqP4cYkz5wBbFzedAw%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    3 years ago

That's called diving...  jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @1.1    3 years ago

LMAO!!!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    3 years ago

Good for her, and kudos to the Norwegian beach handball team.

epistte
Junior Participates
2.1  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    3 years ago

I love P!NK. I'm 99.9% hetero but she might be the only woman that I might ever have had a crush on. Her F-U attitude is so refreshing.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Ender  replied to  epistte @2.1    3 years ago

I loved the way she stuck up for herself when people were criticizing their parenting skills.

I always thought, she didn't have to show her kids. She did it for the fans so they could see her family. And people shit on it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    3 years ago

I love Pink!  She's the best.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @3    3 years ago

I never really got into her or her music, but now I am a fan of hers even if she never sings another note.  It might be a beach sport, but bikinis belong on the beach, not in a serious competition.  Let the perv men who mandated this bs go get their rocks off elsewhere.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1    3 years ago

I've enjoyed her music ever since her first CD.  

It's ridiculous that the women are required to wear a bikini.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     3 years ago

I think that the European Handball Association should go play with their own balls.

evilone
Professor Guide
5  evilone    3 years ago

I've been following the story. Because of the outcry I expect to see a rule change before the next season. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

If they refuse to end this stupid requirement, the men should have to play in banana hammocks which are two sizes to small.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
6.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6    3 years ago

I like that idea Paula.

Veronica
Professor Guide
7  Veronica    3 years ago

Good.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

Why are women required to wear such skimpy uniforms when competing? Even the gymnasts are up in arms about the skimpy leotard they're forced to wear. One team is wearing a full body leotard

Ender
Professor Principal
8.1  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @8    3 years ago

Should have read your comment before I posted. Haha

Gordy327
Professor Guide
8.2  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @8    3 years ago

The Olympics needs some way of attracting spectators and viewers jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @8.2    3 years ago

I see lol

Gordy327
Professor Guide
8.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.2.1    3 years ago

Like what you see? jrSmiley_16_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @8.2.2    3 years ago

I am a straight female but I can appreciate a well toned female body

Gordy327
Professor Guide
8.2.4  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.2.3    3 years ago

So can I. jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Ender
Professor Principal
9  Ender    3 years ago

I think it was the German gymnastics team that refused to wear regulation outfits too.

Not sure what happened with that.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
9.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @9    3 years ago

Indeedy!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
10  Greg Jones    3 years ago

[deleted]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11  sandy-2021492    3 years ago

Freewill
Junior Quiet
12  Freewill    3 years ago

They are athletes.  They should wear what makes them most comfortable when they compete, so that they can focus on their sport and compete at their highest level.  The beach volleyball athletes are amazing, male and female.  They make what is extremely difficult look so graceful and easy.  Some of the best athletes in the world in my opinion.